Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #121
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I am in Tokyo right now and looking to replace my K200D with the K-5. MAPCAMERA shop (not internet!) price with a non Japanese passport draw the price down to 112,191 Yen . They are willing to pay 20,000Yen for my K200D that leaves a great deal for the K-5 body - about 1.1K$. The stains is a big holdup for me. So my question is : from the guys that identify the stains - is it time dependent (meaning - does is appears after a long use/heat or you can spot it on site in the store?
Thanks
Ofer

12-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Dear Ofer

For you best would be to go in the store with kit lens (clean) from your K200D and check it on K-5 at f/16 onwards. While reviewing the shots enlarge them by 2 to 5 times and check corner to corner and center for the spots.

Atindra
12-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #123

2 small stains, 1 barely noticeable.

s/n 3832045, bought in Belgium.
12-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
Problem with a thread like this is that people quote the poll results as being indicative of overall results - i.e. more than 60% of K-5's suffer from this problem. The reality is that it is far fewer - with those experiencing no problems unlikely to bother reading a thread like this
I would normally agree. But only people having done the test respond. I would say only 1% noticed any problem before doing the test anyway.

So, let's assume that every forum member having done the test with particles responds yes, while only every second w/o responds no.

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Also, I reckon a significant portion of that 60% is actually just people who can't tell the difference between particularly annoying dust spots and stains.
That's what I mean. Only strings of stain are a good sign of seeing the particular problem.

Dust spots (on top of the cleanable surface) are ~3x farer away and at f/32, they look like a problem stain at f/11. That's easily confused.

My K-7 has a few ordinary dust spots which are nothing to worry about.

My K-7 has a single uncleanable stain (dust particle) between sensor and AA filter too. Must be normal.

E.g., Abstract should count as "no".

QuoteOriginally posted by Beau Quote
2 small stains, 1 barely noticeable.
s/n 3832045, bought in Belgium.
This is what I mean. Should count as "no".

So, we may assume that about half the "yes" reports are "no" actually (as far as the specific K-5 issue is concerned).

This reduces the percentage of positive findings to 21%, i.e., one out of five. Which is still high. 15,000 units ...

12-07-2010, 03:59 AM   #125

No issue serial number 3889448
12-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #126

Some of mine stains

Looks a little bit like Orions belt. Tried to clean it with the Pentax Sensor cleaning kit it but no luck. Can be seen from f10 and upwards. A little bit above the center in the uncropped image.
Serial 3822xxx
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
12-07-2010, 04:18 AM   #127
Veteran Member

I politely disagree....

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I would normally agree. But only people having done the test respond. I would say only 1% noticed any problem before doing the test anyway.

So, let's assume that every forum member having done the test with particles responds yes, while only every second w/o responds no.

That's what I mean. Only strings of stain are a good sign of seeing the particular problem.

Dust spots (on top of the cleanable surface) are ~3x farer away and at f/32, they look like a problem stain at f/11. That's easily confused.

My K-7 has a few ordinary dust spots which are nothing to worry about.

My K-7 has a single uncleanable stain (dust particle) between sensor and AA filter too. Must be normal.

E.g., Abstract should count as "no"..

First of all, with this spotfrenzy on the road, the "not having a problem"crowd will be more likely to respond...

And if the fault can leave soms cameras unaffected and with other produce a group or string of spots, there is a good possibility that the "something inbetween" (like 1 or 2 spots) is also very likely to appear...
12-07-2010, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #128
Forum Member

Pentax owners
I read every word printed here (just before my decision to switch from K200 to K-5) and I really do not understand some of the thought here. Some of us are protecting Pentax as if we own it. Dam no. we are proud customers as most of the icons in this site. We did not get our equipment for free – we bought it in good price during tens of year (30 as for me). So after so many years we think like a family – Does Pentax Co feel we are its family? We Are Customers! Each one of us paid a good money for Pentax product. And if K-5 has issues with % of the sensor we shouldn’t care if it's 25 , 37,5 or 60.75. It’s a problem - it should be fixed. I will be VERY happy to be a customer of a company that say – Sorry guys ! we are selling product because people like you buy it. If you stop – we will lose money . So anyone that have and issue on our newest flagship – will be treated as a customer not as a nuisance.
Some time I defend the stuff I buy cause I bought it. It should be dealt with Pentax. especially as a group.

12-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #129
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems I was the first one who addressed the cmos has some dirt marks (stain) in the beginning and could not be cleaned
But somebodies did not realised this is truth in this forum.
Now more and more stain cmos complaints are coming:ugh:
What are they thinking now?
12-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, we may assume that about half the "yes" reports are "no" actually (as far as the specific K-5 issue is concerned).

This reduces the percentage of positive findings to 21%, i.e., one out of five. Which is still high. 15,000 units ...
I don't think this is how statistics work
12-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #131
ogl
Pentaxian

The same defect was in Canon high speed reportage cameras - Canon said that it had been oil from mirror gear.
12-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not BS but it might not matter so much. I have reported mine to the seller Vanbar in Melbourne Oz and Kennedy the distributor. Vanbar was aware of the problem and recommend dealing direct with Kennedy, info for Oz purchases. Attached (I hope) image is a f22 and 200% crop and string of dots is barely visible at 100%.

At this stage I doubt whether it's worth worrying about.
Attached Images

12-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #133
Veteran Member

these stain threads are making me glad Ive not upgraded from the K7 yet..I think Ill wait a while until this issue is sorted !!
12-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #134
Veteran Member

I originally thought I just had two spots, but at f/32 it appears it might be a string - not sure. In normal shooting I can see the two main spots, but not the ones around them.

400% crop, f/32.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Vanbar was aware of the problem and recommend dealing direct with Kennedy, info for Oz purchases.
Thanks for the info David. Hopefully mine won't have these issues when I get it in ~2 weeks.
Closed Thread