Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #391
ksm

3919753 no stains
btw Pentax Belgium are checking each camera before sending to stores. Also I have able to check the camera myself before buying.

12-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #392
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If yours has a stain, but the serial number in our serial database, and mark it as damaged: Pentax K-5 Serials - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2010, 02:27 AM   #393

View Picture EXIF
Name:  Stain.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  62.8 KB

100% crop from the center of the image @ f = 22, not processed in any way.

It's not quite what some here call "string of pearls", but only one such a stain is bad enough for me to not accept that.
12-23-2010, 02:42 AM   #394
Veteran Member

Serial No
3953xxx

purchased in Australia

No stains :}

12-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #395
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If yours has a stain, but the serial number in our serial database, and mark it as damaged: Pentax K-5 Serials - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
Why should one do so?
I recommend not to do so.
Stained cameras are replaced by Pentax, not resold by the dealer. And there is no pattern with serial numbers, except that Pentax now checks units and therefore, 39* numbers are less likely affected.

This thread is a perfect place to report the individual luck with stains.
12-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #396
Veteran Member

my replacement seems perfect, and it has a previous serial number than my original one. i believe if there's a pattern only pentax is able to sort it out. seeing as they have been checking cameras by hand and updating the firmware, i doubt they had such an epiphany. the cameras are not damaged, they are perfectly usable and happen to have a manufacturing flaw which pentax will probably fix in the factory. they can also easily re-write the serial number if they wish, i'm sure. thinking that dealers will be as stupid as to try and resell these, seeing how much noise and trouble this has caused so far, is ridiculous imho. so, indeed, why?
12-23-2010, 03:49 AM   #397

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, we have one confirmed case where the string of pearls developped after the camera shipped.
Falconeye, Could your analysis of AndyNick’s images possibly be the first confirmation of your earlier concerns “The most worrysome possibility is particles evaporating from a hot ceramic package (condensing on the inner side of the cover glass).”Falconeye - Advanced stainology…. or do you have another hypothesis as to how the string of pearls may have developed after the camera was shipped in AndyNicks case.

Last edited by 2form; 12-23-2010 at 05:08 AM. Reason: qoute
12-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #398
Aon
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aon Quote
Yes, one line near the center. Starting to get noticeable around f/11. The test shot below is f/22 though.

#3849...
QuoteOriginally posted by Aon Quote
I asked my service center about this. They said that Pentax has acknowledged that some cameras have this problem. The guy told me that i can send my camera to them. They will check if it's normal dust (in which case i'll have to pay for the cleaning) or whether it's the case we're talking about here (in this case it goes under warranty and they'll ask Pentax what to do about it).

Got confirmation that those stains of mine were the real deal. The service center sent me a brand new k-5, i picked it up yesterday. Seems that everything is in order now, can't see any sign of the stains. Tested against white wall and an lcd screen at f22. The new serial is 3959***.
12-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #399
Inactive Account

Really

F32 at 400%----Really!
12-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #400

The stains seem to have minimal optical properties, e.g., arent't exact dark disks. But they are similiar enough that I call them samples of the string of pearls. The differences are within the variations we've seen so far from other cameras with the same effect too.

So, we have one confirmed case where the string of pearls developped after the camera shipped.

I leave it to the forum to decide if Pentax should be informed about...
Falk,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. It may be a cause for concern for those who have already received replacements if the problem can occur after use, and very interesting to see if the issue has been fully resolved with bodies with later serial numbers.

I need the camera over the holiday season, and am pretty busy at the moment so I won't be in touch with Pentax about a fix or replacement until early in the new year. I'm inclined to wait a bit longer until there is a definitive statement about the cause from Pentax, rather than potentially playing roulette with replacements, but will send off a message to them about this particular case.
12-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #401
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
I emailed Pentax Canada directly (in addition to using their web form) and I did receive this reply after about a week
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Really? I spoke with a woman on the phone who was very helpful.
The funny thing is that the first webform email I sent out 2 weeks ago ended up at Pentax USA, and they kindly answered me (advising me to write to Pentax Canada). The funny thing is that I used the Pentax.ca website (and I know this for sure as I took a screen capture before submitting the email) so there may be a bug in their webform.

I re-sent my original email to Pentax Canada last week using 2 different webforms, and called (only to be transfered to a voice mail box where I left a message).

I understand it's the holidays so getting a reply may take time so I'll be calling Pentax Canada again next week if I haven't received a reply by then. I figure 2 weeks for a call back or a simple "yes we got your email" is more than reasonable.

If I can't get a reply then I'll take a few minutes to send registered mail to Mr. Sealy the VP of Imaging at Pentax Canada and let him know I am not terribly impressed with his company's (lack of) customer service.

If it wasn't so darn far I'd drive up and go see these people in person...

Pat
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #402
Pentaxian

Why should one do so?
I recommend not to do so.
Stained cameras are replaced by Pentax, not resold by the dealer. And there is no pattern with serial numbers, except that Pentax now checks units and therefore, 39* numbers are less likely affected.

This thread is a perfect place to report the individual luck with stains.
I agree the database would not be good, as Falcon mentioned. No one would ever be able to sell it in the future after repair.
12-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #403
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I agree the database would not be good, as Falcon mentioned. No one would ever be able to sell it in the future after repair.
It may not be a bad idea, it would allow someone who buys a refurb to check what the initial problem with the camera was and if the sensor was changed.

Pat
12-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #404
Veteran Member

yep..and if someone buys a refurb cheap..cause its a refurb..at least if its sold in the market place down the track , the new buyer will know it was a refurb and get it a tad cheaper Id hope !
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #405

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
The funny thing is that the first webform email I sent out 2 weeks ago ended up at Pentax USA, and they kindly answered me (advising me to write to Pentax Canada). The funny thing is that I used the Pentax.ca website (and I know this for sure as I took a screen capture before submitting the email) so there may be a bug in their webform.

I re-sent my original email to Pentax Canada last week using 2 different webforms, and called (only to be transfered to a voice mail box where I left a message).

Pat
My first email via Pentaxcanada.ca's webform generated a reply from Pentax USA. This website International Service Network (America) : Support & Service : PENTAX lists the email address service@pentaxcanada.ca. That's the one that got me a reply from Mississauga.
Closed Thread