Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are we (Pentaxians) more critical than Canikonians?

I am just curious, since I haven't heard all that much about problems with Canikon cameras, are we more critical about our camera's performance? When I look at this forum, it is mostly about finding issues with the new K-5, and testing. I am starting to think that we make great beta testers.

Any thoughts?

Eric

12-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps Canikon owners just tend to be more mature.
12-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps Canikon owners just tend to be more mature.
I am not sure I would agree when I see so many Canikon owners using their entry-level camera as P&S! (Not to mention those who appear not to know their camera.)

Perhaps the Pentaxians are more involved and know better their gears. In turn they are more critical but there is nothing wrong about it. To be critical and constructive is maturity, is it not?
12-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I am not sure I would agree when I see so many Canikon owners using their entry-level camera as P&S! (Not to mention those who appear not to know their camera.)

Perhaps the Pentaxians are more involved and know better their gears. In turn they are more critical but there is nothing wrong about it. To be critical and constructive is maturity, is it not?
Critical and constructive can be, actively testing a camera to destruction so that a person can complain about a destroyed camera is anything but mature.
I see more of the latter than the former here on a daily basis.

Bleating like a lost sheep because you've found a flaw in your camera isn't especially mature. Getting the product repaired/replaced is mature.

Here's a question for you in return:
What have the polls, the myriad of pictures of blank walls, and all the moaning and hand wringing done to get a single camera repaired?

12-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Rin
Forum Member

Next to that people tend to use the internet more if there are problems compared to people who just want to say something positive, this is a researched fact
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's actually a lot simpler... Knowing that Pentax gear is largely inferior in performance when compared to CaNikon offerings, a lot of users have an urge to prove to them-selves, and to the rest of the world that "Pentax is capable enough"... Small di@k syndrome in other words...

Bleating like a lost sheep because you've found a flaw in your camera isn't especially mature. Getting the product repaired/replaced is mature.
GM is probably offering the best warranty on the market... That doesn't change the fact that GM cars are still a major piece of sh#t... Because unless you're retired and don't know what to do with your spare time, nobody has THAT much time to deal with warranty issues...

Sending in a brand new 1500$ camera body for repairs out of the box it is very freaging mature... no doubt...
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote

Sending in a brand new 1500$ camera body for repairs out of the box it is very freaging mature... no doubt...
Nice to see a consensus developing.
Dealing with the inconveniences that life deals us in an adult fashion is the right thing to do.
A person has no way of knowing if what's in the box they just took delivery of is a problem free product or not, how that person handles him or herself in the face of this niggling adversity really does help separate the adults from the man-children.

12-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I've read on Canon, Nikon, & Sony forums there generally seems to be the same level of understanding and dissatisfaction with those manufactures as well.
12-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Probably the same ratio of critical users for each brand. I've seen D7000 users ranting about hot pixels and Oly users who harp on the modest nature of the E5 upgrade yet admire the image quality.

On another forum some Pentax users want to switch brands simply because of the stain issue. Remember all the problems folks had years ago with the Leica M8 requiring a M8.2?
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
My observation is that for many years the DSLR Pentax forums are dominated by people that don't like to take pictures but like to complain.

I still wonder why they keep buying Pentax camera's...
12-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
To complain or make photographs

My observation is that for many years the DSLR Pentax forums are dominated by people that don't like to take pictures but like to complain.

I still wonder why they keep buying Pentax cameras...
12-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

maartenl, I'm not so sure.
This forum is loaded with photos posted by members: post your photos, photo critique, weekly challenges, POTW - I can't even keep up with it all.

Nevertheless there's also a lot of bickering and not enough self service problem-solving. But despite evidence to the contrary, I don't think Pentaxians are a different species of human beings to Canonians and Nikonians and whatever other -onians there are. We collectively like to complain when things don't go to our expectations.
12-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

What have the polls, the myriad of pictures of blank walls, and all the moaning and hand wringing done to get a single camera repaired?
Nothing. But moaning about the K-7's AF point selection method got it changed in firmware update. No doubt other's complaining about some other function got changes made to the next model, for example ability to turn off DFS not on the K-7 heavily complained about, appears on K-5. So complaining about stains on a sensor not only alerts others to a potential problem before they run out of warranty, it also wakes Pentax up to the problem and they can set things in motion to help fix it and prevent it from happening again.
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I suggest those going to deliberate efforts and huge enlargements specifically to find spots on the K5's sensor try the same thing on other models and brands.
12-07-2010, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #15

Yeah I think we are but we're also generally more tech aware than the average Canikon user.

If not, then we'd all be base our purchasing decisions on marketing guff and end up buying Canikon cause they're the most popular.

bazz.

Last edited by sir_bazz; 12-08-2010 at 12:41 AM.