Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
How about this:
When the problem gets worse in a few weeks, and you can no longer tolerate the fact that your $1600 investment is showing stains on your best pictures, will you be more likely to consider having the camera fixed/replaced under warranty? What if that's exactly during a period when you need the camera the most? Is that really the best time to be sending it away for weeks?
a work around, if your in such a Jam would be to Photoshop the offending stains out..

01-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
How about this:
When the problem gets worse in a few weeks, and you can no longer tolerate the fact that your $1600 investment is showing stains on your best pictures, will you be more likely to consider having the camera fixed/replaced under warranty? What if that's exactly during a period when you need the camera the most? Is that really the best time to be sending it away for weeks?
To quote myself:

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I've contacted the store I got my camera from, and it will be replaced once they receive more stock, probably at the end of the month
I.e. the store from which I got my K-5 does not currently have any stock of the camera. When they get more stock in, probably at the end of this month, they will then go and replace my camera. I did not make this clear, but it's a brick and mortar store from which I got my K-5, so I won't have weeks to wait. I'll go into the store with my current K-5, they'll double check it to make sure it's a stain problem, and then they'll replace it with another camera, there and then. That's probably one of the advantages of buying local. So yes, I have considered having the camera fixed/replaced under warranty, and will be getting it replaced under warranty, but in the meantime, I intend to be using the camera; like I said, they're not noticeable in any normal photos, even when I'm shooting at around F11. When I'm shooting test photos to look for the spots, i.e. against a plain background, at F11, they're so faint that unless you're looking for it, you wouldn't notice it, and they start to be a tiny bit more visible from F16 onwards. It's only when I get up until F22 or more that you start to notice it. But hey, I tend to go out into the real world to take photos, and not shoot test shots all day, so for me, in normal use, it hasn't been a problem. Once again, I'll qualify this with "yet". The sensor stains may get worse, or not, who knows.

I'm also not worried about it the stains showing on my "best pictures" because I have a K-7 and K10D, and next Tuesday when I'm doing a shoot for a client, those are the two cameras that I will be using.

P.S, it was only a $1400 investment for me
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #543
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No email so figured I would check in with another chat with Pentax USA today 01/07/11 1:45PM EST

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Paul C.
Paul C: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?

Patrick Brough: Quick question. I chatted here with Randell about my Pentax K5 - he indicated I would get an email from Pentax corporate with shipping label to send my K5 in for stained sensor issue. Just wondering how long before I recieve that email. Thanks in advance
Paul C: was this a recent conversation with Randall
Patrick Brough: Yes it was yesterday morning ish and it was Randall S
Patrick Brough: eastern standard time
Paul C: usually they get them sent out with in 2-3 days
Patrick Brough: OK thanks. I will give it until Monday just wanted to be sure it was not the same day as I had not heard anything.
Paul C: it could be sooner , just depends on other tasks in the office Patrick Brough: OK, is there anyway to check on it? if not I guess I could wait.
Paul C: it would be best just to keep a check on your email
Patrick Brough: Ok thanks for your help. I will check back Monday if I have not recieved the email. Have a great weekend.
Paul C: Thank you for dropping by, Patrick, and have a great day!
01-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #544
Inactive Account

I got my K-5 yesterday 01/06/11 and tested today 01/07/11. S/N: 38939139
Test shows a visibly obvious spot close to center and a vertical line of larger but less obvious spots beside it. Got it from Amazon.

01-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #545
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Due to some questionable discussion (by a minority) and the time this thread has been active, we feel that thread has more than served it purpose.
Mod team has decided that this thread is now closed.
Closed Thread