Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
No one knows FOR SURE what the problem really is
That was my point. You stated otherwise. I only kindly asked you not to spread unreliable information as factual.

If you think my post is arrogant, then I apologize. Personally, I welcome if somebody else finds a flaw in an argument I make as I'm always curious to learn something new. Or at least, I try.

12-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteQuote:
That was my point. You stated otherwise. I only kindly asked you not to spread unreliable information as factual.
I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth to try and strengthen your position.

Nowhere did I ever say I knew what the problem with the K5's sensor was. Nowhere. Nor did I ever offer any speculation on the matter. Ever. I don't have a clue what causes it. None. Nor do I really care unless continued use of the camera in any of the available functions causes it to appear or get worse. Only time will tell, and people are entitled to their opinions, and have the right to express their concerns as well as what they see happening with their own cameras. No one should tell them they are wrong and chastise them for posting anything unless they have stepped over the line of civility.

At this point no one knows what is going to happen in 12 months of hard use with the K5. Could the stains appear in 6 months on a camera that was at first clean? In 13 months after it is out of warranty? Is this going to be a repeat of the SDM fiasco? The bottom line is, no one knows. It's all speculation at this point unless Pentax makes an official statement. However, given Hoya's history of being less than forthcoming when issues with Pentax cameras or lens happen, the best information we can ever hope to get is from user feedback in this forum.

Once again, I appreciate your contributions, applaud your work testing, and defer to your knowledge. I object to your attempts to stifle and censor others views,observations and assumptions. If you want to take the time to point out the error of their ways through thoughtful debate, kudos to you. If you want to tell them to shut up and not post, then shame on you.
12-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth to try and strengthen your position.
Nowhere did I ever say I knew what the problem with the K5's sensor was.
AGWoodard, you're right. My mistake. Pls accept my apologies.

The claim was made by hc98dcyl who is the OP of this thread too.
You responded and I didn't take notice. Sorry again.

I object to your attempts to stifle and censor others views, observations and assumptions.
That's not what I do. I wouldn't be able to anyway. But I don't even try. An open mind comes first.

However, I call a spade a spade.

Also, I can get upset or impatient if people post plain nonsense (not directed at you!).
Sorry, if this is not always politically correct.

Last edited by falconeye; 12-13-2010 at 07:21 AM.
12-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Sorry, if this is not always politically correct.
I'm a big boy, I can take it. Apologies accepted. You have done a great service to the Pentax community.

When the K5 was announced, I debated long and hard over a 5dMkII and the K5. I finally made up my mind but had to delay my purchase at the end of October because I had to buy a new truck. Then the weekend before last I had decided to go down to Hunts Photo and finally get my new K5. I woke up Monday to the original thread on the stain issue and it's been a really tough nut to swallow. I'm back to being undecided again. This is, really, a heartbreaking situation for me. I love my Pentax gear, but I loath Hoya and the way they have killed this company.

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday

12-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #20

Also waiting for a resolution!

Yep, I'm in the same boat - delaying my K-5 decision until I feel confident that the problem has been identified and solved. Also not sure we'll ever be told from an official source from Pentax Japan.

I am hopeful that the new report (rumor?) of a filter glass defect is true as that will be easy to detect and fix.

Mike
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
Yep, I'm in the same boat - delaying my K-5 decision until I feel confident that the problem has been identified and solved. Also not sure we'll ever be told from an official source from Pentax Japan.

I am hopeful that the new report (rumor?) of a filter glass defect is true as that will be easy to detect and fix.

Mike
Why ? I got a "stained" K5 and had no difficulties to get a replacement within less than one week. Looks like recent shippings are stained free now
12-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Why ? I got a "stained" K5 and had no difficulties to get a replacement within less than one week. Looks like recent shippings are stained free now
Yes, but thats because Pentax Europe seems well organised. Here is Canada Pentax is a bit different.

I emailed Pentax Canada last week and still have not received an answer or even confirmation that they got my email (and I specifically requested confirmation). I'm not about to send them a camera when I don't even know what their plan of action is.

Pat
09-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by hc98dcyl Quote
Is K5's stain repair-able?
Adam suggested I share my experience on the stain/repair/k-5 issue.

I own two K-5s. I travel a fair amount so I was worried I might have a failure. Four months after my first, I ordered a second. While waiting for the arrival of my second, I noticed the "string of pearls" stain. It may have been there from the beginning, but I do not believe so. I called Pentax. Got a RA. Sent this first one to them for repair. After two-three weeks I sent an email to Pentax. They replied they were replacing my K-5 and I would receive the replacement on a date certain

I received the replacement precisely when Pentax said I would. I was surprised, when I went to log the S/N on this forum, to find it was previously returned to B&H as having a stained sensor. Not only has this replacement worked flawlessly, through about 1000 images the past month, but Pentax removed my Katzeye, and the special finder from my damaged K-5 and put them both on the replacement. I know Pentax tells you to remove this aftermarket stuff, but I corresponded with them telling them I was worried about my skill level to remove these two tweaks.

The point here is that Pentax can either repair the stained sensor, or the camera sent to me as a replacement was not stained originally.

So I'm sharing this with you because I believe Pentax does, and can either repair, or replace, the stained sensors.

Last edited by Riebs; 09-05-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typos
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Old thread resurrected alert... sensor stain issue has been resolved
09-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #25
Banned

So you bought a new camera, it was defective, you sent it in for repairs, and Pentax sent you a refurbished/used camera?

Did they give you a refund for the price difference between a new K5 and a refurbished one? Because in the end, that's what you ultimately bought, for the full price of a new K5.
09-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #26

So you bought a new camera, it was defective, you sent it in for repairs, and Pentax sent you a refurbished/used camera?

Did they give you a refund for the price difference between a new K5 and a refurbished one? Because in the end, that's what you ultimately bought, for the full price of a new K5.
I guess that is one way of looking at it. The camera I received in exchange was not new, it was refurbished. However,it was the same age as the defective camera, it looks Very new, and it works beautifully. I'm happy...and I gues I'm easy.
09-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the thread is resurrected, I'll quickly share my experience. I bought my K-5 in november 2010 and I got the stained sensor. Not really a big deal as you have to stop down a lot and have uniform backgrounds to see the "string of pearls". And my stains were in the middle of the frame. In the top of the frame would be more annoying (skies). So I waited a bit because it seemed widespread and Pentax didn't make an announcement yet. But I wanted it to be fixed because this is the kind of issue you want to avoid when reselling the camera. When Pentax announced they were aware of the issue I just came to my dealer and it was easy to explain the problem. Camera came back cleaned after 2 weeks from Pentax Canada.