Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #136

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

This is what I mean. Should count as "no".
Here are the images:

Should this count as a yes or a no?

12-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Mine is clean #3883
12-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #138
Veteran Member

f/22, ISO 80, macro focus, blank white wall

If I had not read these threads and done this controlled, artificial test, I would have never seen them.

I've been busy poring over my previous photos, taken at f/11 (even one at f/14) against a pure blue sky at infinity focus, and I am completely unable to see them, even though I know exactly where to look. They are quite simply less distinct than sensor noise at ISO 100 under those conditions. At any higher ISO, I can confidently say that they are literally impossible to distinguish against sensor noise. Therefore I conclude that they are completely irrelevant to me in real world shots.

Unfortunately, now that I know, I'm going to be a little paranoid, even though I know they will never be seen in any real photo I shoot. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by Cannikin; 12-07-2010 at 06:20 AM.
12-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Beau Quote
Here are the images:

Should this count as a yes or a no?
I would say No; my sensor is stained, here is the typical pattern you should have

12-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
I am now part of this club, one very visible spot on the upper left corner.

Serial:3889468

Starts at F8 and onwards.

Regards
Attachment 77688

Attachment 77689
Well I think it's not; it does no look like the typical pattern of stain; only a dust particle
12-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
It seems I was the first one who addressed the cmos has some dirt marks (stain) in the beginning and could not be cleaned
But somebodies did not realised this is truth in this forum.
Now more and more stain cmos complaints are coming:ugh:
What are they thinking now?
It is sad your report wasn't received more cooperatively. I had seen that and I was wondering.

Actually, your's wasn't the first report here. Somebody earlier pointed to "emerging scratches" and this post:
K-5發生*咫j事故: (公開通報及協助貼) - Pentax 討論區 - DCHome.net 數碼天地論壇 *輕銌臚@*蚍すX相機網站 - Powered by Discuz!

Which shows the (by now) classic string of stains and is dated as early as
Nov 5.

So, Pentax had more than a month now to take counter measures. They're really too lazy to say the least ...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The same defect was in Canon high speed reportage cameras - Canon said that it had been oil from mirror gear.
I am almost sure the particles are solid. They may look like oil due to the optics involved. Moreover, there is almost no way oil from any gear could enter this distant and narrow 200痠 gap between sensor and AA filter.
12-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Falks
Do you know in what materials the filter is made? Glass, plastic film?
Do we know if a coating is applied of these filter? Hard coat, UV coat, etc?

12-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Falks
Do you know in what materials the filter is made? Glass, plastic film?
Do we know if a coating is applied of these filter? Hard coat, UV coat, etc?
I can only guess.
I would guess that the AA filter is Lithium niobate between two or three sheets of glass. And the cover glass should be glass too. And all surfaces should have an SMC quality level coating. Add to that microlenses, CFA bayer filter and IR filter and we end up with an awful lot of surfaces (13 if I count correctly). They better are all coated ...
12-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #144
Inactive Account

this is why I'm never an early adopter

hope you guys get your K5 fixed soon
12-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #145
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Service Notice: EOS-1D Mark III/EOS-1Ds Mark III: Oil Spots on LPF Surface

the same problems were with Canon...but Pentax service is not Canon's.

These ring-shaped spots are the images of oil lubricant on the surface of the low pass filter (LPF), which is located in front of the CMOS sensor.

This oil is used inside the Mirror Box to lubricate some of the camera's moving parts. If the oil is applied too liberally when the camera is manufactured, it can become scattered onto the surface of the LPF through normal camera operation.

Last edited by ogl; 12-07-2010 at 07:31 AM.
12-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I can only guess.
I would guess that the AA filter is Lithium niobate between two or three sheets of glass. And the cover glass should be glass too. And all surfaces should have an SMC quality level coating. Add to that microlenses, CFA bayer filter and IR filter and we end up with an awful lot of surfaces (13 if I count correctly). They better are all coated ...

Base on what you say and what I see in coating plant , I sell to one here who do Hard coat on plastic, this could be from the coating. I suspect air bubble. When the coating dry , this create this donut effect when air is rejected

This is just a potential cause and have I have no fact
12-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #147
Veteran Member

I don't think so, the Canon (and Nikon who had the same issue) issue is due to oilstains coming from the camera mechanics... So they are on the outside, our stains appear to be on the inside....
12-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #148
Veteran Member

I am really afraid to look for the dreaded spots on my K5 my serial number is 3839123 it was bought via Amazon by my wife as a Bday present I am having issues with the Flash and hate to think this is a problem as well. I do think I will have to check out whether the spots are there and maybe think about a return ;(
12-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #149
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I don't think so, the Canon (and Nikon who had the same issue) issue is due to oilstains coming from the camera mechanics... So they are on the outside, our stains appear to be on the inside....
I think it's oil lubricant too. Maybe from another place of K-5.
12-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Service Notice: EOS-1D Mark III/EOS-1Ds Mark III: Oil Spots on LPF Surface

These ring-shaped spots are the images of oil lubricant on the surface of the low pass filter (LPF), which is located in front of the CMOS sensor.

This oil is used inside the Mirror Box to lubricate some of the camera's moving parts. If the oil is applied too liberally when the camera is manufactured, it can become scattered onto the surface of the LPF through normal camera operation.

Not the same problem unfortunately... Oil splatter would have been an easy clean... what we're seeing however looks like the sensor assembly got contaminated with dust during the assembly... Only remedy being the whole sensor replacement...
Closed Thread