Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
So...Is it Pentax fault?
It's a Pentax camera: therefore, it's Pentax responsibility.

12-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It's a Pentax camera: therefore, it's Pentax responsibility.
That's not what Ford said about Firestone Tires.

Yeah, I'm just stirring the pot!

12-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #318
Veteran Member

My K-5 is with stains
SN: 3828555
Bought in Lithuania

100% crop, f/38
12-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #319

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
My K-5 is with stains
SN: 3828555
Bought in Lithuania

100% crop, f/38
ask Vilbara for new K-5 !

12-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #320
Veteran Member

Got new K5 sn 39006xx in replacement of sn 38416xx which was severely affected; no more issue now; problem solved at least for me
Regards
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #321

QuoteOriginally posted by Even Quote
After doing some macros and constantly wondering why a centered string of dots appeared in every picture I've taken, I finally read this thread.
We're still waiting to see some real-life macro shots with the string of pearls in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/125130-real-photos-not-t...ls-stains.html

Would you mind posting some? Thanks.
12-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #322

Stain appearing after heavy use

I think I have a different situation to most, having developed the stain after some heavy use.

The first attachment below was taken on December 6th and I found a very slight shadow that resembled the reported stain, but wasn't anything to worry about in my regular use. You may be able to make it out about a third the way down, two-thirds across. Thinking it was dust my blower and the Dust Removal couldn't shake off, I ordered the O-ICK1 cleaning kit. Before it arrived I had a party to photograph on the weekend and shot off over 500 pictures in a little under three hours. Checking the sensor again on Monday, found the string of dots close to the shadow, obvious in the second attachment below. I've used the blower, run the Dust Removal again, and stuck the O-ICK1 in there to clean as best I could - with no change to the original shadow and the new string of dots.

Both crops are 100%, shot at f22. Camera was ordered online in Japan, delivered October 29th, Serial number 3829###.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #324
Veteran Member

Well it seems I have some too, #38304xx. Couldn't clean them (sensor shake, O-ICK1, swabs.)
It doesn't look so bad, unlike some big trails I've seen in this topic, but it's at a quite bad location very close to the middle of the frame. I wonder what I should do: go to the store or give a call to Pentax France?

Last edited by PhilippeG; 12-14-2010 at 03:14 PM.
12-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #325

No stains here
12-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndyNick Quote
I think I have a different situation to most, having developed the stain after some heavy use.

The first attachment below was taken on December 6th and I found a very slight shadow that resembled the reported stain, but wasn't anything to worry about in my regular use. You may be able to make it out about a third the way down, two-thirds across. Thinking it was dust my blower and the Dust Removal couldn't shake off, I ordered the O-ICK1 cleaning kit. Before it arrived I had a party to photograph on the weekend and shot off over 500 pictures in a little under three hours. Checking the sensor again on Monday, found the string of dots close to the shadow, obvious in the second attachment below. I've used the blower, run the Dust Removal again, and stuck the O-ICK1 in there to clean as best I could - with no change to the original shadow and the new string of dots.

Both crops are 100%, shot at f22. Camera was ordered online in Japan, delivered October 29th, Serial number 3829###.
AndyNick has kindly asked my opinion on his case. I'll try my best

First and most interestingly, this is the first significant report I see that a string of pearls may develop in the field. If it can be confirmed, it puts the cover glass imperfection explaination at doubt. So, extra care must be applied in this case.

ATM, I'm not sure what I see. It looks like a string of pearls. But the individual stains seem to be a bit soft (no clear halo) for the typical stain we know, at f/22.

The slight shadow is nice as it does allow to compare the scale and position of the two crops. In itself of course, it is nothing.

I think we need some more tests.
Andy, can you shoot additional tests at f/11 16 22 32 and ideally a f/32 with a macro at closest distance. Maybe even a pinhole shot? I'd like to be sure w're not seeing a strange alien visiting the top of the AA filter

If it can be confirmed, Pentax should be made aware of this particular case.

There is theoretical chance of course, that the cover glass imperfection develops after mechanical tension due to heat. If this is the case, one should do the string of pearls test after a first video session until temperature warning. When I first searched and found MY stains, I already happened to use video this long. However, further tests did NOT agravate the issue anymore. So, I have one more question:

Andy, when you did the first photo w/o the new string, did you use video or LV for more than a few trials before?
12-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #327

Anyone know how Pentax dispose of their returns?

I for one will be eagerly awaiting the re-sale of the 'faulty' K-5's.

Bring them on!

trublubiker
12-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stains from about F8 to F22

Disapointed they visible at F8, I use this apature quite often, F22 not so much. How has Pentax been dealing with the issue? I am curious if anyone from the sony or nikon camps have had the same problem or if this is a pentax QC issue?

SN 3820884

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
AndyNick has kindly asked my opinion on his case. I'll try my best

First and most interestingly, this is the first significant report I see that a string of pearls may develop in the field. If it can be confirmed, it puts the cover glass imperfection explaination at doubt. So, extra care must be applied in this case.

ATM, I'm not sure what I see. It looks like a string of pearls. But the individual stains seem to be a bit soft (no clear halo) for the typical stain we know, at f/22.

The slight shadow is nice as it does allow to compare the scale and position of the two crops. In itself of course, it is nothing.

I think we need some more tests.
Andy, can you shoot additional tests at f/11 16 22 32 and ideally a f/32 with a macro at closest distance. Maybe even a pinhole shot? I'd like to be sure w're not seeing a strange alien visiting the top of the AA filter

If it can be confirmed, Pentax should be made aware of this particular case.

There is theoretical chance of course, that the cover glass imperfection develops after mechanical tension due to heat. If this is the case, one should do the string of pearls test after a first video session until temperature warning. When I first searched and found MY stains, I already happened to use video this long. However, further tests did NOT agravate the issue anymore. So, I have one more question:

Andy, when you did the first photo w/o the new string, did you use video or LV for more than a few trials before?
12-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
Anyone know how Pentax dispose of their returns?

I for one will be eagerly awaiting the re-sale of the 'faulty' K-5's.
They'll most likely get repaired (if deemed economical, and they should be), repackaged and distributed to dealers who want to handle them as Refurbished models for onsell to the public at a small but still appealing discount.
Also warranty is sometimes not equal to full, ie. that of a new product, but still very adequate for credible mfgr coverage assurance. Nothing to fear, just remember to confirm before you part with your hard earned money.

Keep eyes peeled on Adorama and B&H because they often have small batches of Canon, Nikon, etc., refurb models listed for sale among the usual options.
Don't expect many in stock at a time though so don't hesitate when available, because they usually fly off shelves pretty quick.

It's unlikely that many (if any) smaller sleazy dealers would get hold of them and try to sell as "New" cameras, because after all they're fully serialed and traceable, also such behaviour would meet very stiff reprimand on the business relationship from Pentax (of a permanent and costly nature).

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-14-2010 at 10:45 PM.
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #330
Veteran Member

Been at Simon's tonight... since they don't have any stock, the only option is to send the camera to Pentax, which is ~30days give or take... And I can't return it due to Pentax policy on defective items... It's not Best Buy after all.... so fu@k it! Gonna wait till after holidays before sending it in... and as far as Simon's goes... after buying 2X D300s and 1X K5 in less than a year, getting that kind of a service.... they will never see me again for anything else than warranty claims... I am really anxious to see what Penax Japan and Pentax Canada will come up with....
Closed Thread