Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
My wall was tooo dirty totest so I made an appointment with a painter....
However, here is my sky:

f32:
Also weird gradient but I have a new laptop with newlsy installed LR 3.3 so that may be the culprit.
HI jenneman
it looks like your K5 is slightly affected; mine shows same pattern from f11 onwards so I returned it for an exchange.

12-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #302

Photos: Gallery
S/N: 3885790 All clear!!
12-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SN 3832134 with stains; confirmed by dealer

Will hear next week of plan of action
12-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #304
ogl
Pentaxian

There is info from Pentax dealer that the problem is in SONY'S QC. I've found it in any Pentax forum. But, forgot a link.

Could anybody give a link?

The sensor is usually shipped to the customer as WHOLE SET with AA filter. There are no any equipment at any DSLR factory to put AA filter to sensor. The sensor set is made under DSLR's manufacturer demand.

12-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #305

No stains

No stains s/n 3823889
12-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #306
DJP

Well, I have sensor stains too. s/n 3847744. I bought it from Amazon, through H and B Digital. I sent an email to the seller today, hopefully they'll respond soon. I have had the camera just over 1 month. I just saw this thread today and did some testing and sure enough there are stains right in the middle of the sensor.

Anyone know the best way to get it replaced? Through the seller (H and B Digital), Amazon or Pentax???
12-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There is info from Pentax dealer that the problem is in SONY'S QC. I've found it in any Pentax forum. But, forgot a link.

Could anybody give a link?

The sensor is usually shipped to the customer as WHOLE SET with AA filter. There are no any equipment at any DSLR factory to put AA filter to sensor. The sensor set is made under DSLR's manufacturer demand.
Where did you hear so?

I think you confuse the AA filter with the microlens assembly.

The AA filter (and on top of it, the IR filter with ultrasonic antidust vibration) is as hard to assemble as glass. And is replaced by some third party companies offering this as a service. Around 450 Euro for the K-5 btw...

There was a post mentioning a Pentax dealer (the Australian distributor) that the problem was with the supplier of the AA assemblies. But that post turned out to be a speculation on the dealer's side. And Sony Microelectronics isn't supplying AA filters.

So, to me it looks like you're just spreading unreliable information here. But that wouldn't be a first for you, right?

Last edited by falconeye; 12-12-2010 at 04:57 PM.
12-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #308
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

The AA filter (and on top of it, the IR filter with ultrasonic antidust vibration) is as hard to assemble as glass.

There was a post mentioning a Pentax dealer (the Australian distributor) that the problem was with the supplier of the AA assemblies. But that post turned out to be a speculation on the dealer's side. And Sony Microelectronics isn't supplying AA filters.

So, to me it looks like you're just spreading unreliable information here. But that wouldn't be a first for you, right?
Pentax factory at Phillipiness doesn't put AA filter to sensor. It's assembly factory.
They assembly cameras from component parts from various suppliers.
No any fine work with sensor.

Do you think that Pentax gets sensor naked from Sony and then they put all another stuff for sensor?

12-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #309

Minulla on helminauhaa anturin kuvassa.
Numero 3825202
12-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #310
Veteran Member

Do you think that Pentax gets sensor naked from Sony and then they put all another stuff for sensor?
I said a dozen times now what I think ...

Sony Microelectronis supplies a CMOS sensor packed into a ceramic ball grid array housing (BGA) which has a glass cover plate. It has soldiering points on its underside and a glass window on its top side and is a gray ceramic otherwise. This is what is called a "chip". Maybe, read a bit about it.

A "naked" CMOS sensor would be called a die. Because the microlenses and CFA filter is microaligned to the die, it is attached directly to it and is embedded into the chip. But that is NOT the anti alias filter assembly we are talking about.

Pentax soldiers the BGA onto their shake reduction daughterboard PCB. That's typically outsourced to a PCB manufacturer who then does the soldiering too. It's an automated process and I assume Pentax does it somewhere near Tokyo. Or they have own machines for this.

Maybe, they preassemble the entire SR module prior to sending it to the Philippines. It's easy: After soldiering, you clean, glue the AA filter assembly and screw two metal blades to the bottom/top of the assembly. It is at that cleaning step I image the contamination is happening. And this is entirely Pentax' domain.
12-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #311
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I said a dozen times now what I think ...

Sony Microelectronis supplies a CMOS sensor packed into a ceramic ball grid array housing (BGA) which has a glass cover plate. It has soldiering points on its underside and a glass window on its top side and is a gray ceramic otherwise. This is what is called a "chip". Maybe, read a bit about it.

A "naked" CMOS sensor would be called a die. Because the microlenses and CFA filter is microaligned to the die, it is attached directly to it and is embedded into the chip. But that is NOT the anti alias filter assembly we are talking about.

Pentax soldiers the BGA onto their shake reduction daughterboard PCB. That's typically outsourced to a PCB manufacturer who then does the soldiering too. It's an automated process and I assume Pentax does it somewhere near Tokyo. Or they have own machines for this.

Maybe, they preassemble the entire SR module prior to sending it to the Philippines. It's easy: After soldiering, you clean, glue the AA filter assembly and screw two metal blades to the bottom/top of the assembly. It is at that cleaning step I image the contamination is happening. And this is entirely Pentax' domain.
So...Is it Pentax fault?
12-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #312

So...Is it Pentax fault?
It can answer only Pentax, I don't think that you or falconeye knows exactly where AA filter assembly is glued. Maybe it's outsourced by Pentax to other company.
12-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #313

No stains, only 2 small dust spots (barely visible at f22).
12-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No Stains, Maybe A Dust Bunny?

Hello,
I am new to Pentax and loving the K-5. (Nikon FM user and Canon EOS 3). I am also new to the DSLR world. Here are a couple small files showing what I guess is a dust spot? The in-camera dust remover didn't do anything and I am waiting for my air bulb to see if that jars anything loose.

What do the experts think? I sandwich dust ball or on the surface? These are at f22. You can see a less visible version at f16 and at wider apertures you don't notice it.

I don't think it is to hard to pick out the spot... (3 o'clock)

Thanks
Attached Images

12-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #315

Joined the infamous "string of pearls" club...

Greetings to all Pentaxians,

I've bought a K-5 body in Romania.

After doing some macros and constantly wondering why a centered string of dots appeared in every picture I've taken, I finally read this thread.

Went today to the shop, talked with the shop owner - he said I'll get an answer tomorrow about a possible replacement of the K-5 body.

Left my camera to be replaced (or repaired, but I have some strong doubts about that ).

It's very embarrassing to not have my K-5 available for the moment, considering that it was my only (semi-)professional camera I've got left.

Cheers,
Even

Last edited by Even; 12-17-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Closed Thread