Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #91

Photos: Gallery
As I have reported elsewhere, I took my defective camera back to the dealer and asked for a refund. I got it in the end, but only after standing my ground at the counter with the salesperson. He was unaware that there was any problem with the K-5, dispite the fact that I had reported it to the helpdesk and agreed a return with them before journying to the shop.

It appeared to me that the salesperson's personal take on the return was different to the other person I spoke with.

I have spoken to SRS Microsytems, who told me that Pentax were shipping to them, 20 'checked as clean' units. I placed an order with them and hopefully it will arrive shorty.

SRS were very understanding and most helpful.

12-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Sunday 20101205
Spots detected just before I went on holiday

Tuesday 20101207
Contacted dealer while I was on holiday; he told me to bring it in. He did not know about the issue.

Saturday 20101211
Took it on to the dealer who did a quick check and an attempt to clean and confirmed that it could not be cleaned.

Monday 20101213
Dealer contacted the agent who replied that it had to be taken the service center.

Tuesday 20101214 (yesterday)
I took it there

Wedneday 20101215
The service center confirmed the issue (after trying to clean it again). They advised the agent and I can pickup a new one at the dealer on Friday or Saterday.

This one must be good because the summer holiday ( ) starts here on monday so no chance for swapping till the new year.

Friday 20101217
Stock is 'infected'; agent ordered new stock so I have to wait till after the holiday
12-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #93
Veteran Member

The camera shop which I got my K5 from 2wks ago has returned their entire stock to Pentax. It's a big place too; both mail order and retail.

I took the K5 there because the aperture setting wheel works intermittently (especially at low temperature e.g. -2C) and they told me they have none to give me.

The spots I have look like those posted here by others, but are unlikely to be spotted by (IMHO) 99% of users.
12-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
The camera shop which I got my K5 from 2wks ago has returned their entire stock to Pentax.
Ouch!

A week before Xmas thats pretty rough...

Pat

12-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #95
Veteran Member

I think I was overly generous when I said "99%" above.

I've just gone through my K5 pics and sure enough... at F8 or lower the spot is close to invisible. At F16 it is visible and at F22 it is extremely obvious (on pics which happen to be bright in that region).

I normally do my outdoor shots at F8, using AV mode... but (this is in a light aircraft) I use F22 when shooting through the prop, to get a low enough shutter speed to blur the prop completely. That's when it shows.
12-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
The camera shop which I got my K5 from 2wks ago has returned their entire stock to Pentax. It's a big place too; both mail order and retail.

I took the K5 there because the aperture setting wheel works intermittently (especially at low temperature e.g. -2C) and they told me they have none to give me.

The spots I have look like those posted here by others, but are unlikely to be spotted by (IMHO) 99% of users.

Today I decided to take my savings and buy myself a K-5.
I did read this and similar threads yesterday so I asked the stores to first let me open the package and test the camera. I said Ill buy it cash if it works

Now, after 2 different stores and 3 different K-5s, all with the same screwed sensor I have decided that I wont buy a K-5. I will buy candy or lenses or something else.
The last store I was in ( JapanPhoto) started calling all their other stores in Sweden telling them to stop selling K-5 and send them all back. Almost funny what a mess I stired up but I do feel sorry for Pentax. As said in the prev post.... 1 week before christmas....
12-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #97
Inactive Account

Though my K-5 sensor did not seem as bad as others it still had spots. I returned it and will be getting a replacement on Monday. If this one also has spots I'll return it for a refund and wait until the issue has officially been resolved. Though my K10D in old and quite limited compared I will force myself to be satisfied with its capabilities for now.

12-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #98

Stained K-5 Replaced...

I contacted Amazon.com yesterday morning about the sensor stain problem with my K-5 and a replacement arrived (through a snow storm) this evening. The new K-5 does not have any issues. It did have a hot pixel, but that mapped right out with the pixel mapping function. If anyone needs the info, the S/N on the first camera is 3889369 (listed on the box as 388936176543). The replacement without the problem is a 390xxxx number.

I had also requested a replacement of the battery grip. The exposure adjustment button on my first grip didn't work. It works fine on the replacement. The first grip also had issues properly reporting the available battery power when using AA's. I haven't had opportunity to test that yet.

So, the next step is to send the problem camera and grip back to Amazon.com. Interestingly, they gave me free shipping back on the grip, but on the camera I have to pay shipping plus insurance! Regardless, it is a small price to pay to have such a great camera that is now in great condition.

I have attached my sensor stain test image from the first camera if anyone finds it helpful.

Steven
Attached Images

12-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Almost funny what a mess I stired up but I do feel sorry for Pentax. As said in the prev post.... 1 week before christmas....
Honestly I don't feel bad at all... if they had half decent quality control this would not have happened. (Yes I realize some will disagree with me, but my experience is that EVERY Pentax body I've bought had to be exchanged - sometimes several times - to get an acceptable one)

What does make me sad is that with the K5 Pentax finally came out with a game changer, maybe the best camera since the venerable K1000's... and thanks to poor QC this happens...

Pat
12-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #100
Ole
Administrator

Add me to the club. I have to rely on Pentax service since I didn't check the sensor during the period I could have returned the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Friday 20101217
Stock is 'infected'; agent ordered new stock so I have to wait till after the holiday
I know the thread is old but to keep it up-to-date

Thursday 20110310
New body was hand delivered by the local agent this afternoon. With sincerest apologies for the delay.

Positive point: I was allowed to keep the camera till they had new stock. So at least I wasn't without a K5 like a lot of us.
03-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I know the thread is old but to keep it up-to-date

Thursday 20110310
New body was hand delivered by the local agent this afternoon. With sincerest apologies for the delay.

Positive point: I was allowed to keep the camera till they had new stock. So at least I wasn't without a K5 like a lot of us.

Whats your new serial and what about spots or any other problems. Do you now have a good copy?

I have kept my K5 since christmas but I have the return papers here so I can send it back when i feel confident i will get a good copy and perhaps that time has come. Atleast I hope so.
03-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #103
Inactive Account

Ei enään tahroja ei ongelmia. Uusi K-5 4007xxx. Nyt kannattaa hankkia uusi kamera, on meinaan mailman paras.