Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #1

Is K5's stain repair-able?

As I have read many many post about the stain on the K5's AA filter or senor, I too have the same problem, so I am worrying.
The main point is, is the stain repair-able? as some user have send their K5 to service and the problem still exist(6-times), so, some people refund their camera, and some which can't get refund or replace are waiting for pentax's respond.
So, can you guys share your service story of your K5's, so, we understand and deicide go repair/sevice or not?

12-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
In service as we speak, the local store was very optimistic about removing the stains though, so i have to hope for the best. 2 weeks 6 days to go.
12-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
In service as we speak, the local store was very optimistic about removing the stains though, so i have to hope for the best. 2 weeks 6 days to go.
This seems doubtful, as the best information that we have right now suggests that the defects are not on the surface of the AA filter glass, where they can be easily removed. So, unless Pentax service replaces the AA filter or the entire sensor unit, it is unlikely to solve the problem. I suspect that Pentax is in crisis mode right now trying to figure out how to deal with this issue. Given the power of the internet to move units (or not), this is something that they cannot afford to ignore.

Rob
12-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #4

One way or another the problem can be corrected, the issue for Pentax is the most cost effective way to do that. That might depend to what extent the sensor and associated filters come assembled from Sony. If disassembly and cleaning is the easy way, they'll do that, if it's replacing the whole thing, they'll do that. If any of the problem is traceable back to Sony that will probably play a part somewhere.

12-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
One way or another the problem can be corrected, the issue for Pentax is the most cost effective way to do that. That might depend to what extent the sensor and associated filters come assembled from Sony. If disassembly and cleaning is the easy way, they'll do that, if it's replacing the whole thing, they'll do that. If any of the problem is traceable back to Sony that will probably play a part somewhere.
Yes, I'm sure that the problem can be solved. It's just a matter of when and how. If it turns out that Sony is at fault, they will no doubt have to bear at least some of the burden and expense.

Rob
12-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To get to the point where the stains are seems to be rather difficult.

The SR unit must be dismantled to do so.

Look at this video what it may mean...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119619-dismantling-k100d.html

The AA filter+IR filter assembly is the "cap" taken off the sensor after dismantling the SR unit in the video.
12-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
To be true, I guess the problem cause by the "heat" of the senor.
As we all know that these sony senor product a lot of heat, and it stop the video record if 8+ mins because of the overheat problem.
So, I hope that pentax do change or exchange the sony senor.
12-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #8

So as it seems, the initial optimism from my dealer was not justified. A new, inspected body is on it's way as a replacement for my previous stained body. Seems like it's not repairable.

12-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hc98dcyl Quote
To be true, I guess the problem cause by the "heat" of the senor. As we all know that these sony senor product a lot of heat, and it stop the video record if 8+ mins because of the overheat problem. So, I hope that pentax do change or exchange the sony senor.
I do not believe heat have anything to do with it. They show from photo #1 and do not increase after
12-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

To be true, I guess the problem cause by the "heat" of the senor.
As we all know that these sony senor product a lot of heat, and it stop the video record if 8+ mins because of the overheat problem.
So, I hope that pentax do change or exchange the sony senor.
I really hope the unsubstantiated claims that the issue would aggravate after heat or video would come to a halt. So far, I've only seen inconclusive examples with isolated stains which look more like ordinary dust than the problem we're discussing here.

Moreover, I've recorded video for 50 minutes without interruption except for the restart after each 4GB boundary. I only stopped after my 32 GB card was full.

So, there is no overheat problem or forced video recording termination.

I let the camera cool down a couple of hours (so, anything could condense if this is the problem).

I then scrutinized my camera (it has the string of pearls issue) for any change of the effect and couldn't find any.

As far as we all know, the string of pearls does not aggravate over time.

Please, stop spreading false or unreliable information.

QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
Seems like it's not repairable.
To get to the filter assembly involves dismantling the camera. That's much better done in the fab back in Japan and handled by replacement cameras. Also, after the recycling in the fab, the repaired cameras aren't all refurbs (assuming a low enough shutter count). But that doesn't mean it isn't repairable if that were the only option.
12-10-2010, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Please, stop spreading false or unreliable information.
No one knows FOR SURE what the problem really is, what it's caused by, or if anything will cause it to get worse over time until the Pentax engineers tell us, if ever.

While I will defer to your expertise, and accept your opinions based on your knowledge, I still think you are being a bit arrogant in claiming that because your test sample of one camera does not exhibit what others think they are seeing or may even be seeing or worrying about that they need to be chastised by you.

The bottom line right now is simply that no one knows what who when where or why. Even your test provide nothing more than an educated guess.

It will either work itself out or it wont. There is no need to beat each other up over it in the mean time.
12-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
To get to the filter assembly involves dismantling the camera. That's much better done in the fab back in Japan and handled by replacement cameras. Also, after the recycling in the fab, the repaired cameras aren't all refurbs (assuming a low enough shutter count). But that doesn't mean it isn't repairable if that were the only option.
Let me rephrase my previous statement. The stain issue isn't repairable by my local vendor.
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

agwoodard: you are missing the point i'm afraid: i think falk appeals to only state as fact what we know as fact. that's all he's saying. not that he's right and everybody is wrong. there's no arrogance there (though i wouldn't blame him, from time to time, if there was ). i agree with him. example:

"as we all know, the sony sensor has an overheating problem". huh? all who? falk was kind enough to debunk that random statement by doing a (torture) test using his own camera (bought with his own money, or in any case, that he loves like we love our own ).

i am with falk on this one and would kindly appeal to everybody to clearly specify (not just imply) if such a statement is verified (explain or refer through a link etc), or a simple random "thought", "assumption" etc. it's so easy to lose track of what is real and what's made up otherwise, and this matters specifically because user input (for achieving better sample sizes) is essential and valuable, as long as it's _accurate_, not made up.
12-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #14

I've read most of the posts about the k-5, good and bad and haven't seen this covered, so...

Could this be mold or fungus on the AA filter? Does it look at all like that?

I don't have any lenses to compare it with, but I've seen pictures of fungus, but don't have an opinion because I haven't seen it up close.

Thanks,

Snydly
12-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

As we all know that these sony senor product a lot of heat,
Citations please or it isn't true.