Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Getting a K5 that won't have to be immediately shipped off

I took advantage of B & H's forum to ask about any chances of purchasing a K5 that had already been checked. Chuck's reply was :

"We do not do any repair work. Items returned to us as defective go back to the manufacturer. Items requiring in warranty servicing are to be sent directly to an authorized service center.

I am sorry, we do not inspect items prior to shipping."

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/125112-policy-k5-sensors.html#post1294226

I would certainly buy from anyone who could offer this, but I understand why it's not likely to be found. It's one thing to have a tech dept and another to become an authorized servicer for a manufacturer.

Hopefully there will come a day in the not too far future when the K5s in stock will have this issue remedied.

12-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a pretty safe bet that by now Pentax is aware that somewhere in the manufacturing chain there has been a problem.
Whether they make a public announcement about it such as the one Canon just released on their $6500.00 camera that is oiling the sensor or if they just quietly fix the production problem is up to them.
At this point, I'm not sure if it's even known if this is a QC issue with Pentax or the sensor supplier (Sony).
It doesn't really matter, both companies are pretty responsible, if you are really concerned, wait a few months and then buy a camera from new stock.

Companies always have manufacturing issues from time to time. General Motors made a batch of crappy transmissions, Dodge made a bunch of Caravans that would eject the rear seat in a collision, Ford used tires that weren't suited to the vehicle they were installed on (Firestone took that hit even though Ford chose the tire and made bad recommendations regarding tire pressure).
Canon has a history of defects, ranging from AF problems to oil splashing the sensors with their top end cameras.
Product defects are part of life. This is why manufacturers have authorized dealers, return policies and warranties. If you get a defective product, be a grown up and deal with it the way adults deal with things:
Take it back to the store and verbally abuse the first clerk you see.
Going on an internet pogrom with Pentax isn't going to get you a camera with no quirks or bugs.
Nothing is going to guarantee that, and it doesn't matter which camera maker you choose to go with.
Stuff happens, just be glad it's a camera and not something that can kill you.
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote

I would certainly buy from anyone who could offer this, but I understand why it's not likely to be found. It's one thing to have a tech dept and another to become an authorized servicer for a manufacturer.

Hopefully there will come a day in the not too far future when the K5s in stock will have this issue remedied.

From what I understand, it would be all but impossible for this to happen. The only way a store can tell if the camera has this condition is to take pictures with it and process them. In my own situation, the problem didn't show up on the first few pictures I took, but is now there. Looking at the sensor with the naked eye doesn't show anything, at least on mine.

What may happen is Pentax will start swapping out bodies, send the problem ones in for repair and then have a "Refurbished" sale through one of their retailers at a later date. At least that's what I'm hoping for, as I would rather have a new body than a repaired one.
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Honestly I don't think it is worth worrying about - and my camera has it. I am even out of the store's return exchange period (bought from Provantage.com just over 5 weeks ago - 30 day return policy, not a massive retailer like amazon too) and Pentax is going to work to try and get me a replacement already after 4 phone calls (2 to Pentax and provantage - who is now going to contact their sales rep as Pentax CS instructed me to tell them). It also sounds like, without saying it, Pentax are aware and will do what they can to make it right. As an actual owner I don't see why they need to, and doubt they'll make any public comment. They will fix the problem though, and I can't expect any more from a company to be quite honest.

I had resigned myself to using the camera on our 10th anniversary and getting the warranty work done after the trip anyway (it is in 2 weeks, way too little time for repair). I am still in wait-and-see mode, but I don't see any reason why it won't work out at this point, and it sounds as though I could end up with a replacement by week's end.

12-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whether one agrees or not

This saga will be detrimental to Pentax sales going forward.

They just can't afford to have issues like this on a brand new release.
12-07-2010, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Whether one agrees or not

This saga will be detrimental to Pentax sales going forward.

They just can't afford to have issues like this on a brand new release.
If Pentax takes care of people and admits there is an issue and fixes it, I doubt there will be significant repercussions. The issue is when they pretend that there isn't a problem and make people jump through hoops to get repairs done. From what I have read in other pages, they are taking good care of their customers with replacement cameras, etc.

Sure, you would like there to be no problems, but it is important to know that if there are issues that Pentax will take care that they are fixed.
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are very lucky that B&H are on this forum to answer questions that they want to.

12-07-2010, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

If a retailer starts opening and testing product they leave themselves open to accusations of missing parts, damaged items and cycled returns (and heaven forbid the ghastly fingerprints).
12-07-2010, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
You are very lucky that B&H are on this forum to answer questions that they want to.
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If Pentax takes care of people and admits there is an issue and fixes it, I doubt there will be significant repercussions. The issue is when they pretend that there isn't a problem and make people jump through hoops to get repairs done. From what I have read in other pages, they are taking good care of their customers with replacement cameras, etc.

Sure, you would like there to be no problems, but it is important to know that if there are issues that Pentax will take care that they are fixed.
Exactly. I've made mistakes before on the job, but people accept that. It's what you do after that, that they remember you for.
12-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If a retailer starts opening and testing product they leave themselves open to accusations of missing parts, damaged items and cycled returns (and heaven forbid the ghastly fingerprints).
True of course, but who hasn't sent a camera in for repair and assumed it was going to be fixed and not missing parts? I've done it at PhotoTech (in NYC) and I was just thinking along the lines of if Pentax would work with their authorized repair centers to bring the faulty cameras up to spec by shipping them the parts it would be nice. In fact, I'm more confident that PhotoTech would do it right than the US Pentax center.

But it's early in the situation, and Pentax Japan is no doubt working overtime trying to figure it out, even if their distributors and subsidiaries can only keep their fingers crossed.
12-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Emjay, The Singapore official distro opened and tested my camera for me, found the problem and then refused to sell it to me :P (it was the last one)