Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Well my replacement body arrived a 4.15 PM and was packed up ready to return at 4.45. It was if anything worse than the first. The serial number was 3823822 which was earlier than the first one.

Abe's are hand selecting the latest serial number they have and are sending that on return.

If the third camera is the same I will I think give up on the K5 for now.

Pity it's a great camera, the spots on this new one are so bad you can see them just naked eyeballing the sensor.

12-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A response from Pentax

I am in contact with the General Manager (Aftersales Service) in the Pentax Europe headquarter (Paris).

He's a very cooperative person and it is a pleasure for me to be in contact with him.

He acknowledges the situation and apologizes for inconvenience this may cause to a customer.

Pentax Europe is prepared to replace any K-5 they receive from a customer which does indeed have the defect (e.g., string of pearls) by a camera which is "free of the problem".

In order to do so, they tested their European stock in the Brussels warehouse and this stock (now?) is "ok".

I am in contact to receive further information. E.g., if there are safe ranges of serial numbers etc. I also look forward for some kind of official communication.

But as it is, I think it is great news: Buy a K-5. It it has a real defect like the string of pearls defect, send to Pentax to receive one free of the defect.

I think, that's great customer service (in Europe at least) and Pentax is on a good track to resolve the issue. As they now test for it, the issue may soon be a thing of the past.

Let me add a personal comment:

I see quite a few images here which show just the occasional dust spot which is pretty normal and may even be cleanable. I.e., I see customers returning their K-5 which don't have a stain cluster or string of pearls defect. I don't know what Pentax will do if they receive a camera which is within specs.
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Falk confirmed from my file that there was dust between the sensor and an interior surface. I contacted Pentax by email with no response from them at all.
Call them. The e-mail support is hit-or-miss.

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Wow, I'm inpressed!

Which form did you use? The one in "Contact us" or the one in "Service & Support"?

Pat
It doesn't matter. From experience, they'll answer either one of these about a third of the time. When they do answer, it's usually prompt, polite, and helpful (in tone if not in substance). But the rest of the time, silence. (And I run my mail server, so I know it's not on my end.)
12-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am in contact with the General Manager (Aftersales Service) in the Pentax Europe headquarter (Paris).

He's a very cooperative person and it is a pleasure for me to be in contact with him.

He acknowledges the situation and apologizes for inconvenience this may cause to a customer.

Pentax Europe is prepared to replace any K-5 they receive from a customer which does indeed have the defect (e.g., string of pearls) by a camera which is "free of the problem".

In order to do so, they tested their European stock in the Brussels warehouse and this stock (now?) is "ok".

I am in contact to receive further information. E.g., if there are safe ranges of serial numbers etc. I also look forward for some kind of official communication.

But as it is, I think it is great news: Buy a K-5. It it has a real defect like the string of pearls defect, send to Pentax to receive one free of the defect.

I think, that's great customer service (in Europe at least) and Pentax is on a good track to resolve the issue. As they now test for it, the issue may soon be a thing of the past.

Let me add a personal comment:

I see quite a few images here which show just the occasional dust spot which is pretty normal and may even be cleanable. I.e., I see customers returning their K-5 which don't have a stain cluster or string of pearls defect. I don't know what Pentax will do if they receive a camera which is within specs.
Good news Falk. For those in Europe. Here I am playing camera roulette. Here is a pic from my second body on it's way back for replacement no 3 which the
retailers will not test or inspect prior to shipping.

Last edited by telfish; 01-30-2011 at 10:17 AM.
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Here is a pic from my second body on it's way back for replacement no 3 which the retailers will not test or inspect prior to shipping.
I've already send my inquiry about how to deal with retailers.

But if I'm not mistaken, Pentax Europe offers an option to bypass the retailer and get an exchange directly from them. I'm not sure yet though.

In any case, Ned needs to stop posting colorful images in his new blog and propose a similiar direct exchange service to their US customers.

P.S.
The good thing is: you have the string of pearls (a wonderful sample btw) out of the box without having heated the sensor in video first. So, the effect may be static and doesn't worsen over time. If we're lucky.
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #36
Veteran Member

From the replacement body, 3883xxx.

12-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

But if I'm not mistaken, Pentax Europe offers an option to bypass the retailer and get an exchange directly from them. I'm not sure yet though.

In any case, Ned needs to stop posting colorful images in his new blog and propose a similiar direct exchange service to their US customers.

P.S.
The good thing is: you have the string of pearls (a wonderful sample btw) out of the box without having heated the sensor in video first. So, the effect may be static and doesn't worsen over time. If we're lucky.
Thanks for the compliment That was the very first picture that camera had taken ( not sure if pentax test shoot now) So it had no video or long exposures on it. This shot just shows the central area, the pearls are all over this sensor most are opaque so they only show up at f32 but they are there. Like a rash.
12-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I run the statistic from the other . In case you dont see it , Yes there a trend, iT's better now with less severe string
SEE PDF file here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1296455-post246.html

12-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #39
Pentaxian

One point about serial # is that the serial # in not specific to the K-5, this mean in the stream of serial # this include the K-x, K-R, K-5. This mean , they have not sold 80,000 K-5 but 80,000 DSLR

EWith the Pentax serial Database , you can see this. You see also they still produce the K-X as we see serial # 3886xxx who is higher than some K-R#
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
One point about serial # is that the serial # in not specific to the K-5, this mean in the stream of serial # this include the K-x, K-R, K-5. This mean , they have not sold 80,000 K-5 but 80,000 DSLR

EWith the Pentax serial Database , you can see this. You see also they still produce the K-X as we see serial # 3886xxx who is higher than some K-R#
So, that means that the K-r could also be affected by this?
Are we going to see another "trend"?

JP

Off topic: can you send me a PM regarding your "Tamrom SP AF10-24 f3.5-4.5 DI II Wow!!"
12-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

P.S.
I underlined : "a similiar direct exchange service to their US customers" in your quote.
Would be nice if they also extended it to their Canadian customers ... well, ALL customers as a matter of fact.

JP
12-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, that means that the K-r could also be affected by this?
Are we going to see another "trend"?

JP
No
It's just that the serial # are not related to one type of DSLR. Probably all cameras from the same plant use the same serial sequence

The different model use different sensor
12-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

... snipped ....
Hm, then I hope they will send me a new K-5 very fast.
Last week I also wrote them a mail regarding this issue and how we could solve it without the usual 3-4 weeks waiting. They simply forwarded my mail to the local authorized repair shop (which is quite famous, but not in a positive way), which contacted me in email and assured me that it will be a fast and easy process to get a replacement if my cam is indeed faulty. Guess what, it isn't - somebody lied. I visited the repair shop and was told that they need to send the cam to the central repair center (in Germany or France, I don't remember) for inspection and it will probably take a few weeks to get it repaired. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid, waiting several weeks to exchange a faulty good is not acceptable. Unfortunately Pentax's customer support is non-existent, warranty service/repairs is a pathetic joke here. That's my real problem. I wouldn't mind the stain issue if there was acceptable customer support and repair service, and if I were treated like a customer.
12-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #44
Veteran Member

A response from Pentax II

[...]
I have more on the matter.

Pentax Europe does offer the exchange service. But at the same time, they decided to not make a big announcement about. So, my post probably is as official a message you're going to hear.

Between the lines I read that they fear that everybody would show up to replace the camera. Because almost every camera, every vendor, has a stain somewhere if scrutinized at f/22 or f/32. I share this fear. I might have solved this problem differently. But it's their business and I respect their decision.

So, there are no official instructions how to proceed.

My recommendation:

First, make sure you don't have just one or two isolated stains. And that stains are no dust cleanable spots. The uncleanable stains we are talking about have a clear dark center and light halo at f/22, separated by a hard contrast. If the stain looks soft, it is something else.

Second, wait a couple of days and call Pentax service, either in your country, or in Paris.

Insist that the problem must be dealt with by Pentax directly, not the local dealer or repair shop.

People should post their (positive) experience here so others can learn the best practise.

I am sorry that I can't contribute to the practise because my method isn't replicable.

People in other parts of the world should probably do the same. Ned may stay silent. But that doesn't mean that Pentax USA don't install a business process to care about while we "speak".
12-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Two more notes:

There is no known correlation between the issue and serial numbers. There are no safe or unsafe SNs.

The root cause of the problem is under examination. But my guess is QC may solve this for the future production anyway.