Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is your K5d sensor stained?
YES - There are stains on my sensor 19356.43%
NO - My sensor has no stains 14943.57%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #526
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Well, I am sorry for both of you, especially for Pentax, just wondering those lines will evolve to string of pearls in coupla weeks, I've heard such stains appear after a week or so.
As Falk Lumo mentioned in another thread, since the defects are purportedly caused by a chemical that didn't fully evaporate during the sensor packaging process, it might be worthwhile trying to warm up the sensor and then let it cool down to speed up the process of the stains manifesting themselves. That's a good way to determine if the sensor is defective or not.

Try taking a super-long movie. Eventually a temperature gauge will show up on the screen to let you know that the sensor is heating up. The camera won't let the sensor overheat, it'll turn itself off long before the heat gets high enough to damage anything. The movie recording will stop either when you reach 4GB file size or the sensor gets too hot. Let the camera cool completely after taking the movie. Then do another test to check for stains.

01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #527
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I am sorry for both of you, especially for Pentax, just wondering those lines will evolve to string of pearls in coupla weeks, I've heard such stains appear after a week or so.
I suppose shooting some video which would get the sensor warm would do that. It seems the stains are the result of some liquid (solvent?) between the filter glasses evaporating and leaving a residue (= stain). Those blobs *could* be that stuff the stains are made of waiting to evaporate.
01-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #528
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by breadwig Quote
Are people sending in the camera body with the battery, or without?
Pentax wants the camera body with nothing included. No battery, no memory card, no lens, no strap. I even removed the hot shoe cover. All I left on there was the lens mount cover that came with the camera.
01-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #529
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I suppose shooting some video which would get the sensor warm would do that. It seems the stains are the result of some liquid (solvent?) between the filter glasses evaporating and leaving a residue (= stain). Those blobs *could* be that stuff the stains are made of waiting to evaporate.
A completely unnecessary idea: I wouldnt use the camera without lens for coupla weeks and let the solvent dry out very slowly as much as possible then, instead of sudden evaporation and shrink of the chemicals with the sensor heat.

01-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #530
Veteran Member

I've correlated the progression of the stain on my camera with video use.

In my early photos, I simply cannot find the stain at all, even at f/20, looking exactly at the spot. The critical point was when I did about 30 minutes worth of video in one day at the end of November. Shortly after, I did the test and found the stains, and could then identify the stains at small apertures in my photos.

A couple weeks ago, I again took about 15 minutes worth of video. When I checked the sensor again, I found two things: the previous stains had gotten worse in appearance, becoming darker and more apparent. Also, a few more spots started appearing.

It's definitely related to sensor heat, and 15-30 minutes of video should bring out the stain/residue if you have it on your sensor.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-06-2011 at 04:58 PM.
01-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #531
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A completely unnecessary idea: I wouldnt use the camera without lens for coupla weeks and let the solvent dry out very slowly as much as possible then, instead of sudden evaporation and shrink of the chemicals with the sensor heat.
Oh, my point was getting to know whether the camera is in fact stained (which would mean another replacement, I assume). Having the liquid to evaporate slowly would probably still leave stain(s).
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #532
Banned

That makes no sense.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 01-06-2011 at 04:56 PM.
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #533

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I've correlated the progression of the stain on my camera with video use.

In my early photos, I simply cannot find the stain at all in my photos, even at f/20, looking exactly at the spot. The critical point was when I did about 30 minutes worth of video in one day at the end of November. Shortly after, I did the test and found the stains, and could then identify the stains at small apertures in my photos.

A couple weeks ago, I again took about 15 minutes worth of video. When I checked the sensor again, I found two things: the previous stains had gotten worse in appearance, becoming darker and more apparent. Also, a few more spots started appearing.

It's definitely related to sensor heat, and 15-30 minutes of video should bring out the stain/residue if you have it on your sensor.
I received my camera in late Sept. checked for "string of pearls" on 12/7/11 at f32 and it was clear. Checked on 1/2/11 and they were there. Can see same spot on prior picts and they weren't there. I haven't shot any video during that time (actually hardly any at all) although have used the camera a lot. During that time I did use it a lot outside (in Minnesota with 0 degree F being an average temp).

No conclusions. Just reporting experience. Not sure if temperature fluctuations were trigger or just time.
01-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #534
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I received my camera in late Sept. checked for "string of pearls" on 12/7/11 at f32 and it was clear. Checked on 1/2/11 and they were there. Can see same spot on prior picts and they weren't there. I haven't shot any video during that time (actually hardly any at all) although have used the camera a lot. During that time I did use it a lot outside (in Minnesota with 0 degree F being an average temp).
Live View is another big heat-generating feature. It's not just video. I used Live View extensively when taking test shots to check for the stains. The more I checked, the more stains appeared.
01-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #535
Forum Member

For those of you whose cameras have developed the stain after a few weeks of use, how many shutter actuations has it taken for your cameras to develop the stains?
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #536
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 31 Limited Quote
For those of you whose cameras have developed the stain after a few weeks of use, how many shutter actuations has it taken for your cameras to develop the stains?
as was stated above, it has nothing to do with shutter actuations.
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #537
Veteran Member

Interesting points about video. I was sure I had a small spot originally in early December. I have a shot about 1/2 to and hour of video from around 11/24/10 until today let's say and have over 1k pictures taken. Could be something could be nothing. Either way mine will go back. Still no email from Pentax as I was promised in my chat with Pentax USA online. Will wait until tomorrow if no email
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #538
Veteran Member

Just did the test, and there's a line of spots just above the center of the sensor. I've contacted the store I got my camera from, and it will be replaced once they receive more stock, probably at the end of the month.

Having said that, they're not noticeable (yet) in any normal photos, so I'm more than happy to just keep using the camera until then, because it's a great camera.
01-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #539
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Having said that, they're not noticeable (yet) in any normal photos, so I'm more than happy to just keep using the camera until then, because it's a great camera.
How about this:
When the problem gets worse in a few weeks, and you can no longer tolerate the fact that your $1600 investment is showing stains on your best pictures, will you be more likely to consider having the camera fixed/replaced under warranty? What if that's exactly during a period when you need the camera the most? Is that really the best time to be sending it away for weeks?
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #540

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Live View is another big heat-generating feature. It's not just video. I used Live View extensively when taking test shots to check for the stains. The more I checked, the more stains appeared.
I'm not a live view user either. Just viewfinder. But they still appeared....
Closed Thread