Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oddshot ... I just hope Pentax Canada will be as reliable as their American and European sisters.

Pat

12-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I won't shoot much in the way of Macros (where my "string of pearls" becomes too evident) until Spring, I'm tired of writing and reading about it.

Clicked the "CALL NOW" button on my Amazon account page. Explained that I ordered it in September, received it Oct 15 but need an exception to the 30 day rule due to factory defect that is admitted by vendor but not repairable at this time due to lack of parts. After sitting on hold for 3 min while she elevated the >$500 issue to supervisor, she told me exception granted, new one will be shipped withing 48 hrs, email with UPS label for return on the way.

Could not have been easier considering I was 25 days past the return cut. If the new one is clean I can leave all these stain threads behind. Amazon just went up a few notches in my book.
12-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #63
Veteran Member

VERY COOL ! Amazon just went up a few notches for me too

Amazing customer service !

Couple questions , do you have Amazon Prime membership ?

Did you buy K-5 from Amazon.com or thru one of their dealers ?

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Although I won't shoot much in the way of Macros (where my "string of pearls" becomes too evident) until Spring, I'm tired of writing and reading about it.

Clicked the "CALL NOW" button on my Amazon account page. Explained that I ordered it in September, received it Oct 15 but need an exception to the 30 day rule due to factory defect that is admitted by vendor but not repairable at this time due to lack of parts. After sitting on hold for 3 min while she elevated the >$500 issue to supervisor, she told me exception granted, new one will be shipped withing 48 hrs, email with UPS label for return on the way.

Could not have been easier considering I was 25 days past the return cut. If the new one is clean I can leave all these stain threads behind. Amazon just went up a few notches in my book.
12-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Amazing customer service !

Couple questions , do you have Amazon Prime membership ?

Did you buy K-5 from Amazon.com or thru one of their dealers ?
Bought from Amazon.com (if B&H had pre-orders in Sept. I would have gone there first though).

I have done little with Amazon in the past so I don't even know what the Prime memership is.

12-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oddshot Quote
Thanks JP for your comments and kudos... and as an addendum to my previous post:

Pentax just called me back from a message I left last night. This time Bob assured me Pentax is on it and will fix/replace any of the cameras afflicted with the stains and added that even if a user did not notice the stains until after the 1 year warranty, they would still make the repair at their expense.

I know that is all talk at this point, but all I can do is trust that they will do what they say... if not, I know I chose the wrong camera company.

But for me, so far the track record is good. I have no worries that Pentax is going to stiff me with a faulty camera.... it just may take a little time to get it resolved... no biggie.
Good for you Oddshot!

If Bob assured you that Pentax will take care of business, then it's a given!
You can always come back to haunt him with a quote from what he told you.

Now we know that Pentax Europe is taking care of things, so is now Pentax USA. I am hoping that Pentax Canada will oblige and follow suit.
Granted, Pentax Canada has never been known for its speedy customer's service but I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I have a response from them ... I have emailed and called a few times for the past few days ... no reply yet.

JP
12-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Oddshot ... I just hope Pentax Canada will be as reliable as their American and European sisters.

Pat
Pat, see my post reply to Oddshot below regarding Pentax Canada.

They are slow .... very slow.

JP
12-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #67

In England, we have very strong consumer protection laws. Any faulty item can be returned for a refund without quibble. Because of this, I am sure Pentax UK will be keen to retain customers with a repair/replacement.
12-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #68

Here is something to think on.
On my Flickr site there are two images. Sensor 1 id my brand new out of the box K-5. Sensor 2 id my nearly 9 months old K-7.

Both do not show any signs of dust in the Dust Alert function and both have been cleaned bt the vibration in camera system, yet both have similar blobs and smudges. My K-7 has more than the K-5 and I have been using it for months for competition A3 prints and 1400x1050 PDI competitions without ever being aware of a problem. The biggest blotch is about 8 pixels wide.

I don't think I have much to worry about really.

12-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
There is by now a huge amount of anxiety, anger and frustration over this issue, yet it appears that Pentax is trusting the rumor mill (i.e. the internet) to alleviate it. From a public relations point of veiw, they would do much better to issue an official statement on the subject, guaranteeing to repair or replace all affected units and to eliminate the production errors that caused the problem in the first place. Doing so would immediately restore confidence in the Pentax brand. Yes, it might mean more work and expense in the short run, but that would be a relatively small price to pay for maintaining a reputation as a company that produces high quality products and stands behind them.

I might add that the K-5 is still a new product, and there are not a huge number of units that have been sold worldwide to date. This is, of course, contrary to the impression that one gets from reading Pentax related forums. So dealing with returns or a recall would not involve as many cameras as one might think. Obviously, I don't have official numbers to go on, but that is my bet. Also, I wonder who will have to bear the burden/expense of the repairs--Pentax, Sony or another third party?

Rob
How would Pentax release this "Official Statement"? I suppose the internet, which you've already dismissed.
Perhaps Pentax believes that it is a warranty issue and that people should be grown ups and use their warranty. It's not like as if they are going to knock on every door in the world and ask if there is a K5 resident in the house, but it seems that this is what people are expecting them to do.

I cannot believe the level of overreaching hysteria that this is causing people.
Now, like little old ladies comparing their husband's dirty diapers, we have rafts of Rorschach test like images being posted.
People who would never consider shooting in the doom range loosing their minds because they've found the dreaded leprosy in their camera.

Seriously, a person could write a psychology paper on sick, self destructive masochistic behavior over this.
People, it's just a camera, you may be having a warranty issue with it. If you are concerned that you'll get another bad one, wait a month and then send it back.
No one's life is depending on whether or not their K5 works, and if your lively hood is ruined by it, you have a really crappy business plan.

Grow up, the lot of you. This overarching hand wringing is more what I would expect to see from a room full of mentally ill obsessive compulsives, not normal intelligent people.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 12-09-2010 at 05:17 PM.
12-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oddshot Quote

He offered that if I sent the camera in through the regular warranty channels, it would be repaired or replaced at their expense. However, he cautioned that I should really make sure it is indeed 'stained', and that from their position, they are potentially facing many customers that think they have the 'stains' but really just have dirty sensors that need cleaning... I suppose that is inevitable in situations like this and part of the fallout from such a slip up in the QC department, and because of that, Pentax should just grin and bare it and maybe even just do a few free sensor cleanings in reconciliation.

Why should they do free sensor cleanings if the camera isn't affected? Asking them to do that is acting in very bad faith at best. Has it become the norm to kick people when they are down because we can get a free shot?
Does it make us feel better?
12-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #71

See my Flickr site at: Flickr: Monobod's Photostream

SENSOR 1 is the K-5 straight out of the box.
SENSOR 2 is my 11 month old K-7.

There are more spots on the K-7 than the K-5, yet both do not report any dust using the DUST ALERT function.

The K-7 has been producing faultless A3 competition prints, without any sign of this on them.

Perhaps I am lucky, but I do not think I really have a problem big enough to worry about.

Are you sure that your 'problem' is not just the norm and that you are over reacting? Maybe some are observable, but I doubt if many would see this in the 'Real Wolrd' images they take.

Last edited by Monobod; 12-09-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added a comment
12-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Replacement from Amazon clean

Just received my replacement K5 from Amazon today - they shipped it out next day FedEx. Thankfully, it's spotless, immaculate. Since I have no intention of forfeiting this wonderful camera, if the replacement turned out to have the string of pearls, I was going to deal directly with Pentax.

Original (defect) serial: 3889398
Replacement (good) serial: 3881891

I can't see any rhyme or reason to the posted serial numbers but admittedly serials posted on this forum don't make for a good statistical sample set.

Off topic: I really think Amazon is great if you purchase from their stock vs. their 3rd party sellers (the case with this camera). Normally I would have purchased through B&H but they were out of stock on this item. Glad I didn't because I would have had to return the K5 before receiving the replacement. Amazon is giving me 30 days to return the original (extended for the holidays). Done with the horn-blowing -- no, I don't work for them.
12-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Just received my replacement K5 from Amazon today - they shipped it out next day FedEx. Thankfully, it's spotless, immaculate.
Very happy to see your results as I was looking for them earlier. My post in this thread shows I am right behind you and wishing for the same happy ending.
12-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Thanks! I needed closure.

Let us know how it turns out for you. Hoping for the best...

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Very happy to see your results as I was looking for them earlier. My post in this thread shows I am right behind you and wishing for the same happy ending.
12-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Now, like little old ladies comparing their husband's dirty diapers, we have rafts of Rorschach test like images being posted.
People who would never consider shooting in the doom range loosing their minds because they've found the dreaded leprosy in their camera.
What gives, man? Forum members have requested image samples for corroboration, validation, and critique. For some, the K5 was a substantial investment. Others are concerned because they're worried the problem could worsen in time. And yet you belittle and trivialize others on virtually every thread related to this topic.

However unfortunate it may be, it's unlikely people are going to stop discussing it simply because you don't approve.

Try to stay calm.