Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #436

There we go! Just got a new K-5 without any stains. Snr: 3969699.

Is this poll really fair given that some cameras with stains get replaced and the user cant vote 'no'?

12-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
AntY ... I think at this point the poll is irrelevant anyways... it's point was to establish that there was a contamination problem with a significant number of K5's and to get Pentax to do something about it.

It may not take into account the new clean cameras people have traded, but it also doesn't take into account the people who got 2 and 3 bad cameras.

Pat
12-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #438
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
My first email via Pentaxcanada.ca's webform generated a reply from Pentax USA. This website International Service Network (America) : Support & Service : PENTAX lists the email address service@pentaxcanada.ca. That's the one that got me a reply from Mississauga.
Hi JayBee.

I am late posting here, following this post of yours regarding Pentax Canada webform emailing.

Please note that I have sent several such emails (for different questions or issues) to that very address, I tried anyway, and NEVER received an answer. Never, ever.

So, if you have had any positive experience with Pentax Canada replying to any of your emails that way, please let me know how you managed to get it (them).

Same goes with their representatives: totally useless! I had once, recently, been given a name and a direct telephone number - along with an extension number - for a "Dan" at Pentax Canada ... tried several times, leaving messages on his answering "service", to no avail.
I still have this number, so if anyone wants to try a call, I'll be happy to provide it just to prove how miserably uncaring the Pentax Canada rep's can be.

The only way I could get to them is by calling the main number in Mississauga and going through the paces of their answering system ... you know: press 1 ... Press 2 ... Press 3 .... sorry all of our rep's are busy ... blah, blah, blah, and wait forever BUT finally can talk to someone.

Just my ten cents.

Cheers.

JP
12-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #439
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Thats good to know! At least now I know that the Pentax Canada webform email app is flawed.

I'll resend (for the third time) my email at that address right now.

Thanks a million!

Pat
Best of luck with that, Pat.

Let me know if you could get ANY reply ... I never did.
(See my post just above this one)

JP

12-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #440
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JP, I got an answer from a customer service rep within 24 hours of emailing service@pentaxcanada.ca, I'll be sending in my camera after Jan 1st.

They did acknowledge that they were looking into the webmail problem by the way.

Pat
12-31-2010, 01:09 AM   #441
Veteran Member

I just got back from my local agent a K-5 that was sent in with a small stain. Camera came back perfect with no issues. Shutter count was 1. Thank you Pentax Japan.
12-31-2010, 02:43 AM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AntY Quote

Is this poll really fair given that some cameras with stains get replaced and the user cant vote 'no'?
It appears to be reasonably indicative of that which the typical buyer is initially sold. Currently hovering at a >56% stained rate on a worldwide market representative basis.

Naturally, any replacement or repair camera supplied to a purchaser in lieu should be expected to be correct (although some have reported to the contrary, with at least one on multiple occasions), so including them in the dataset would surely distort its accuracy. Do you think that is misleading, or wrong?
And should the ones whose stains have spontaneously appeared from use at sometime after purchase be excluded? Surely not. Those cameras suffer the same problem too. And it also stands within the normal warranty cycle.
The usual meaning of "fair" includes truth; ie. for most people, being able to have faith in the numbers as true and representative.

Mind you, I ack that that can only apply if perceived untainted with emotional, partial persuasions and predispositions - the age old human art of agenda-bending.
Fanboyism and Brand Loyalty You Are Not So Smart

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-31-2010 at 02:00 PM.
12-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #443
Inactive Account

Mine was stained, too. Bought in Germany with a French manual. SNo 3882754, Firmware 1.00

12-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #444
Loyal Site Supporter

Bought mine a couple of days ago from Samys Camera in Pasadena CA (they said it was the only one in stock, not sure about that). SN 392 and no stains.

PS - Came with the updated firmware.
12-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #445

yep i noticed it too....you can see here

yep i have the stains...you can see in the upper left hand corner. very apparent in the blue sky; in the palm trees, it's right above the third right most one. bleah. now what? i love the camera :'(
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #446
Veteran Member

Original Poster
raphtze yup, that "string of pearls" contamination is quite visible...

Pat
12-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #447
Banned

I have a single stain right in the middle of the frame. Actually, it's two stains, but the second smaller one is so close to the main one that it doesn't really count:

View Picture EXIF
Name:  HT4992.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  70.5 KB

The upper left smudge is a resilient dust mote. The dark spot (and its moon) is the stain. That's a 100% crop.
12-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #448
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raphtze Quote
... now what? i love the camera :'(
This looks like a notorious string of pearls :-I. You might want to explicitly do the dust removal from the menu and give the sensor the blower treatment if only to be able to report you have tried that when getting in touch with the seller to get the problem solved.
12-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #449
Veteran Member

I have tried to ignore the thought of stains, know I had one or two maybe until tonight found a bunch and SOP :-( will post tomorrow
12-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #450

so i'm on vacay in SoCal and went out to Cal's Camera in Newport Beach, CA. picked up some cleaner solution (eclipse) and a swab. followed the instructions (and i have probably had 1500 shots on my K-5 since getting it early this month)--can't imagine already cleaning, but did it. well the string of pearls are still there i bought this camera with my american express points over at buy.com. got it for a relative steal paying only 1100 shipped (i had 700 dollars off thanks to blowing *all* 85,000 something points hehehe) i think i will get in touch with the good folks at California Precision Service Camera Repair: DSLR, Digital, SLR, 35mm, Lens and Video Camcorder Repair - California Precision Service, Inc. - Sacramento, California, USA (i had those folks replace the shutter on my PZ-1p a few years back).

-raphael
Closed Thread