Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

PENTAX-are you listening?

Hello,

My K-5 is also affected by this stain issue..I don't say it's ruined my day (so far) as it doesn't really seem to effect my pictures (so far)...but it's still REALLY REALLY annoying...

Anyway I am taking part in a QUALITY INSURANCE course right now..and my thoughts are always coming back to my K-5 and Pentax. Now the teacher of this course has a lot of experience in car-manufacturing and he told us that the recent recall of TOYOTAs actually INCREASED their sales in the US by 30%... as this move greatly increased the buyer's confidence in them..no need to explain this I think..

..and what do you think? Do you think Pentax listens?

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 12-07-2010 at 11:17 AM.
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, they do- the k5 itself is an example. I'm not sure how much of this recent stain talk is true, and how much is just dust, though. Sounds awfully probable that it's more of the second.
12-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, they do- the k5 itself is an example. I'm not sure how much of this recent stain talk is true, and how much is just dust, though. Sounds awfully probable that it's more of the second.
Come now Adam, do you think your users are so inept that they can't tell the difference between random specs of dust that can be blown or wet cleaned and clusters or strings of cell like contamination? You've seen the photos people have posted.

Even with a 10% human error margin we're still looking at spots for nearly 50% of the people who answered the poll.

Pat
12-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Read your post and ask what is the problem you're having. I don't have a clue. I get a hint from Adam's and Pat's post.

12-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Adam, You are right with your example...they listened and designed this camera..however they need to produce it up to to the expectations..actually this is not a cheap toy. I don't think PENTAX can afford anything similar to this issue..this camera is their CHANCE in this Canon/Nikon ruled business. And all the early buyers showed THEIR LOYALITY and beleif in the company..now I think it is time the company shows HER LOYALITY to the buyers who invested not only in a camera but in the future of this great company..

Andras
12-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think some of those speculations online are those Pentax haters created, and defect items will always exist because nothing (nobody) is perfect.

I just emailed Pentax regarding on the stain issue, here is what they have to say:

"We are not experiencing a problem with a “stain” on the CMOS sensor. PENTAX has not indicated such a problem."
12-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What is your evidence for it being probably more of the latter? I've read through all of the relevant threads and pretty evey K-5 owner has been able to distinguish between cleanable surface dust and the particles trapped under the sensor covers. The evidence on this forum points to it being more of the former.

12-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
I think some of those speculations online are those Pentax haters created, and defect items will always exist because nothing (nobody) is perfect.

I just emailed Pentax regarding on the stain issue, here is what they have to say:

"We are not experiencing a problem with a “stain” on the CMOS sensor. PENTAX has not indicated such a problem."

Well Pentax have 'just' told a UK dealer that it does exist K5 Sensor Issues... although they claim it only affects a small percentage of users.
12-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I certainly hope this is not the official Pentax/Hoya position on this issue?
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the problem concerns the sensor, then the sensor's maker is more responsible than the camera's manufacturer. But Pentax should take responsibility as well, and solve the issue between itself and Sony...
12-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #11

I have been looking at different pentax sites looking at pictures people sent of their supposed stained sensors.There is a few pics I do question,but most photos look like dust on the sensor.
12-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been looking at different pentax sites looking at pictures people sent of their supposed stained sensors.There is a few pics I do question,but most photos look like dust on the sensor.
Two things that look alike may have different causes.
I convinced a friend to choose the K-5 over the D7000. Tomorrow I'm going to check his camera. Hope it doesn't have this problem.
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Rin
Forum Member

It really think these kind of posts are annoying, sure there are probably some that could not recognize dust from those stains. But obviously a lot of users DO have those characteristic stains and no not only visible at F22, i can see them at F6 but not as clear, when i stop down to F11 they are perfectly clear on a light background.
12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rin Quote
It really think these kind of posts are annoying, sure there are probably some that could not recognize dust from those stains. But obviously a lot of users DO have those characteristic stains and no not only visible at F22, i can see them at F6 but not as clear, when i stop down to F11 they are perfectly clear on a light background.
When a real scientist and technogeek, such as Falk Lumo (falconeye,) says that there is a problem, then I tend to believe it. Just how widespread and significant it is in practical terms remains to be seen.

Rob
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

These kinds of threads are what is annoying.
If you have a problem with your camera, get it fixed.
There is nothing complicated about this concept.

Pack it up and take it to your local Pentax dealer and have it repaired.
Pack it up and mail it back to your mail order Pentax dealer and have it repaired.
Pack it up and send it to Pentax directly and have it repaired.
Pack it up and take it back to your local Pentax dealer for a refund.
Pack it up and send it back to your mail order Pentax dealer for a refund.

Sorry, I've probably over complicated it.
Pick one of the five options above, try to choose the one that best fits your lifestyle.