Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
That is unacceptable. I assume you're initiating a replacement?
I remembered this picture as an illustration for obnoxious smudges visible in "real" pictures as requested by the OP, but fortunately the camera isn't mine.

Thanks for the concern, anyway

12-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
wll
Veteran Member

For me, that camera would be going back so fast it would never touch the ground, that shows up bigtime !

wll

QuoteOriginally posted by Rainer Dynszis Quote
While no "SOP" in the narrower sense, these here are supposedly stains that are impossible to get rid off. Doesn't look like dust to me either.
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rainer Dynszis Quote
I remembered this picture as an illustration for obnoxious smudges visible in "real" pictures as requested by the OP, but fortunately the camera isn't mine.

Thanks for the concern, anyway
I'm chatting with the owner of said camera on Flickr:

Flickr: Discussing Dirty sensor! in Pentax K-5 Fan Club

This is not a string-of-pearls example, but it is a real world issue. Sounds like it is being handled under warranty.
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
wll
Veteran Member

Yes, I agree !

BTW How is the DS working out ;- )

wll

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
You are right though some have reported it being visible at f11, the exception is macro photography where you tend to stop down to f22 or more in order to get better DOF. These tend to be a bit specialized in nature and the subjects tend to have a lot of contrast and detail which may mask the problem.

I am guessing if you took a light colored flower picture at these apertures they would show up.

The issue is though having spent $1500 on a camera do you expect it to have non cleanable dust sandwiched in the sensor array? I don't.

12-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
I keep hearing how the "string of pearls" stain will be visible and problematic in real-life macro photography, but no-one has yet posted an example.

What gives?
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I keep hearing how the "string of pearls" stain will be visible and problematic in real-life macro photography, but no-one has yet posted an example.

What gives?
  1. For most of us today (12/7/10) is the first time we have heard of this.
  2. There aren't a lot of K-5s out there
  3. There are even less K-5 owners willing or have time or some other reason not to do macro
Why are you expecting a huge amount of evidence after only one day?

NaCl(sheesh!)H2O
12-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
  1. For most of us today (12/7/10) is the first time we have heard of this.
  2. There aren't a lot of K-5s out there
  3. There are even less K-5 owners willing or have time or some other reason not to do macro
Why are you expecting a huge amount of evidence after only one day?

NaCl(sheesh!)H2O
It will be interesting to see what photos show up here over the next week or so. Hopefully it will help afflicted owners what situations they are likely to see the problem appear in...

12-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm in the market for a K-5 (or Panny GH-2, but that's another story) and want to get a sense for how the "string of pearls" stains is affecting photos.

No test shots please - there are other threads for that.

Real videos (not test videos) demonstrating the impact of the "string of pearl" stains appreciated as well.

Thanks.
As requested. All shots with DA 12-24mm (no, it's not the lens. Also shows up with my others). All shots at 12mm, f22, ISO 80-100 Bright, sunny day. I could have gone to larger aperture to make the 'string of pearls' vanish, but thought - why? I may not need that option, but I did pay for it.

Based on these shots, I have decided that I will send the camera for replacement. I was undecided up til now. The flaw is much more apparent in the original, full-size images.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayBee; 01-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
12-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

That is indeed the SOP.

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
As requested. All shots with DA 12-24mm (no, it's not the lens. Also shows up with my others). All shots at 12mm, f22, ISO 80-100 Bright, sunny day. I could have gone to larger aperture to make the 'string of pearls' vanish, but thought - why? I may not need that option, but I did pay for it.

Based on these shots, I have decided that I will send the camera for replacement. I was undecided up til now. The flaw is much more apparent in the original, full-size images.
12-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing JayBee.
12-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
What are you talking about? That's a UFO, not a stain on your sensor!

Oh, and Saltwater, has it really only been 1 day?!?! It seems like forever! Ok, i'll be patient.
12-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #27
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thx for sharing JayBee.
12-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I am guessing if you took a light colored flower picture at these apertures they would show up.
They do show up. This is exactly how I discovered it, it appeared in all of my flower macro shots. I'll check at home if I still have the pics, I didn't bother to develop them (and deleted most).
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Ok, not so good shots, but this is what I've found with a quick search. Cropped the center of the frame where the 2 rows of stain spots are (the bottom row is stronger and easier to notice). Each pic shows a downsized to 33% size crop of the center and the same crop in 100%.
First pic, second pic.

On white petal macro shots the spot rows were so disturbing that I deleted the pics. At that time I though it was just some weird pattern of normal dust that I would blow off later and re-take shots...
12-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #30

Mine's got it too. Pentax Canada hasn't gotten back to me yet, but my retailer will help me out if Pentax doesn't step up. Here is a shot with the "pearls" visible plus a crop. Their above the branch hanging over the mountain. Can't figure out how to add arrows.
Attached Images