Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #481
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K5 had no stain 4 weeks before, and there is no stain at this day, after a intensive utilisation, it's totaly clear.
I've check again after the post saying than there is maybe a evolutive issue.
SN 3828XXX

01-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #482
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just found those stains on serial # 3836358. Looked clean when I first received the body so I'll have to correct my info in the database
01-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #483
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finrod Quote

Fantastic, the blower blows dust on my sensor.

yep...poxy aint it,i leave dust alone now, unless its big, quite often you make matters worse with a blower
01-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #484
Inactive Account

I think this stain thing is taking off a bit too much. Seem every little dust and “stain” is interpreted as a sign of a defective censor.

I don’t think a blower is a good way to clean dust off the censor. The blower sucks dusty air from the outside, and blows it into the camera. I think that is something that should be avoided.
The Pentax O-ICK1 censor cleaning kit is a much better way, where one actually picks dust off the censor without blowing more dust in there.

I have the string of pearl stains, and will eventually send it in for a replacement. When I first noticed those stains there where also other single stains, some very blury ”oily” stains. After wet cleaning with censor swabs all those single stains were gone, but some new “stains” had been introduced. A couple of minutes with the O-ICK1 kit to remove those new dust “stains”, and the censor was pure and clean again – except for the “string of pearls” of course.

blower – NO
O-ICK1 censor cleaning kit - YES

01-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #485
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Finrod Quote
Fantastic, the blower blows dust on my sensor.
Thats why Giotto blowers have filters "in" it, you are in the better position than the ruining vintage/rare focusing screens like me..
Sometimes stubborn dusts wont go, you have to elevate to brush like me, , or O-ICK1 alike sticky systems.

Believe me I swept most panic attacking dust in no time with a lousy brush. Clean and de-dust the brush paranoically first.

Last edited by cbaytan; 01-03-2011 at 08:35 AM.
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #486

Three weeks ago, unpacked, take test shots, no stains.
Today:

SN #382287xxxxxxx
01-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #487
Veteran Member

Many new one we see are not stain but dust. When I check mine , I saw spot use the brush and put more on it . Finally the Pentax kit was not available near my place I bought Visible Dust swab and work like a charm

PS , what is important is a string of stain not a single stain and the spot need to have an hollow center.

01-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #488
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wiker Quote
I think this stain thing is taking off a bit too much. Seem every little dust and “stain” is interpreted as a sign of a defective censor.
This is why a disaster for sure for Pentax. This will affect Pentax and Pentax users (us) financial situation in a bad sense.
01-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #489

QuoteOriginally posted by Wiker Quote
And I was into it to its full extent.
Thanks for all your help.
01-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I ordered a kit from Amazon, and this was the replacement. I am hoping it is not a stain, but the "Orion Belt" pattern apparent when using F16 and above worries me. I used the Arctic Butterfly, but it was of no consequence. I will try order a wet cleaner and see if I can get rid of this.

As you see in the attached pics, there are some isolated spots, which I assume is dust. The three in series is what bothers me, especially since I will be shooting a lot of landscape. The production date of my camera was Dec 1, 2010, so well within the admitted date range for defective ones. I will post the serial number if I it indeed turns out t be a stain.

Last edited by pentaman; 12-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.
01-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
This is why a disaster for sure for Pentax. This will affect Pentax and Pentax users (us) financial situation in a bad sense.
Not if they acknowledge the fact and replace affected camera's in a timely fashion. Timely to me means one week turn around on defective cameras. They should also provide prepaid shipping.
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #492
Veteran Member

A QC failure like this could be seen as a change to instill confidence into us punters, an investment in the brand reputation, as in "Would you buy a just introduced DLSR from this company?" ;-)
01-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #493
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, just sent my k5d in to Pentax Canada service this morning... let's see what kind of turn around we'll have.

Pat
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #494
Veteran Member

I just recheck mine after almost 1000 click. No change no stain

Camera production date was Oct 22 2010

Interesting dat from Photo me giving me an internal serial # ,mine is 3441. I do not know if this is the serail for the k-5 only
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #495
Inactive Account

Maybe I was a bit harsh I my comment above, but still think a blower is not the right way, even if it has a filter. A blower sets air in motion, both inside and utside of the camera. A hurricane in the camera has no control of where the dust goes. The dust may blow of the censor (for now) and settle somewhere else inside. Also it may stir up old dust in there that now may settle on the censor instead. In my eyes a brush is even worse.
My point was only that if using a blower or brush I believe the potential of putting new dust on the censor is so high, that it’s hard to interpret any single spots. A more controlled cleaning method (which I think the O-ICK1 kit is) has to be used – I think.

Here are my pearls. Top view is how it looked a month ago, and the bottom how it is today.
Closed Thread