Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #286

Photos: Gallery
Yes

Yep, definitely got stains. Did the test with two different lense to rule out dusty lenses. Serail No 3856067 bought in the UK.

12-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Nope... that's actually the FA50/1.4...

Just called the store I got it from... they have nothing to replace it with... So I have two choices:

1)return it and leave the shop with something that actually works out of the box...

2)let them send it to Pentax either to get fixed of replaced... that should take about 1 month +/-

I recall somebody's argument about maturity... well... how mature is that... I have to loose my camera for over a month just before Christmas for some stupid spot on a sensor?
It appears that the String-O-Pearls is most noticeable under very particular circumstance - against skies and other plain surfaces while using very small apertures.

Could you use your camera over the holidays and then exchange it afterwards?
12-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
It appears that the String-O-Pearls is most noticeable under very particular circumstance - against skies and other plain surfaces while using very small apertures.

Could you use your camera over the holidays and then exchange it afterwards?
That's the direction i'm leaning towards as well... Using the camera a lot for both personal and work, so I'd have to pick up at least a rusty K10 before sending-in the K5 for repair or replacement... not cool...
12-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
My wall was tooo dirty totest so I made an appointment with a painter....
However, here is my sky:

f32:
Also weird gradient but I have a new laptop with newlsy installed LR 3.3 so that may be the culprit.

12-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #290
Veteran Member

janneman: no need for a painter, i took the easy way: dim light, and long exposure time, it will blur out the details on the wall, and make the imprefections on the sensor stand out even more (and save you from wondering "was this on the wall or on the sensor?"
12-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #291
Veteran Member

I've used a letter-sized sheet of paper... sky or wall works just as well... and it doesn't really mater if it's in focus or not...
12-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
So i guess you'll never fly in a large aeroplane again then?
you guess wrong. only a few of the newer ones are "fly-by-wire", and the concept is, indeed, quite stupid (convenient for most everybody but the pilot, but still stupid. and not because of the wire..). to answer what you meant to say (rather than what you said), i would prefer not to get in an a330 if i could have that choice. i'll take the b737 any day. that's my choice (or my insanity), it shouldn't mean much to anybody else, though.

amazing how many people have reacted to my (obvious) inflamatory joke. lighten up. i do hate fly-by-wire (and throttle by wire, and steer-by-wire), and i have my reasons to. it doesn't mean you have to hate it too (unless your reasoning is right, of course). do i have to use an emoticon for tongue-in-cheek? (i hate emoticons too, btw)
12-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #293
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
you guess wrong. only a few of the newer ones are "fly-by-wire", and the concept is, indeed, quite stupid (convenient for most everybody but the pilot, but still stupid. and not because of the wire..). to answer what you meant to say (rather than what you said), i would prefer not to get in an a330 if i could have that choice. i'll take the b737 any day. that's my choice (or my insanity), it shouldn't mean much to anybody else, though.

amazing how many people have reacted to my (obvious) inflamatory joke. lighten up. i do hate fly-by-wire (and throttle by wire, and steer-by-wire), and i have my reasons to. it doesn't mean you have to hate it too (unless your reasoning is right, of course). do i have to use an emoticon for tongue-in-cheek? (i hate emoticons too, btw)
I can see why you hate emoticons, they are little more than emotions-by-wire. Laugh out loud Laugh out loud Laugh out loud

Last edited by johnmflores; 12-10-2010 at 11:07 AM.
12-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #294
Veteran Member

hahaha. you got me there! damn (i do appreciate the thoughtfulness of not using them, btw).

--
nanok-aka-the-luddite
12-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #295
Inactive Account

No string of pearls, but I do have 1 spot. Unfortunately it is nearly dead center in the frame and is slightly visibly at f11. Very aggravating. Still deciding what to do.
12-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #296
Site Supporter

Got stain.

Just tested my brand new K-5, first with an FA 50mm lens and then with a Sigma 80-200mm lens, shooting blank beige door at about 5-6 feet away, ISO 100, f16, roughly 1-2.5 second exposures with camera resting on a table.

The same small stain pattern appears. It is quite different from the dust and other marks that sometimes also can be found. Did some dust removal before shooting and while shooting, but that didn't begin to touch the "stain".

S.N. 3883039, purchased from Canada.

Luckily, in my case, the stain is small enough that I think I can live with it for now. But I shoot macro, and I'll have to be careful.

I'll see what Pentax decides to do, and if it needs to be shipped back, I'll do it within the year warranty. At this point, having heard on this forum that Pentax is looking into the problem and assuring customers, I trust that an appropriate response will be found.
12-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #297
Veteran Member

Interesting... reading this discussion has now saved me the expense of a K-5!

Anyone tried DIY removal with a Pentax O-ICK1 sensor cleaning kit?

.R.
12-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #298

I've got them. 3824127
12-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #299
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote

slightly off-topic: nanok: as a former Boeing 737 pilot with years of experience on it (and I really really like it) I have to tell you that the controls are not fly by wire but the engines are..the system is called EEC or on other aeroplanes it's called FADEC and as some critisizers pointed out the problem for them lies in the first two letters Full Authorithy..Digital Engine Control..so the throttles are joy-sticks really.. as they are on even modern turboprops with conventional looking propellers. And the only reason the 737 still has direct control to the ailerons and elevators is the size of the airplane..with that size the direct control with cables and rods is still manageble..(and that was the way it was designed in the early 60ies) The very succesful Boeing777 is also fly by wire..the only difference from the Airbus is the program inside..really I have to tell You that there are pilots who love the the Airbus design (with previous Boeing experience )and there are the ones who miss the simplicity of the Boeings..but this is a job of course..

on topic: my K-5 is on the way to a Pentax Service Center somewhere in Europe..I will keep you informed as soon as I know something..

Andras
12-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #300
Veteran Member

andras: offtopic indeed, but still interesting: i didn't know about the engine control on 737, interesting, thanks for pointing out. cables and rods are not what i think could be used for such big airliners, but that's besides the point: as i said, it's not the wire that bothers me, is, as you said, the "authority" and the lack of direct feedback in most cases. i do know some pilots love the a330 series, and i'm not surprised (pilots have to be very adaptable by nature). i actually follow the blog of one of them (i hate blogs, but this is different ). as i said, my preference is my own, and my statement was merely a joke. i personally cringe at the thought of flying a "wheel" type design rather than a stick, let alone by wire, hate "electornic" pitch control, and so on. but i never flew an airliner, and probably never will.

on topic: my k-5 is also out to be "evaluated". we will see how it goes. good luck, and thanks for the interesting insight
Closed Thread