Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Is the same issue being found on the D7000 - it has the same sensor?

If it isn't then it's definitely a Pentax QC problem
Not necessarily so, just one on DPR Nikon D7000 forum reporting....
I think it was posted that K-5 and D7000 jave a different AA filter so the problem might be AA filter related .

If so, who assembles sensor+AA filter??? Sony? pentax??? Another party. On Pentax order or on Sony order???

12-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #47

I wonder if a bunch of refurbuished K-5s will become available at a hefty discount...

Iskandar
12-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Iskandar Taib Quote
I wonder if a bunch of refurbuished K-5s will become available at a hefty discount...

Iskandar
Fingers Crossed
12-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have one very small spot that I cannot remove with Isoprop.
It is about 10 x 10 pixels.

enhanced, f22:

1000% crop:

I can live with that.
I will use it as an identification fingerprint.

Btw. has anybody asked the Nikonians, if they have similar problems?

Last edited by blende8; 12-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.
12-06-2010, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I can live with that.
I will use it as an identification fingerprint.
Aha! So it's intentionally added by Pentax for individual traceability. Everyone gets a unique stain pattern. You have a problem if there are NO stains
12-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Has anyone else noticed the coincidence that a lot of these reports indicate a row of dust spots. There are some single spots, some with 2 spots, 3 spots, but above that there is a linear nature to the spots.

Also, we aren't seeing hairs, or cotton lint or misc. dirt. I think what this might mean is that these parts were assembled in a "clean room". But some tool or handling equipment was not properly cleaned before operating it above the sensors. It perhaps a cable moving out of a sheath carrying dust with it, or some hinged joint generating dust in a linear fashion. Any tooling used in a clean room must itself be clean or have a protective sleeve on it to prevent dirt entering the work area. Very unfortunate but there was a lack of discipline on perhaps one or more workers in bringing a not clean tool into the work area.
12-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #52
Banned

Great investigation.

To ask here again: could this be the same problem there were with Nikons a few years ago with oildrops on the Sony sensor?

12-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #53
Rin
Forum Member

What i wonder the most is what kind of dirt it is that is haunting our K5 sensors. It reminded me of a strain of bacteria , which it is obviously not.
12-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Not necessarily so, just one on DPR Nikon D7000 forum reporting....
I think it was posted that K-5 and D7000 jave a different AA filter so the problem might be AA filter related .

If so, who assembles sensor+AA filter??? Sony? pentax??? Another party. On Pentax order or on Sony order???
Regardless, it was Pentax's responsibility to catch the QC issue before sending it out.
12-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great investigation.

To ask here again: could this be the same problem there were with Nikons a few years ago with oildrops on the Sony sensor?
As far as I have been able to tell that is still a "known Nikon issue". Nikon is aware and offers free cleaning when that happens even out of warranty. The problem is not the same though "our"issue is out of the box, the Nikon issue seems to develop over a period of time and is supposed to come from oil splattering on the AA filters with each mechanical movement in the camera... (shutter etc)
According to the Nikon users this is quite nromal and happens to every camera sooner or later. However, that issue is not very widespread amd I have not been able to find any report with any other brand...
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #56
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
3842=== bought from Vanbar Melbourne is clear no marks on sensor at all
12-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

Also, we aren't seeing hairs, or cotton lint or misc. dirt. I think what this might mean is that these parts were assembled in a "clean room". But some tool or handling equipment was not properly cleaned before operating it above the sensors. It perhaps a cable moving out of a sheath carrying dust with it, or some hinged joint generating dust in a linear fashion. Any tooling used in a clean room must itself be clean or have a protective sleeve on it to prevent dirt entering the work area. Very unfortunate but there was a lack of discipline on perhaps one or more workers in bringing a not clean tool into the work area.
My original speculation was that it could be some kind of tools that are used to pick up the parts in the assembling line. Almost every case reported so far have the stains or particles at or near the center so it's not some random locations.

Peter
12-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #58
Inactive Account

I have 1 stain on the upper left side, such a shame, I am afraid of getting a replacement and having the same issue....

Serial: 3889468

Shows up on F-stop 8 and up.

So its not all cenetred...
12-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #59

anybody tried to perform dust alert option in menu ? It shows also same spots ?
12-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine seems to be slightly different to everyone elses.

Dead centre of the sensor.