Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Shutter counter starts at: 1

I've just send my K-5 in to Topfoto.nu to have it send to the Pentax Benelux representation "De Beukelear" for repairs.

The camera has 3 issues:
1) The front wheel does not respond well. No probs on the grip wheel.
2) The level is not horizontal.
3) Stain on sensor (the sensor did arrive with dust on the sensor as well!)

I did buy a K10D and a K-7 in the past without any quality issues...

These camera's came with shutter counters of more than 200 actuations out of the box.
Previous discussions on this forum suggested that this was due to Pentax factory quality control.
I checked the first picture taken with my K-5 with Photo-ME and... the shutter counter of the picture is: 1!

There are 2 explanations for this:
1) Pentax resets the shutter counter after QC and before packaging nowadays.
2) The camera was not tested by QC.

I tend to believe the second option....

- Bert

PS Can you please check your first K-5 picture EXIF data?
If you do not have Photo-ME, you can download it here: PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

12-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Can you please check your first K-5 picture EXIF data?
Bert,

I have been blamed for not searching the forum before asking the question (but at least, I din't create a brand new thread for this...).

And now it is you to blame
Answered numerous times ...

The internal shutter count is reset to zero when leaving the fab. Too many questions I guess ... Or a trade secret how many test shots they need to calibrate their stuff (a lot of work with many shots btw).
12-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Bert,

I have been blamed for not searching the forum before asking the question (but at least, I din't create a brand new thread for this...).

And now it is you to blame
Answered numerous times ...

The internal shutter count is reset to zero when leaving the fab. Too many questions I guess ... Or a trade secret how many test shots they need to calibrate their stuff (a lot of work with many shots btw).
Sorry for the inconvenience Falk,

However, I did search the forum on "shutter count", "QC" and a number of other combinations without finding such threads.

- Bert
12-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Sorry for the inconvenience Falk,

However, I did search the forum on "shutter count", "QC" and a number of other combinations without finding such threads.

- Bert
Bert, yes, the forum's search function is of no value for me too.