Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobRad Quote
Two things:

You can speak to a customer rep at Amazon USA. On their main page click on "Help" from the list at the bottom. Then click on "Returns and Refunds". The site will ask you to sign in and you will get a page with 3 tabs, including one that is "Phone". Click that and provide the requested info. They will then call you at the phone number you give them. I have done it and they do call.

Second, when I bought my K-7 from Amazon, it had AF issues. I followed the directions on the pink sheet on the box and contacted Pentax instead of Amazon. They told me to send it to them for repairs. They sent it back with the issues not fixed and by the time I got it back, the 30 period for Amazon return had expired. I called Amazon and explained the situation and they agreed to take the camera back for a replacement. They even paid the shipping cost. So give that a try.

Good luck,
Bob

Thanks for the advice Bob,

I called them spoke to a charming person, explained the circumstances and she agreed to a return with a full refund.

I will probably wait to re-order to see if this issue is sorted. I love the K5 it's a super camera.

So if you bought from Amazon, even if it's beyond the 30 days policy give them call.

Terry

12-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My serial starts with 3822..
The spots are there, and lots of them. But I only found them when I searched. Still I'm going to see the service center...

So I have all the problems - flash issue, dirt on sensor, tendency to BF (adjustments on all my lenses) and perhaps more. I'll be checkeng RH's blog for more problems to find. I'm sure my K-5 will have those.

But still I love that camera. Am I silly?
12-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
My K-5 sensor is spotless; no dust or stains whatsoever all the way down to f/22.
Serial number starts with 3889.

View the full-size image of my sensor at f/22: http://img.skitch.com/20101205-8c1dmhep8xfc6qnrcb914d44fs.jpg

- Jason
I wonder if this is an isolated run of sensors - it is starting to look that way based on the few serial numbers being thrown out (mine is a 3836 series). Here is another couple of crops (about 120%, just a quick manual resize), this time with 50mm SMC-F macro (at F32, F22, F16 and F11). All of these are at minimum focus - they are less pronounced when focused at infinity, and are extremely faint at f8 minimum focus, gone at f8/infinity.

12-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It looks like I've may have the same issue (but a mild case compared to some of the others posted here):

FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro [1/125s, f32, iso 6400]

I think I'll alert the retailer and Pentax but not send it back immediately in hopes that there's a remedy which won't require a swap or off-site repair.
I've got a few specs of dust on mine as well and that is kind of what they look like. Have you tried any sort of cleaning? I've only used a rocket blower, don't have a wet kit myself.

12-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Stainology

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Have at it Falk.
telfish, thanks a lot.

I thought about it and summarized the result in a separate thread (because it got rather long).
Here you go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/124985-advanced-stainology.html
Side note: I think I have a good idea what it is now. I can still be wrong though.
12-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #96
Inactive Account

My serial is 3851 and the 2 dotted stains appeared slightly at f8.0 and prominent at f11
12-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I've got a few specs of dust on mine as well and that is kind of what they look like. Have you tried any sort of cleaning? I've only used a rocket blower, don't have a wet kit myself.
I tried the blower but that didn't resolve the issue. I don't have a wet kit and am really not inclined to try that given my infamously bad DIY track record.

12-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I knew this camera was too good to be true...

I got the spots dead center too... serial 3842***

Dare I say I am not a happy camper? This is the fourth lemon I get from Pentax... first K20d froze (SD card access bug), second one front focused beyond 10, third one still front focused but I could correct my lenses between 5 and 10 so I kept it... and now this...

And some say Pentax doesn't have quality control problems? Yeah ok there...

Pat
12-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Good God man, give your head a shake. This is a brand new camera you have. It has a warranty, and if you bought it from a good camera store, it also should have an OTC exchange.
The store I deal with has a 3 month OTC policy for defective products.
Are we the only two people in the room who get this? For sure, the problem should be brought to Pentax' attention, but that will sure happen very quickly bubbling up through the sales channel than from the mumblings on some Internet forum. Every camera returned from a legitimate sales outlet carries considerable weight.

Steve
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #100
Veteran Member

The big question is are we seing this in normal photo? Up to now except for one with a big black dot , I was unable to see it in any photos presented in the last month. I hope I am wrong , I have the K-5 and will kep it . If Pentax , make a recall, I will sent it , otherwise normal life for me.
12-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
The big question is are we seing this in normal photo? Up to now except for one with a big black dot , I was unable to see it in any photos presented in the last month. I hope I am wrong , I have the K-5 and will kep it . If Pentax , make a recall, I will sent it , otherwise normal life for me.
It seems that in most cases, it is only apparent in test shots deliberately set up to expose the flaw. Most - but not all.
I used a water-based highlighter pen to draw a circle on my computer monitor where the problem spots occur, then scrolled through many photos to see if I could make it out, knowing exactly where to look. In most shots - no. In the few shots where I could see it, it still looked like a natural part of the image. (shots of snow-covered yard for example).

If Pentax offers a new fault-free replacement, I will take it. If I have to send mine in for repair, I will consider it, but will probably wait. It's a 2-year warranty.
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are we the only two people in the room who get this? For sure, the problem should be brought to Pentax' attention, but that will sure happen very quickly bubbling up through the sales channel than from the mumblings on some Internet forum. Every camera returned from a legitimate sales outlet carries considerable weight.

Steve
What about people who used their UPC for a rebate such as the photoplus expo rebate card or the Epson printer bundle rebate? They won't have a choice except to deal with a warranty claim as you can't return a product without the UPC.

This is a problem for some, not the end of the world though. I don't think anyone has inferred that the sky is falling.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 12-05-2010 at 08:28 PM.
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
If Pentax offers a new fault-free replacement, I will take it. If I have to send mine in for repair, I will consider it, but will probably wait. It's a 2-year warranty.
Thats what I'm also thinking as I take most of my photos between f1.7 and f8, but any tight apperture landscapes or sky shots will be ruined (or have to be clone brushed, which is unacceptable from a brand new $1500 body).

I was about to treat myself with a DA*50-135 or DA*60-250 (still undecided which one) for Xmas, but I have to admit this situation has stopped me dead in my tracks.

Pat
12-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
No, you're not the only people, but you do seem to be in the minority.
Maybe this is what happens when people stress about their new camera (understandable) and buy it cheaply online somewhere. So unless it was indeed purchased from a local store then this could be a hassle. Still, I hear ya about the warranty though.
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Dammit all to hell. Mine has it, too. Did wet cleaning to no avail.

Here are a few comments and rants:
1) I purchased mine from Amazon and while I could easily exchange it with them without much fanfare I'm going to try to return through Pentax. Why? Because some warehouse employee is simply going to grab another K5 off the shelf and send it out -- another draw from the hat. Whereas I imagine Pentax will ensure a defect-free replacement.

2) Someone posted a comment suggesting this isn't a big deal since it's under warranty. Just send it back. This is a big deal to me since my calendar is practically booked this month with shoots - this is holiday season! I sold my K7 to fund this purchase and my d700 was recently stolen. No way I'm going to show up at my client's place with my Nex.

3) I wish I wasn't so consistently impulsive. There was no pressing reason to upgrade to the K5 but no, I had to have it.

4) In reality, this defect won't have any real impact. I'm not shooting at very small apertures. But I spent $1430 for a body, too.

Last edited by MrPetkus; 12-05-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Closed Thread