Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #151
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Not the same problem unfortunately... Oil splatter would have been an easy clean... what we're seeing however looks like the sensor assembly got contaminated with dust during the assembly... Only remedy being the whole sensor replacement...
Canon users couldn't clean at home too. No way.

12-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Canon users couldn't clean at home too. No way.
So far nobody was able to wet clean it either... not even the "professional" camera store's technicians... Even if it's the case, AA filter replacement doesn't sound too fun for Pentax either... I foresee marketplace boycotting K5 bodies with SN under 39xxxxx...
12-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think it's oil lubricant too. Maybe from another place of K-5.
If so, they by faulty equipment on the sensor assembly line, before the AA filter is mounted...
12-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #154
Veteran Member

I do not believe it will be oil. Oil will move or change shape when you get the dust remover activated

12-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #155
Veteran Member

So far nobody was able to wet clean it either... not even the "professional" camera store's technicians... Even if it's the case, AA filter replacement doesn't sound too fun for Pentax either... I foresee marketplace boycotting K5 bodies with SN under 39xxxxx...
I'd consider buying a more lightly affected body at a slightly reduced price. I shoot greater than f11 almost never, and it would be a good way to get a second body.
12-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #156
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I do not believe it will be oil. Oil will move or change shape when you get the dust remover activated
Hmm...I'm not sure. Oil is just common name for lubricant.
The traces of stains at K-5 looks like lubricant traces. But...Anyway.
There is the problem and I'd like to listen Hoya's answer...
12-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'd consider buying a more lightly affected body at a slightly reduced price. I shoot greater than f11 almost never, and it would be a good way to get a second body.
I'm with you when the time will come to buy a second body...

However, the problem most people are having right now, is that we're paying an over-premium price, for not so premium product with horrible QC... not cool...

I have yet to pick up my copy... Guess i'm not leaving the shop until testing the body for both AF accuracy and sensor "cleanliness"...

I'm 200% certain that Pentax has discovered the problem during the production, but they had to push it through because of the release dates... So far it look like a good part of first 80K units is badly affected...

12-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #158

I took my camera to the shop where I purchased it and they said that it looked very much like the Canon-issue. They could actually see the stains on the sensor with a loupe.

The issue is real, I could see the stains right away when i opened the file at a 20'' monitor. Talking about pictures, some of the stain-images here are quite interesting and abstract. People who are going to post stain/dust-images: Colorful backgrounds please!
12-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #159

Poll might not be accurate

Keep in mind when looking at the poll, that this forum as a number of trolls that would love to click 'yes' and make this camera look crappy.

Not debating the sensor issue, it looks real, just consider this then looking at those numbers.
12-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #160
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PixleFish Quote
Keep in mind when looking at the poll, that this forum as a number of trolls that would love to click 'yes' and make this camera look crappy.

Not debating the sensor issue, it looks real, just consider this then looking at those numbers.
it's easy to see poll results with names.
12-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter

However, the problem most people are having right now, is that we're paying an over-premium price, for not so premium product with horrible QC... not cool...

Well, that one should go into the archives as one of the less credible posts this year.
12-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #162

just check it with my new K-5 & the stain is there !! OMG

sn # 3876592

is there any news from pentax regarding this issue ?
12-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PixleFish Quote
:
Or fanboys pushing the "no"- button....
12-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, that one should go into the archives as one of the less credible posts this year.
Sure.... same as the fact that I had to go through three (3x) K7 bodies to get one with acceptably accurate AF that was not out of adjustment range out of the box...
12-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure.... same as the fact that I had to go through three (3x) K7 bodies to get one with acceptably accurate AF that was not out of adjustment range out of the box...
My bad, I had thought this thread was about the K5.
The K5 is not a premium product, it is priced in line with competitors products of similar function, and while it appears to have a QC issue with a major component from an outside manufacturer, if the QC was "horrible", I suspect that the cameras would be arriving DOA.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't choose a real premium product such as the Canon 1D MarkIII or 1Ds Mark 3. Youd have a $6500.00 for a camera that splashes lube onto the sensor.
I'm sure that would make you positively apoplectic.
Closed Thread