Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

exposure in high contrast shots using AV and TAV modes

Amateur question here. I just replaced my k10D with a K5 and I'm having some over exposure problems when using AV and TAV mode. It's especially evident in high contrast shots.

I used AV mode all the time for similar shots with my K10D and the exposure was never blown out like this, so I'm clearly missing something.

If I go to manual mode and turn the exposure down it looks fine.

I'm curious what I'm doing wrong, and if there's a way to compensate for this when shooting in those modes. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Here's a few examples:

thanks for any help!

-b

http://www.breadwig.com/photography

12-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you change your metering mode to spot instead of matrix, it should be fine.
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

I have found that the K-7 and K-5 exposes more than the K10D. Where I on the K10D would use +0.5EV compensation I use none on the K-7/K-5.

So one solution would be to use negative exposure compensation.

Also on a scene like this perhaps centerweighted metering would be better than multi-segment. Obviously the large dark areas have fooled the meter to increase exposure.

It's about learning how your camera "sees" scenes and compensate as needed.

One trick is to spotmeter on a midtone area of the actors (the face for example), and set the exposure manually accordingly and stay with that setting as long as the light doesn't change dramatically.
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Awesome tips, sounds like just what I need. I'll change to spot metering for shots like this, and I love the tip to meter on the actors faces too. Very helpful guys.

12-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Did I say matrix metering instead of multi-segment? Sorry I must have been talking too much with the nikon guys.... 'multi-segment' is the proper term in the Pentax world. Attached is an example, spot metering with +0.3EV from DA* 50-135mm with a slight touch in lightroom.

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-04-2010 at 11:12 AM.
12-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Did I say matrix metering instead of multi-segment? Sorry I must have been talking too much with the nikon guys.... 'multi-segment' is the proper term in the Pentax world. Attached is an example, spot metering with +0.3EV from DA* 50-135mm with a slight touch in lightroom.
Sorry, just attached the one before slight touch of de-noise in lightroom - now this one is.
Attached Images

12-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes! That's the kind of results I was looking for. Very nice.
12-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One thing to keep in mind with the K-5 is the incredible pushing latitude you have with the raw images. Even if the shot is under by 4 stops, it can be pushed back to fine form with almost zero addition of noise. This capability has me tuning down my EV comp with full confidence that the image will be within the very wide range of the K-5's Sony sensor.

12-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
One thing to keep in mind with the K-5 is the incredible pushing latitude you have with the raw images. Even if the shot is under by 4 stops, it can be pushed back to fine form with almost zero addition of noise. This capability has me tuning down my EV comp with full confidence that the image will be within the very wide range of the K-5's Sony sensor.

Since seeing some images on this site that displayed more or less black shots pushed to show incredible results I too have been shooting shots when needed under by a few stops and I am now more inclined to use Exposure Bracketing and have set the option to the RAW button... great feature
12-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
Can I just say this forum rocks? I went to another concert tonight and shot using the suggestions here (spot metering, under shooting etc.), and I got much better results.

12-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not much to say besides Great shot! I agree with the other posters - the K5 just gives so much more leeway with under exposed images. I also think the metering system is more complex - where the K10 would see the background in your first images as black and determine to ignore it, the K5 sees the color and shadow detail and determines to give it weighting in the exposure value, resulting in those over exposures. Perhaps a slight flaw, but one that I for one can live with!
12-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I have found that the K-7 and K-5 exposes more than the K10D.
I've noticed the same with K-m and K-5. The K-m almost never blown any highlight even in high contrast scenes (i.e. dark foreground with some very bright sky), it always "protected the highlights". Now the K-5 seems to be quite different, it doesn't seem to care too much about blowing highlights. Therefore now I have to adapt and change my shooting style, pay more attention to protect highlights and let the shadows be black (which I can recover nicely in PP thanks to the K-5's excellent sensor).
So yeah, after the older, more "conservative metering" models the K-5 is different.
12-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I have also noticed this on thursday when I took pictures of the x-max party of our company ... the comedians at the stage were much to bright (matrix metering), but after setting the exposure to -1.7 everything was OK ;-)
12-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

breadwig: Трябва да провериш,какви са ти настройките на картинката в апарата и да намалиш контраста или да смениш пресет на картинката.
Поздрав!