Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

New ACR Lens Correct vs K-5 in Camera Correct

I see more Pentax lens profiles are now available in ACR.

Lens correction can be done to RAW files in my Photoshop
OR
Lens correction can be done "in camera" w/my K-5.

For the lens corrections that seem to be duplicated between "in camera" and ACR - distortion and chromatic - any ideas or opinions as to which lens correction you would use?

The ACR RAW lens corrections have control sliders, and obviously there is a lot more control. The "in camera" lens corrections seem to suck a lot of processing power and delay the display of the just taken shot on the LCD.

Just looking for other peoples' thoughts on this - if any.

12-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In-camera only applies to JPG and it drastically slows down the camera... RAW is your friend..
12-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
The option to turn lens correction on and off is available on the lcd info screen for RAW as well as JPG. I'm quite certain the processing takes place in RAW also as processing is slowed way down in RAW also.
12-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You're probably in RAW+JPG... because on mine, in RAW only lens correction is grayed out... The only correction that is applied to RAW files by Pentax cameras is Noise Reduction at high ISO...

Another benefit of applying the correction to RAW files in ACR is that you can vary the degree of correction... for instance, I almost never completely de-fish images taken with a fisheye keeping them at ~35-40%... that's just the way I like it...

12-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The lens corrections found in ACR and Lightroom were developed via collaboration between Pentax and Adobe. The few random tests I've performed look superb, especially the DA Ltd 15mm and 21mm models. I would really like the DA 12-24mm to be included in the future.

One note to Lightroom users: using the lens corrections tended to slow down LR 3.2. I have not used v3.3 enough to determine if Adobe has "fixed" this. So if using lens corrections still bogs things down, save it for the last step in your workflow.

M
12-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I only see lens corrections for pentax 645 lenses... no DA limited corrections in the list... do you need to download these separately? (in light room 3.2)
12-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need LR 3.3
12-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
awesome, downloading now, annoying that its a full download / uninstall / reinstall and not just an in app patch.

didnt need re registering though so that is good!

and now i have corrections for every lens i own, awesome

Last edited by WerTicus; 12-08-2010 at 01:15 AM.
12-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
awesome, downloading now, annoying that its a full download / uninstall / reinstall and not just an in app patch.

LR 3.3 + K-5 = awesome result. sharp. even moire visible.
it says that AA filter is not strong. VERY cool colours.

K5FARI00100.jpg - Альбом #1 - огл - Участники - Фотогалерея iXBT
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/32162qXOjQehHIw/E9QALj3fZV/571073.jpg
12-08-2010, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emblemex Quote
The option to turn lens correction on and off is available on the lcd info screen for RAW as well as JPG. I'm quite certain the processing takes place in RAW also as processing is slowed way down in RAW also.
When you shoot RAW, the camera applies all JPG processing to create the JPG that's embedded in the RAW file. These are the images you see when reviewing pictures in-camera. This is why histogram and highlight warnings you see in-camera are not necessarily accurate as they are the result of this processing (including compression or parts of the histogram for contrast changes, highlight and shadow clipping). Lens corrections are the same, i.e. they are applied on the embedded JPG but the RAW data is left untouched by them.

Wim
12-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Big disappointment is that there's no profile for the DA 10-17 yet... But they are going in the right direction nonetheless...
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
When you shoot RAW, the camera applies all JPG processing to create the JPG that's embedded in the RAW file. These are the images you see when reviewing pictures in-camera. This is why histogram and highlight warnings you see in-camera are not necessarily accurate as they are the result of this processing (including compression or parts of the histogram for contrast changes, highlight and shadow clipping). Lens corrections are the same, i.e. they are applied on the embedded JPG but the RAW data is left untouched by them.

Wim
Tks for your reply. This makes sense to me.
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
LR 3.3 + K-5 = awesome result. sharp. even moire visible.
it says that AA filter is not strong. VERY cool colours.

Is that for PEF, DNG, or both?