Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Andras,

as I posted in the Sensor problem resolution thread, Pentax does listen. Customers with a real issue (like the string of pearls) will get their camera exchanged. Great customer service indeed. Moreover, they now apply additional QC to avoid the problem reaching the customer. Even to existing stock!
That is in Europe. So far in the US, there has been no response that I am aware of.

12-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
That is in Europe. So far in the US, there has been no response that I am aware of.
Same in Canada... I emailed them yesterday with a description of the problem, link to the poll thread as well as link to photos of the contamination and have not heard from them. I did specifically request that they at the very least acknowledge receipt of the email.

I figure giving them 48hrs to respond is reasonable, then I'll escalate this.

Pat
12-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well Gene, I counted 9 threads totaling 691 posts on the subject running at the moment.
It seems to me that this shows that there are a lot of people having problems figuring out what to do when they have an equipment malfunction.
I'm merely trying to help these people out by suggesting the best way possible for them to resolve their problem with their new camera.

You can be sure that both 6000+ posts and generous financial contributions to the site don't give me any special privilege.

I'm with you. While I'm not prepared to write a comprehensive essay on the benefits and drawbacks of the internet at present, I will venture a guess that returning a defective piece of equipment to either the place one bought it or the manufacturer has a better chance of fixing the problem than repeating in post after post how Pentax has wronged humanity.
12-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Same in Canada... I emailed them yesterday with a description of the problem, link to the poll thread as well as link to photos of the contamination and have not heard from them. I did specifically request that they at the very least acknowledge receipt of the email.
Has anyone ever received a reply to an unsollicited email sent to Pentax Canada ? I tried to contact them 3 times by email in the past and gave up. Interestingly, they did reply to an email I sent *after they asked me to confirm something by email*.

Calling them is the way to go for new issues, it seems.

12-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Well.
I guess if Misere or LanceB ask Ned directly, they may be able to report as well ...

The thing was escalated to Pentax management level and now it has to tickle down to the continent-wide service infrastructures.
12-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #51
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure there is a solution to this that will please everyone, but I do know that a lack of clarity of the problem in an Official manner by Pentax is hurting them at the strongest buying season of the year. Just an acknowledgment of the problem, and a course of action for the confidence of new buyers could prevent more damage to sales, but apparently they are going to put in in the box with SDM failures and deny its existence?

I was hoping for my new K5 for Christmas, but like many others, I will wait until the "All Clear" sign comes on, whenever that may be. For SDM, that light is still not on, is it?
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 12-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.
12-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Andras,

as I posted in the Sensor problem resolution thread, Pentax does listen. Customers with a real issue (like the string of pearls) will get their camera exchanged. Great customer service indeed. Moreover, they now apply additional QC to avoid the problem reaching the customer. Even to existing stock!
Falk,

That is exacly the same what I was told by the official repair company here in Hungary. I'm packing my camera now..and hope this issue is solved in that simple manner as it was told. After that I will say great customer service.. Hope I will..

Andras

12-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert - Just a note that my K20 was struggling with my DA* 300 SDM intermittently. But it hasn't skipped a beat on my new K-5. Fast, quiet as it should be and the new AF is superior to the old version.

Jack
12-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
1) Well Gene, I counted 9 threads totaling 691 posts on the subject running at the moment.
It seems to me that this shows that there are a lot of people having problems figuring out what to do when they have an equipment malfunction.

2) I'm merely trying to help these people out by suggesting the best way possible for them to resolve their problem with their new camera.

3)You can be sure that both 6000+ posts and generous financial contributions to the site don't give me any special privilege.
1) People are seeking information. That's the purpose of any forums.
2) Merely? But again, it can be done without the condescending tone. You really believe that by being condescending you will change what/how people post??
3) You are correct, it doesn't.

Gene
12-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #55
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Rupert - Just a note that my K20 was struggling with my DA* 300 SDM intermittently. But it hasn't skipped a beat on my new K-5. Fast, quiet as it should be and the new AF is superior to the old version.

Jack
That is good news, my DA*50-135 is a slow focus lens on my K20D. Now if I could just be assured of getting a K5 without problems........
Best Regards!

Note: I had one 50-135 fail and Pentax replaced it. In all fairness to the DA*50-135, it would still be a Prize if it was total MF.....just a superior lens in every respect....except SDM.
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Has anyone ever received a reply to an unsollicited email sent to Pentax Canada ? I tried to contact them 3 times by email in the past and gave up.
It's the third or fourth time I email Pentax Canada service for information. The previous 2-3 times I never got an answer or even acknowledgement.

I'm still patiently waiting for a response to the email I sent yesterday but should I "fall thru the cracks" again I'll be sending a complaint by registered mail to the office of the CEO of Pentax Canada. I'm sorry but that kind of lack of service is simply unacceptable. If an email form is available on their site for their customers, then there are *no* excuses for not responding to the customers with at least a "we got your message" form email.

Yes I am a squeaky wheel...

Pat
12-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
It's the third or fourth time I email Pentax Canada service for information. The previous 2-3 times I never got an answer or even acknowledgement.

I'm still patiently waiting for a response to the email I sent yesterday but should I "fall thru the cracks" again I'll be sending a complaint by registered mail to the office of the CEO of Pentax Canada. I'm sorry but that kind of lack of service is simply unacceptable. If an email form is available on their site for their customers, then there are *no* excuses for not responding to the customers with at least a "we got your message" form email.

Yes I am a squeaky wheel...

Pat
Pat, as i've said in another topic, i've spoken with a sales rep at Simon's when I was picking up mine... Long story short, they are slowly getting rid of all Pentax gear, biggest problem being - Pentax Canada... No marketing, no support, horrible supply... Out of the whole batch of K5's they've ordered, Laval only got the one i've pre-paid... Still no news on the 18-135 though...

Pentax-Japan, are you hearing us?
12-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
John, don't know if you noticed this in the thread you started but here is a clear example of the stains showing up in a "norma" photo
this is pretty blatant

NaCl(yep it exsists in the real world)H2O
I tried to estimate the size of the spots on in that photo, and those over the waterfall appear to correspond to about 0.2mm scaled down to sensor size. The spots Falconeye and others documented appears to be 30-40 micrometer. That's a big difference. Can this really be the same thing? I'm sceptical.
12-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #59
Rin
Forum Member

i hope they will do the same in holland and belgium, its not pentax that sells their cameras here but another distributor instead.
12-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #60
Forum Member

Pat , Falk
I like your attitude and background work !
But maybe it is time to take it out from the Pentax forum into the photography world meaning to some general photography web site.
BTW - some of the emails here got personal and I thought we are here to share issues and get help how to get them resolved….