Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ml320x5 Quote
I think I do but not as worst as others...I think. Please comment. S/N 3823788
Circular with a halo and dark center: looks like a stain under the glass surface to me (?).

12-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #377

Pictures of my sensor stainage

Here's pictures of the stains I've got on my K-5 (SN 3824127). One test on white, and then a landscape photo where you can still see them. It's pretty bad, since there's actually two strings, and I'm seeing them in a number of my pictures.

I'm getting impatient as I emailed Pentax customer support and never got a response, and when I called them they told me not to return it to Adorama and to wait until they called me back which was almost two weeks ago.

12-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #378
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by breadwig Quote
Here's pictures of the stains I've got on my K-5 (SN 3824127)...
Uh-oh ... seems like the worst case seen here so far :-I
12-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #379
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by breadwig Quote
Here's pictures of the stains I've got on my K-5 (SN 3824127). One test on white, and then a landscape photo where you can still see them. It's pretty bad, since there's actually two strings, and I'm seeing them in a number of my pictures.
Holy crappers man, are you sure that first pic isn't one of those mad scientist electro-microscope captures of the bacteria of some newly discovered disease?

Frightening stuff! Don't unleash it on humanity will you.

.R.

12-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #380

Ha, yeah, it's really bad. It does feel like my camera is infected.

I wish they'd get back to me I think I'll try calling again today.

Breadwig Photography
12-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #381

Waiting for 3rd attempt

I just sent back my second K-5. First one with S/N 3942xxx has a sensor mark, and then the replacement, S/N 3876xxx was way worse. I just want a clean camera so I can start enjoying it!
12-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #382

Sensor is stained. Camera purchased through Amazon Germany a week ago. Have contacted Pentax through their web site last night and asked them to suggest best way forward. I'd assume just sending the camera back to Amazon for replacement will quite likely get me yet another stained one. So I'd tend to send in to Pentax warranty service. Will keep you posted what they suggest.

Cheers,
J.

(K5, 21/3.2, 100/2.8WR, 18-55WR)

12-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #383
Inactive Account

s/n 3913xxx is clear
12-22-2010, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #384
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndyNick Quote
What do you think? Has something alien taken up residence on my sensor and can't be evicted with the sensor cleaner? Or is it a sign of the string appearing after some heated usage? Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
it will be early next week as I'm too busy right now.
Ok, I now had a closer look.

The numerical evaluation wasn't exactly as precise as in the earlier case. I looked at a smaller and a larger stain in particular, at various f-stops.

The smaller stain (lower left) seems to be about 30-50µm and from the sensor cover glass. The larger stain (upper right) seems to be about 40-60µm and from anywhere below the AA filter (there's some variation but cover glass is a good possibility too).

The stains seem to have minimal optical properties, e.g., arent't exact dark disks. But they are similiar enough that I call them samples of the string of pearls. The differences are within the variations we've seen so far from other cameras with the same effect too.

So, we have one confirmed case where the string of pearls developped after the camera shipped.

I leave it to the forum to decide if Pentax should be informed about...
12-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #385
Veteran Member

I've discovered stains on my sensor...anyone know the turn-around time in Canada from the Mississauga office? I'm delivering my body in person.
12-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #386
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I've discovered stains on my sensor...anyone know the turn-around time in Canada from the Mississauga office? I'm delivering my body in person.
I sent them an email and left a phone message over a week ago and still haven't received an answer or even acknowledgement that they received my email (which I requested)

Good luck getting *any* service from Pentax Canada...

Pat
12-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #387

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I sent them an email and left a phone message over a week ago and still haven't received an answer or even acknowledgement that they received my email (which I requested)

Pat
I emailed Pentax Canada directly (in addition to using their web form) and I did receive this reply after about a week

We regret that you are experiencing a problem with your K5 camera. If the Camera was purchased from an authorised Canadian Retailer, then, the quickest solution would be to send it directly to us at:

Pentax Canada
Attn Service Dept
1770 Argentia Rd
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 3S7

As you have already been in contact with us, please feel free to send the camera in after Christmas.

While we are aware that there is a possible sensor problem and we have attempted to identify all defective units we can never be 100%. Having said that please be assured should you find your camera has a staining issue it would be resolved to your satisfaction. Pentax Canada will be replacing the K-5 camera until a fix is provided by Japan. However, without seeing the camera (or images of the sensor), it is hard to determine if it is a staining issue with the sensor.

I also emailed The Camera Store to see if they had any advice about speeding up the process with Pentax, but apart from an initial reply that I would hear back from Sales, they have not replied to 2 requests over 3 weeks.
12-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #388
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

Pat
Really? I spoke with a woman on the phone who was very helpful. At least testing is simple and replacement should be quick...I'm hoping for turn around in a week or so.
12-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #389

If this is a hardware fault, there should be a massive replacement for Pentax/Hoya. However, if they can issue a Firmware update with a little PS build-in. After taking 2 shot at f22 on a white screen, the firmware is able to detect where is the stains then apply "spot removal" for every single picture it take!
12-23-2010, 02:01 AM   #390
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well Ive been and bought mine....Ill check for spotting soon
Closed Thread