Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are we the only two people in the room who get this? For sure, the problem should be brought to Pentax' attention, but that will sure happen very quickly bubbling up through the sales channel than from the mumblings on some Internet forum. Every camera returned from a legitimate sales outlet carries considerable weight.
Steve
We all know how it SHOULD work out but can we use the DA*16-50 SDM as an example of how badly it can work out if Pentax never owns up to a problem?

12-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #107
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Dammit all to hell. Mine has it, too. Did wet cleaning to no avail.

Here are a few comments and rants:
1) I purchased mine from Amazon and while I could easily exchange it with them without much fanfare I'm going to try to return through Pentax. Why? Because some warehouse employee is simply going to grab another K5 off the shelf and send it out -- another draw from the hat. Whereas I imagine Pentax will ensure a defect-free replacement.

2) Someone posted a comment suggesting this isn't a big deal since it's under warranty. Just send it back. This is a big deal to me since my calendar is practically booked this month with shoots - this is holiday season! I sold my K7 to fund this purchase and my d700 was recently stolen. No way I'm going to show up at my client's place with my Nex.

3) Just noticed that the "Dust Alert" function is not available -- WTF?!? Why? It was there on my K7. I'm not one for conspiracies but either Pentax QA is completely inept or they knew damn well about this problem and wasn't willing to sacrifice the holiday shopping season. I know for sure "Dust Alert" would have picked this up.

4) I wish I wasn't so consistently impulsive. There was no pressing reason to upgrade to the K5 but no, I had to have it.

5) In reality, this defect won't have any real impact. I'm not shooting at very small apertures. But I spent $1430 for a body, too.
1) While it's true that returning it to Pentax might give you a better shot at a defect-free body, I imagine that might take a while and would directly impact your point in comment (2). If you got a replacement from Amazon, while there is no guarantee you'd get a "good copy", at least you'd never have any downtime without a body. Worst case you send the second body back along with the original if they're both "bad".

2) Sold both my K-7 and K-x as well. Having second thoughts about not holding on to one of them, at least for a little while.

3) Make sure you have the body set to AF. If the body is set to MF, "Dust Alert" will be grayed out (per my experience and the K-5 manual).

4) Same here.

5) Agreed.

Last edited by dgaies; 12-05-2010 at 09:18 PM.
12-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #108
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
1) 3) Make sure you have the body set to AF. If the body is set to MF, "Dust Alert" will be grayed out (per my experience and the K-5 manual).
Thanks! Now I'm going to go back and edit it out my original comment...
12-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #109
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,108
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Dammit all to hell. Mine has it, too. Did wet cleaning to no avail.

Here are a few comments and rants:
1) I purchased mine from Amazon and while I could easily exchange it with them without much fanfare I'm going to try to return through Pentax. Why? Because some warehouse employee is simply going to grab another K5 off the shelf and send it out -- another draw from the hat. Whereas I imagine Pentax will ensure a defect-free replacement.

2) Someone posted a comment suggesting this isn't a big deal since it's under warranty. Just send it back. This is a big deal to me since my calendar is practically booked this month with shoots - this is holiday season! I sold my K7 to fund this purchase and my d700 was recently stolen. No way I'm going to show up at my client's place with my Nex.

3) Just noticed that the "Dust Alert" function is not available -- WTF?!? Why? It was there on my K7. I'm not one for conspiracies but either Pentax QA is completely inept or they knew damn well about this problem and wasn't willing to sacrifice the holiday shopping season. I know for sure "Dust Alert" would have picked this up.

4) I wish I wasn't so consistently impulsive. There was no pressing reason to upgrade to the K5 but no, I had to have it.

5) In reality, this defect won't have any real impact. I'm not shooting at very small apertures. But I spent $1430 for a body, too.
Yes well, I'm pretty sure that if you shoot at moderate apertures, you aren't going to have a problem.
What are you going to do if you drop your K5 and break it, BTW. Sounds like you don't have a back-up plan in place.
Dust alert is available, read your manual.
And above all, remain calm.

12-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #110
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 488
To tell you the truth I think you guys are being to kind to Pentax. It would make me sick for weeks if i bought one and found out there was a problem like this. Especially with the price. My god.
As a new Pentax shooter and after my bout with the k-7 I decided to wait until i checked and double checked any electronic product before buying.
This is especially true with Pentax for me. What a shame.

I really hope you guys get this resolved quickly and Pentax fixes it fast. But personally i see it not happening. I see this with Sigma as well. It took me forever to get a 2.8 lens calibrated properly. And they have been selling this way for years. They were very nice about it. But to date still pumping out the same product. I personally see Pentax fixing the problem on returned products, but not stopping anything other than a quick look see.

It is strickly dollars and cents in todays economy. This is a throw away item. I call it. Electronics change so fast very few people have it after a few years. I wish i knew the figures.

Also for my shooting of wildlife. This does not affect me that much. I will be interested in a returned item if the price is right.

Last edited by garyk; 12-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
12-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #111
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What are you going to do if you drop your K5 and break it, BTW. Sounds like you don't have a back-up plan in place.
I suppose you missed the part where my d700 was recently stolen?
12-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #112
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
What about people who used their UPC for a rebate such as the photoplus expo rebate card or the Epson printer bundle rebate? They won't have a choice except to deal with a warranty claim as you can't return a product without the UPC.

This is a problem for some, not the end of the world though. I don't think anyone has inferred that the sky is falling.
I don't see any reason you couldn't return the defective K-5 in the box that the replacement K-5 came in (which would have the UPC intact).
12-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #113
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,140
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
...can we use the DA*16-50 SDM as an example of how badly it can work out if Pentax never owns up to a problem?
How badly did it work out with the 16-50?
Do you have access to data that documents a loss in sales, or similar?

12-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #114
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,886
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
My K-5 sensor is spotless; no dust or stains whatsoever all the way down to f/22.
Serial number starts with 3889.

View the full-size image of my sensor at f/22: http://img.skitch.com/20101205-8c1dmhep8xfc6qnrcb914d44fs.jpg

- Jason
Hi inferno10

Please take a movie (or several) to make the sensor heat up and then have another look. There is a theory going around that says these spots develop when the sensor heats up. Would be good for you to find out now rather than later when a claim will be harder to substantiate .
Greetings
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #115
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
If this is indeed true, then what is now a minor nuisance could become a real problem down the road. Who knows... Sounds like delaminating.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi inferno10

Please take a movie (or several) to make the sensor heat up and then have another look. There is a theory going around that says these spots develop when the sensor heats up. Would be good for you to find out now rather than later when a claim will be harder to substantiate .
Greetings
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #116
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,108
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
I suppose you missed the part where my d700 was recently stolen?
No, I didn't miss that.
What's you back-up plan if you drop your K5?
That's what being pro is all about. A few blobs on your sensor that only show up at apertures that generally won't be used by a portrait shooter is not a big deal.
Only having one camera when you are shooting professionally is a big deal, whatever excuse you muster.
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #117
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,108
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi inferno10

Please take a movie (or several) to make the sensor heat up and then have another look. There is a theory going around that says these spots develop when the sensor heats up. Would be good for you to find out now rather than later when a claim will be harder to substantiate .
Greetings
And after you've done that, go smack your car into a tree and see if you can still drive it home.
It would be good to find out now rather than when you don't have bus fare....
12-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #118
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I don't see any reason you couldn't return the defective K-5 in the box that the replacement K-5 came in (which would have the UPC intact).
Which store would allow you to get the replacement before returning the camera, or are you suggesting I buy another one then return the original? I was one of the couple people who bought from provantage.com - 30 day return policy, which is past - not a massive retailer like amazon, so likely they won't eat the return quite so easily. They also don't have any stock to replace it, so there'd be no benefit to me over simply dealing with Pentax at this point. Since I am going to Italy in two weeks, the camera will more than suffice through mid-january anyway - I don't foresee taking many f22 landscape shots in the near future, and haven't seen this problem in anything but the test photos I've taken. The camera is still taking great pictures, so I will address the issue when it is convenient.
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #119
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Which store would allow you to get the replacement before returning the camera, or are you suggesting I buy another one then return the original? I was one of the couple people who bought from provantage.com - 30 day return policy, which is past - not a massive retailer like amazon, so likely they won't eat the return quite so easily. They also don't have any stock to replace it, so there'd be no benefit to me over simply dealing with Pentax at this point. Since I am going to Italy in two weeks, the camera will more than suffice through mid-january anyway - I don't foresee taking many f22 landscape shots in the near future, and haven't seen this problem in anything but the test photos I've taken. The camera is still taking great pictures, so I will address the issue when it is convenient.
I was just throwing it out there for anyone who used their UPC but wants/needs to exchange their body. FWIW, Amazon will send a replacement body before you have to send back the defective one. As long as you send the defective body back within the return period, you won't charge me for the replacement body. For retailers that require the original back before shipping the replacement (which I imagine represents the majority of retailers), the buying a second K-5 before returning the original would be the only way to get an uncut box.

But if you're already past the return period it's a moot point anyway and it makes sense to wait until after your trip to deal with the issue. I've taken thousands of shots, and despite having the "issue" on my K-5 body, it's gone unnoticed until I took the test shots yesterday (granted, I very rarely shoot with small apertures).
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #120
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I was just throwing it out there for anyone who used their UPC but wants/needs to exchange their body. FWIW, Amazon will send a replacement body before you have to send back the defective one. As long as you send the defective body back within the return period, you won't charge me for the replacement body. For retailers that require the original back before shipping the replacement (which I imagine represents the majority of retailers), the buying a second K-5 before returning the original would be the only way to get an uncut box.

But if you're already past the return period it's a moot point anyway and it makes sense to wait until after your trip to deal with the issue. I've taken thousands of shots, and despite having the "issue" on my K-5 body, it's gone unnoticed until I took the test shots yesterday (granted, I very rarely shoot with small apertures).
Totally agree. Despite having found the issue at hand, it shows up in exactly none of the actual photos I have taken with the camera to date - so, it is not pressing for me.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, filter, issue, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, process, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax-F 17-28mm fish eye, $249 shipped US/CA, $269 shipped world wide thomasxie Sold Items 1 08-12-2009 12:16 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tiffen UV Filter 67mm $10 shipped (Fits Tamron 28-75/f2.8 XR Di) CGJung Sold Items 1 08-20-2008 09:28 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA16-45mm + UV filter $315 OBO shipped priority GatorPentax Sold Items 3 06-24-2008 06:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top