Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nikon d3 to pentax k5 (advice)

Hi there... its been a while since i have posted on here but i've ran into a problem lately.

I cant keep thinking that i should trade in my d3 for a k5, but im not sure if i should.

With the d3 i have some older f2.8 zooms/fisheye (so no shake reduction), i have basicly got similar lens on the pentax side (da* 50-135 f2.8, sigma 24-60 f2.8) The only thing i would miss is the fish eye (is there a good pentax fisheye that comes close to the 16mm f2.8 on the nikon side?)

As for the bodys, i believe the k-5 is way more advanced in many ways over the d3 (hell my gx10 is in some ways to). I like popup flash (for triggering flash's), id like the inbuilt AF lamp, shake reduction, more advanced options and in camera processing and hell even the video would be nice... the size reduction is one of the main things im looking forward to.

But is it worth changing from the d3 to the k5?, The main thing that's putting me off is losing that full frame sensor, and some of the features like interval timer (can the k5 do that?), the 3d focus tracking is nice too and the large bright viewfinder (makes manual focus really easy).

I shoot a verity of things, from portraiture, partys, some concerts, stock photography and next year i have a few weddings and i enjoy landscapes. (some shots below)

I curretly have a gx10, gf1 (with 20mm f1.7 and a pentax adapter) and the d3.

What would any of you do..?

12-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
But is it worth changing from the d3 to the k5?, The main thing that's putting me off is losing that full frame sensor, and some of the features like interval timer (can the k5 do that?), the 3d focus tracking is nice too and the large bright viewfinder (makes manual focus really easy).
Given the relatively small number(if any) of D3 owners on the site, I'm really not sure how much helpful information can be given toward the question. However... have you considered giving a K-5 a test drive in to getting some insight on the camera works with respect to your own needs?
12-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

I would rent a k5 for a week or so and see if it does the trick for you. I dont know of a place that rents pentax in the uk, but im sure there is one. And I believe the k5 does have an intervalometer, unless im mistaken.
12-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax 10-17 is one heck of a nice fisheye lens, it's not f2.8 but it is a stellar lens otherwise. Another option is the DA 14 f2.8, it's not a fisheye and not quite as wide as the Nikon on the FF but it seems to be another nice lens (I don't own the 14mm but I do own the 10-17)

Cheers,
Ray

Last edited by Raybo; 12-04-2010 at 10:45 PM.
12-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that you don't have to do anything. You have:

* Pana for take it everywhere kind of kit
* GX10 (I reckon it is parallel to K10D of Pentax) if you want to take advantage of your Pentax glass and have slightly bigger yet rather compact package
* D3 for more serious work where you have to rely on camera endurance, automatics, etc.

Although I went from K10D to K-7, I still am not fully convinced that K-7 was a worthy upgrade. Spec sheets and forum boasting aside, K10D is a wonderful camera that under certain limitations beats K-7 hands down in IQ department. I may be buying K-5 to get a really state of the art IQ, but if I had a D3 or any other FF camera for that matter and a sensible set of lenses, I would hold on to that as much as possible.

YMMV and other usual disclaimers apply. But in a nutshell, you seem to have all it needs to take excellent pictures in great variety of conditions, so if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
12-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you are planning on doing weddings, I would think that having a K5 as a second body to the D3 could be invaluable simply for that reason. I own neither (yet, K5 is on the way) but if you plan on serious event shooting you should consider a second body.
12-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Why not just shoot both? That's what I am planning to do. I've shot a D3 for nearly 3 years now, and just picked up a K-7, but decided I want a K-5 instead. So I'll be getting that soon, but definitely hanging onto the D3.

12-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What Boris said.
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
I curretly have a gx10, gf1 (with 20mm f1.7 and a pentax adapter) and the d3.
talk about camera buying addiction :P
12-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dude, it's a D3 man, i know the K5 is one hell of a camera, but it is a frinkin D3 you're talking about.

honestly, i don't know if you're being serious.
12-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #11
Inactive Account

d3 v k5

ok so i've got a k10 10-17, 16-45, 50-135, and use also a d3 with 2.8 zooms etc when shooting for a mates studio on a reg basis.
i find the d3 bloody heavy but sure footed in every other way ie exposure, focus-its awesome, frame rate, build.
i find the k10 crap at af-it really is terrible, light and easy to handle-the nikon is a tad cumbersome when changing settings even some basic ones, nice exposures-perhaps not as wholesome as the d3, the k10's crap at iso above 400, but overall a nice tool - with the right glass and a little pressure applied.
now only having had a peek at a k5, id say look at the af systems-is the k5 as spot on as the nikon? is frame rate your thing? frame rate is not an issue really and 7fps is heaps for me.
the k5's only point that i'd have a closer look at would be the af system-if its as good as they say it is in the field then you wont have any worries changing from d3 to k5
12-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
dude, it's a D3 man, i know the K5 is one hell of a camera, but it is a frinkin D3 you're talking about.

honestly, i don't know if you're being serious.
A d3 isn't all its cracked up to be , my first few shots with the camera made me really disappointed because my DA* and gx10 was so much sharper (the d3 has a strong AA filter) but the improved dynamic range started to become more evident in some shooting situations and in post.. the high iso is pretty good to.

The Autofocus is amazing tho, fast.. accurate and very good at tracking but all the focus points are bunched up in the middle on full frame so not as useful as you might think.. i loved the fact my gx10 had AF sensors at the very edge of the frame.

IT has no TaV mode, and the button placement isnt as good as the gx10. I can adjust ISO, Aperture, shutter while looking though the view finder on the gx10 but with the d3 i have to press a button on the bottom left of the camera while spinning a dial (2 handed operation) or go through some menus to enable auto iso (the gx10 auto iso options is faster).

The d3 is also a dust magnet, i have to clean the sensor on that quite often but the gx10 and my gf1 (which has no mirror and an open shutter) rarely ever need cleaned.

QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
ok so i've got a k10 10-17, 16-45, 50-135, and use also a d3 with 2.8 zooms etc when shooting for a mates studio on a reg basis.
i find the d3 bloody heavy but sure footed in every other way ie exposure, focus-its awesome, frame rate, build.
i find the k10 crap at af-it really is terrible, light and easy to handle-the nikon is a tad cumbersome when changing settings even some basic ones, nice exposures-perhaps not as wholesome as the d3, the k10's crap at iso above 400, but overall a nice tool - with the right glass and a little pressure applied.
now only having had a peek at a k5, id say look at the af systems-is the k5 as spot on as the nikon? is frame rate your thing? frame rate is not an issue really and 7fps is heaps for me.
the k5's only point that i'd have a closer look at would be the af system-if its as good as they say it is in the field then you wont have any worries changing from d3 to k5
From what i hear about the k5 the focus is much improved.. but i will ask to try one and take some of my pentax lens down to test this, the quick shot of one I had in a shop with the kit lens and the focus was nice and snappy... i know my gx10 would have hunted at the same settings.

Its something im thinking about and just wanted some others opinions on it, how do people find their k5?
12-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just two quick images to compare the DoF, this is the only thing thats making me think twice..

Exif data
Camera Nikon D3
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 2800
Exposure Bias -1 EV
Nikon 80-200 f2.8 D

Exif data
Camera Samsung GX10
Exposure 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 135 mm
ISO Speed 1600
Exposure Bias 0 EV
DA* 50-135

Shake reduction working ok there on the gx10 , low light indoors no post just direct export from lightroom3, not the same photo but should be similar to get a comparison.

I plan to do more test's soon, with flash's and stuff.
12-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Tcom shoots both and has posted objective and practical comparisons. From what he has said, I believe the K5 has become his main camera, but he still prefers the D3 for sports.
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Tcom shoots both and has posted objective and practical comparisons. From what he has said, I believe the K5 has become his main camera, but he still prefers the D3 for sports.
I did a search for his name but couldn't see any of his k5 posts?.. altho i looked for threads he had started.. ill have another look just now but a link to any would be great .

I took my da* 50-135 into the shop today and asked to try a k5, the camera was still attached to there security thing so i was limited in what i could shoot but the focus seemed fast in the shop (fast for the 50-135 anyway), it hunted ALOT less than my gx10 would.

The feel of the camera was nice and the shutter was very quite, overall i had a very pleasant experience with the camera. Im just going to have a read up about the video quality of it since i could be getting some video work with some friends (using a canon xl2) so having the ability to setup some more camera's for more angles would be good.

The two things i think i would miss really is the DoF and my fisheye, going to look up examples of the fisheye zoom.