Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sensor Problem Resolution Thread

I posted this same thread in another Pentax forum where the issue is being hotly discussed but I think it appropriate for this forum as well. Hopefully it will inform visitors to both sites.

By now it's plain that some of the new K-5s have a problem with "stains" on the sensor. The practical impact to the affected users seems to vary greatly depending on how the individual perceives it. Pentax may or may not say anything official on the subject but to me it's more important how Pentax and/or the dealers respond to the K-5 buyers who do have a problem. It would be nice if Pentax acknowledged the problem and reported the cause has been identified and fixed - that would no doubt help calm concerns in potential buyers. And so would reports that those folks who had problems were taken care of in a prompt fashion. But that's up to Pentax. My point here is to try and track how Pentax and its dealers are responding to their customer's complaints, specifically about the sensor problem. My attitude is sh!t happens, but if in the end Pentax takes care of its customers fairly then it should be reported as a plus. And if Pentax stiffs folks, that should be reported too. But they deserve a fair chance to react.

So please, only respond it you've sought out some corrective from Pentax or your dealer about sensor issues, and report what the response has been.

My case, After closer examination I found the dreaded spots on my K-5, and after mulling it over decided to contact my dealer, B&H. They were starting to hear about the problem and immediately sent me an RMA and pre-paid UPS shipping label. They in turn will send me a replacement upon receipt. I have other Pentax I can use so no problem there for me at least. So for now I'm satisfied and hats off to B&H

Hopefully the rest of you are treated as well.

12-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Falk confirmed from my file that there was dust between the sensor and an interior surface. I contacted Pentax by email with no response from them at all.

I contacted Amazon and although the camera was 2 weeks beyond the return date they agreed to a full refund. So I sent it back and decided to buy a new one from Abe's of Maine. It will be here tomorrow.

Terry
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I purchased mine through Amazon (from Amazon stock, not 3rd party). I initiated a return using an online form wherein I also described the problem. Amazon has shipped a replacement unit. After receipt of the new camera I must return the "defective" K5 within some window of time to prevent a double-charge to my account.

Thankfully, I don't have to return the camera before receiving the replacement (good job, Amazon!)

I'll report whether or not the replacement K5 is clean.
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

I just called my suppler and they are sending me a new K5 as we speak. I just told them of the problem and they said fine send it back. Provantage out of Ohio good people.

PS I did call Pentax and they told me if my supplier would not take it back that they would fix it so Pentax doe's know of the problem.

Last edited by Rick Clark; 12-07-2010 at 11:45 AM.
12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Luckily I bought mine in a local store and they had one more, so we checked it and it only featured one very weak spot. I could take that one, or send the other one to be cleaned, I went home with the new one.
12-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Closed Account

I bought mine at a local "London Camera Exchange." I called them about the stain, and they went online to verify the reports (here and elsewhere). They checked a K-5 they had in stock, and when it passed the test clean, they told me to bring in mine and they swapped them for me. Incredibly helpful, and obviously, highly recommended.
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
I just called my suppler and they are sending me a new K5 as we speak. I just told them of the problem and they said fine send it back. Provantage out of Ohio good people.

PS I did call Pentax and they told me if my supplier would not take it back that they would fix it so Pentax doe's know of the problem.
I bought from provantage as well. They have a kind of finicky return policy! But, I have contacted Pentax as well - Pentax CS said they have made note of my issue and serial #, and provantage will now be contacting their own distributor to authorize a replacement, even though it is outside their 30 day return policy. I'll update with the resolution when it occurs.

12-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Pentax response

I contacted Pentax through their webform.
I described the issue, mentioned that it evidently was not a unique thing, and that since it was not a terribly noticeable flaw, I would not be dealing with it until after December. Message sent Sunday Dec 5 (so, call it Monday - first business day). Here's the next-day reply

Dear Mr. B

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

When you are ready to have your K-5 examined for a possible sensor problem I recommend you return your camera directly to Pentax Canada for examination. In the meantime, you might try using a hand-held bulb type blower to gently blow air on the sensor and remove any debris that may have collected on it.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

I took a bunch of 'real world' shots at lunch today. and will check them out very carefully tonight. I've seen much worse examples posted here than what I am getting from my own K-5, so maybe I will take the watchful waiting approach.
12-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
I contacted Pentax through their webform.
Wow, I'm inpressed!

Which form did you use? The one in "Contact us" or the one in "Service & Support"?

Pat
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Wow, I'm inpressed!

Which form did you use? The one in "Contact us" or the one in "Service & Support"?

Pat
Service and Support:
Pentax Canada - Digital Camera Support

Oh, and they did include a copy of my message (capitalization removed for some reason).

Your Email:
warranty issue:
there are dark specks visible in some images taken at small aperture regardless of lens, as if there is dust on the sensor, but it is not affected by sensor cleaning, (in-camera sensor cleaning or mirror-up blower cleaning). it appears to be a manufacturing defect, and evidently is an issue with many k-5 owners. i can post-process it out wherever it is actually noticeable in an image, but of course, i would prefer a flawless sensor. i am reporting this now to open a file, but i prefer to delay sending the camera in for repair/replacement until pentax has determined its response to this issue. also, i cannot do without the camera until after december. thank you for your attention.
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks JayBee! I'll also send them a message.

Pat
12-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #12

Pentax representative for Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg is a pain in the ass.
The name is DE Beukelaer and they are situated in Belgium....
Up to this day, they had no notice of the sensor spots problem...
So Here no lucky people with speckled sensors K5.
You guys in the States are lucky.
12-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Realizing now that this issue is being posted in at least another thread, the original one (a poll):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/125009-stains-your-k5d-sensor-poll.html

Why not having all of the info in one single thread?
Less difficult to follow up.

JP
12-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

JP ... When I started the poll thread I asked that people only answer the poll after proper testing and post their serial and photos of their stains and keep the discussions to one of the threads that had already been started.

Sadly it was turned into a debate by a few who are lucky enough not to have problems (or even a K5d) and seem to think it's ok to be confrontational with those of us who are experiencing problems.

I think it's good to have a poll thread, a discussion thread and a solutions thread or else this would turn into a massive clusterf*** of a thread.

Just my 2 cents worth of course, your mileage may vary.

Pat
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
JP ... When I started the poll thread I asked that people only answer the poll after proper testing and post their serial and photos of their stains and keep the discussions to one of the threads that had already been started.

Sadly it was turned into a debate by a few who are lucky enough not to have problems (or even a K5d) and seem to think it's ok to be confrontational with those of us who are experiencing problems.

I think it's good to have a poll thread, a discussion thread and a solutions thread or else this would turn into a massive clusterf*** of a thread.

Just my 2 cents worth of course, your mileage may vary.

Pat
+1 on this we need to keep separate A: what is the problem? B:who has the problem and who doesnt (ie problem distribution) and finally C: what can we do about it?

NaCl(otherwise it gets all mixed up)H2O