Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Shake Reduction and super-resolution

Pentax has evolved to the level where more serious work could be done, the camera has excellent dynamic range and in camera shake reduction. All this enables to shoot in various conditions where competitors vibration compensation zoom lenses can not reach due to the large T-Stop values or light loss in the lenses.

I would propose to add some more tools to shoot better still life with K5. We all know that we have only 4 Mpix of RED and 4 MPIX of BLUE sensors in the bayer matrix and the resolution is interpolated.

It is possible to take multiple shots to compensate this color resolution disadvantage of Bayer matrix moving sensor and reading neighboring pixels. Pentax should have tools inside camera to get this done ?

It should be possible to move sensor within pixel resolution but I do not know exactly how accurate the sensor actuators are.

12-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
This is something that I have been interested in for a long time, but unfortunately, I don't think Pentax is interested in doing it, or they would have already done it. (I've written them a couple of letters, and posted on the dear Pentax thread, but no luck so far, obviously) I do believe that the SR mechanism would be precise enough for the sensor positioning required to do a four shot merge. here is my post about full color using the SR system from about a year ago. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84360-possible-ful...reduction.html
12-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadarpik Quote
It is possible to take multiple shots to compensate this color resolution disadvantage of Bayer matrix moving sensor and reading neighboring pixels. Pentax should have tools inside camera to get this done ?

It should be possible to move sensor within pixel resolution but I do not know exactly how accurate the sensor actuators are.
I don't know if it creates the same results, but I use this software quite commonly: Take Better Photos, reduce noise, increase quality and resolution of digital photographs. Leading superresolution technology.
It is very effective for large format shooting and landscape photography.
12-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JohnBee has mentioned PhotoAcute Studio. It does lots of things, besides superresolution. Here is an example of NR achieved by stacking 14 raw files from a hand-held continuous shoot. (14 is the max. raw burst size for the K20D.)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/7470...king-test.html

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 12-05-2010 at 05:35 AM.
12-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you are suggesting pushing up spatial resolution (=more pixels) by moving the sensor in small amounts (a fraction of the pixel pitch) between exposures that would then be combined?
12-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
JohnBee has mentioned PhotoAcute Studio. It does lots of things, besides superresolution. Here is an example of NR achieved by stacking 14 raw files from a hand-held continuous shoot. (14 is the max. raw burst size for the K20D.)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/7470...king-test.html

DAb
Those are great examples of the software/technology in action.
I myself have rarely shot anything over 6 frames.
Have you found any advantages on the resolution side of things by adding more frames?
I also forgot to add that the software can add DR too.
And though its far from perfect in many cases(like waves, moving objects etc), it does work wonders with static scenes.

I also think the new K-5 would work wonders with software like this at 7fps /16MP. And I'd love to see how it would stack-up against some of the higher resolution camera's as a cost effective alternative.
On my own end of things, I've managed to squeeze out some studio images with a K20D that made-up rather nice files too. All in all I'd say the software is quite nice to work with.
02-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
Just did two Photoacute profiles for K-5 Sigma 70 mm EX dh macro and samyang 15 mm wide angle, both work great. They should have new version soon with those profiles.

02-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Moving the sensor for hyper resolution/color accuracy is already done by Hasselblad, so I think they have all the patents for it...

Last edited by dlacouture; 02-15-2011 at 01:52 AM.
02-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Many years ago there was a compact camera that did the same thing so...
02-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a little OT, but I don't see the connection between shake reduction and shooting still life?? I assume you would always shoot (at least if you aim for high quality) still life using a tripod. So you better turn SR off.
02-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #11

which one?
02-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Believe it was the Ricoh rdc-7 with it's "pro mode".
04-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #13

camera shake reduction + lens shake reduction

Camera shake reduction is great for me! Q; Is there interference or added benefit if the lens, also, has 'shake reduction, 'vibration control', 'optical stability'?
04-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #14

is this at all similar to the foveon sensor in the Sigma dSLR?
04-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop Quote
is this at all similar to the foveon sensor in the Sigma dSLR?
No, what the OP{ is suggesting is dramatically different. Hasselbad has produced a camera that is using a similar technique to what the OP is suggesting - however Hasselblad are using piezoelectric motors for this, the pentax SR system could achieve a similar effect. However it could only be used on static subjects.