Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #1

Anyone encounter problem with K5's rear command wheel?

Hi guys, I just realise that my K5's rear command wheel could be spoilt or over-sensitive..

When I am in AV mode and want to change my aperture, the aperture will jump erratically when I scroll the command wheel to the right. In normal circumstances, the value of the aperture should increase accordingly when I scroll to the right eg. 3.5 to 4.0, 4.0 to 4.5, 4.5 to 5.6 etc.. But when I scroll the command wheel to the right, it will sometime jump from 3.5 to 5.6 or worse it will go backwards, 5.6 will suddenly jump back to 4.0..

When I am viewing the pics that I took, scrolling the command wheel to the right is supposed to zoom in and scrolling to the left is supposed to zoom out, but same thing happen here. When I scroll to the right one time, it will zoom in then when I continue to scroll to the right again to zoom in further, it will suddenly zoom out and worse it will zoom out till you can see the folder view!

I have tested the front command wheel for scrolling through pics and also in TV mode for changing the shutter speed and it works perfectly. Is my rear command wheel spoilt (over-sensitive)? I remember my KX didnt behave like this.

12-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about K-5 but my K-r developed the same fault and is now being repaired under warranty. There has been a few other K-r owners with the same problem.
12-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No problem with my K-5
12-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My front wheel does exactly the same thing ... my rear wheel is fine.

Apparently its not the cameras fault but is actually due to user error.

12-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Apparently its not the cameras fault but is actually due to user error.
How can it be user error? If the wheel is scrolled only to one direction and it erratically zooms in/out or increases/decreases shutter speed etc?
12-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You're holding it wrong

No wait thats apple!!!

For what it's worth, my rear wheel is also a bit wonky at times. It's sometimes unresponsive for the first few clicks and then comes to life, but it happens maybe 1 in 20 times. I'm not overly concerned as this camera is going back to Pentax in January for the sensor contamination problem.

Pat
12-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

TS has already found the answer.

I better link it here before it devolves into another K5 'DIAL-ALOGY ISSUE' thread from assumptions and hearsay.

Anyone encounter problem with K5's rear command wheel? - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

12-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for linking the solution here pinholecam! I think the simple solution will be very helpful for many..

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
TS has already found the answer.

I better link it here before it devolves into another K5 'DIAL-ALOGY ISSUE' thread from assumptions and hearsay.

Anyone encounter problem with K5's rear command wheel? - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
04-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

How often does this problem need fixing, for those who have it? Is some kind of blower necessary, or does continuous turning back and forth do the job consistently by itself?

Background: I tried a k-r in the store, since my fascination with mirrorless ended when I tried some of the EVFs. I noticed this issue right away on the k-r, without having heard about it before. This sort of annoying problem is certainly not limited to Pentax - the Fuji x100 has various reported issues, for example. But I found the reports of this wheel issue getting worse, reoccurring, and occurring on all models (here and on dpreview) somewhat off-putting. Looking for some encouragement, wondering if it's worth shopping around to find a better copy, or even going for a used k200d instead...
04-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I know on my K20D, my rear dial occasionally wouldn't register turns. Someone pointed out that if the front dial is in between "clicks", it can cause the rear dial to not register. The same thing occurs in reverse as well (rear dial between clicks, front dial doesn't register).

I haven't confirmed if this can still happen with the K5, but it seems like a reasonable scenario.

Anyhoo....just wanted to throw that out there as well.
04-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I know on my K20D, my rear dial occasionally wouldn't register turns. Someone pointed out that if the front dial is in between "clicks", it can cause the rear dial to not register. The same thing occurs in reverse as well (rear dial between clicks, front dial doesn't register).

I haven't confirmed if this can still happen with the K5, but it seems like a reasonable scenario.

Anyhoo....just wanted to throw that out there as well.
I encountered the same problems as Russ with my K20D on a few occasions, so far none with the K5, but if I do, this was a good reminder of where the problem may be.
Regards!
06-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #12

The thumbwheel on the back of my k5 is acting up too. Reviewing pictures at different zoom ratios is getting difficult It jumps ahead a few steps, then jumps back. I'll admit , the switch gets a lot of use reviewing pictures. But shame on Pentax for not using optical switches for the thumbwheels. These switches will fail on all the k5's that get moderate to heavy use.
06-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronius Quote
the aperture will jump erratically when I scroll the command wheel to the right. In normal circumstances, the value of the aperture should increase accordingly when I scroll to the right eg. 3.5 to 4.0, 4.0 to 4.5, 4.5 to 5.6 etc.. But when I scroll the command wheel to the right, it will sometime jump from 3.5 to 5.6 or worse it will go backwards,
I had this exact same fault in the front settings wheel. It's caused by a failure in an optoelectronic device - an LED or a sensor - which causes the signal to drop, or alternately it's a faulty alignment of the flex which holds the components. It has nothing to do with the firmware. Send the camera in for repair or exchange.
06-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronius Quote
Hi guys, I just realise that my K5's rear command wheel could be spoilt or over-sensitive..

When I am in AV mode and want to change my aperture, the aperture will jump erratically when I scroll the command wheel to the right. In normal circumstances, the value of the aperture should increase accordingly when I scroll to the right eg. 3.5 to 4.0, 4.0 to 4.5, 4.5 to 5.6 etc.. But when I scroll the command wheel to the right, it will sometime jump from 3.5 to 5.6 or worse it will go backwards, 5.6 will suddenly jump back to 4.0..

I had a similar problem on my K-7. It became erratic first before failing altogether.
The Pentax service centre said it was a faulty E-wheel circuit (the electronics bit), and it was replaced under warranty. The K-5 shares the same E-wheel hardware, so I'm not surprised others have the same issue.
The rear E-wheel does get a lot of heavy usage, but I wish Pentax would make it more durable.
06-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

@aaronius
What for productiondate is your camera?
And please the first 4 numbers of your Serialnumber?