Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

Converting PEF to DNG

okay, so i assisted in a wedding with my new pentax k5 [previously i had the k20d]. i LOVE the camera. its great. however, halfway through the wedding i let my friend play iwth the camera. apparently she accidentally switched the file format from DNG to PEF.
now, i need to give my pictures to my boss by the AM and im SCREWED! everyone ive asked for help has said "oh, just switch it back to DNG and then lightroom will accept them"... well thats obvious, but a little late for my current pictures- which ps, i have a little over 600 that i need to submit via adobe lighroom in the morning. help anyone? --- id do anything just about now. including pay $$ [considering i might lose my job if i dont!].

oh and btw, please dont tell me to use adobe's DNG converter from the Adobe website. unless you have found one that is an update for the pentax k5 [which i dont think has come out yet]... theyre converters work for everything up to the k7 [as far as i can tell]

oh haha, and on a lighter note. will a battery pack that fits the k7 fit the k5... i bought a new one [my boss requires one] since my old k20d battery pack doesnt fit my new cam.

Thanks!!

Last edited by quinnrgrace; 12-04-2010 at 04:40 PM.
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a thread on the topic here, which indicates that it's possible, but doesn't explain how: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1226...ormat-dng.html

I did a bit of research and I think you'll need to use Adobe's DNG converter, available for free from the Adobe's website.

DNG, digital negative | Adobe

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you so much for answering so quickly, however- Adobe's converters dont work for the k5 yet. they havent come out with an update that far advanced [im sure they're working on it though].
12-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I guess you can't let anyone touch your equipment when you are on the job - too bad!

How about this: Use Pentax Digital Camera Utility software that came with your camera, select all the pictures, put them in the processing queue, and save them as 16-bit TIFFs. That should be just as good as DNG files I think.

I've not been in this kind of situation, so can't vouch for how well this may work, but I think is worth looking at. I've converted RAW .pef files to 16-bit TIFFs before and they seem to be just as good as RAW. Also, I think Adobe DNG converter can convert TIFFs to DNG if you must. Can anyone else comment on the viability of 16-bit TIFFs or TIFFs converted to DNGs for pro work?

Let us know how you work this out - might be useful to someone else sometime.

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by quinnrgrace Quote
Thank you so much for answering so quickly, however- Adobe's converters dont work for the k5 yet. they havent come out with an update that far advanced [im sure they're working on it though].

12-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax DCU will save .PEF to .DNG - so just use it, that 's it

menu : [Tools] -> [Save as DNG...]
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-7 battery pack and the K-5 battery pack are one and the same
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Found this with a google search

QuoteQuote:
Greg and Duncan, the best way of converting the K-5 PEF's to DNG's is likely to use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (DCU) version 4.31, which offers that option and which will convert as if the DNG had been generated by the camera in the first place

which confirms the above poster deejjaaa's reply
12-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can convert it any way you want with the DCU. Simple, easy, fast and I think better than most other RAW conversion softwares. Once you open a RAW file, all you have to do is click on "save as," then choose what you want.

12-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've heard some issues surrounding the Pentax software conversion of PEF to DNG not providing a supported format for editing software.
Try it and see if the DNGs will open in Photoshop, if they will, your golden, if not, consider converting them to Tiffs instead.
12-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Silkypix 30 day demo?

Silkypix Developer Studio 4.0.42.1 or Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 4.1.42.1 work with the K-5.
12-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter

DCU version 4.31 will convert PEFs to DNGs that will open in Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5.

SilkyPix Pro 4.1.41.2 will also process the PEFs (or converted DNGs).

dave
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
DCU version 4.31 will convert PEFs to DNGs that will open in Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5.

Thank you for that. Another rumour put to rest.
11-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Pentax DCU will save .PEF to .DNG - so just use it, that 's it

menu : [Tools] -> [Save as DNG...]
I can confirm that the PEF my Pentax k3II produces can be converted by Digital Camera Utility 5.4.0 to DNG, as by Aperture 3.6 can be opened for editing!

In the future, I'll be sure to always save in DNG, much more future-proof!
11-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GreatDay Quote
I can confirm that the PEF my Pentax k3II produces can be converted by Digital Camera Utility 5.4.0 to DNG, as by Aperture 3.6 can be opened for editing!

In the future, I'll be sure to always save in DNG, much more future-proof!
This is a thread from 5 years ago. I haven't seen most of these users in years.