Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would just ask for a little calmness in the forum. Maybe I am naive, but I believe that Pentax will take care of the people who have have sensor issues. It is just difficulty for a company with a presence in so many countries to formulate a plan to address the situation, in particular if they aren't certain how much stock in stores right now is really effected.

Hopefully they are testing cameras being produced now, for this defect and finding out where in the manufacturing process it is occurring. Still, there is a lot of stock out there right now and it will be awhile before the situation is truly "under control."

If Pentax doesn't take care of the situation, then will be the time to get angry.
I don't see many people actually getting angry though some may be. When you are awaiting your third camera and it is costing you $30 a pop to return ship and insure the faulty ones it does get a little tiresome though.

I have had 2 K5's both with sensor stains visible to the naked eye. My wife's K5 has some scattered spots she can live with (though she should not have to ).

If the next one ships with this issue I will go for a refund and wait the thing out. There is no point keeping on ordering and exchanging cameras ad infinitum. I will not hang on to a camera exhibiting this issue hoping that Pentax will do an exchange rather than replace. I do not wish to spend $1500 on a camera only to have it undergo repairs at the AZ facility.

I would have thought by now Pentax USA should have had a policy in place that goes beyond " we will report this to corporate" and you may or may not get a response from them. Or send it to AZ and they may or may not actually have spares and tools for this camera in stock to effect a repair.

If I hang onto a camera beyond the 30 days return period of the retailer I could end up with a repaired camera that could be away an indeterminate length of time. Would you accept that position I wonder?

I don't see people getting hysterical about this either. I do see people who are concerned that their quite large investment in a camera has turned out to be less than satisfactory, they are entitled to that concern and because of the uncertainty of the remedy they are casting around for knowledge and help.

I personally am now going to shut up about this issue, have said all I need to say and hopefully my situation will be resolved with the last exchange. I really wish there was a Pentax dealer closer than 300 miles away. I would pay extra to go and sort out a known good camera.

Last edited by telfish; 12-10-2010 at 06:49 AM.
12-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #62
Banned

When Pentax fixes the problem, how will we know? Do you think Pentax will come out and make a public announcement saying that they fixed the camera and future stock will be free of this defect?
12-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #63

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
When Pentax fixes the problem, how will we know? Do you think Pentax will come out and make a public announcement saying that they fixed the camera and future stock will be free of this defect?
Should be pretty easy - you'll stop seeing posts saying "mine has stains" and start seeing all posts with "mine doesn't".
12-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #64
Banned

So you don't expect Pentax to make any kind of formal announcement?

Just caveat emptor? Pay your money and take your chances?

I don't think that works for me honestly.....

12-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Although I would welcome it, I would actually be surprised to see an official announcement from Pentax.

The way I look at it, it's not really buyer beware - that would suggest that you spend your money, take your chances and if you get a bad copy you're out money. This is more a case of buyer be aware (at least at this point) that you may not get a 100% clean K-5 sensor right off the bat and it may have to be replaced by the retailer (or Pentax) in order to rectify the situation.

FWIW, my original K-5 has some stains that were centrally located and apparent event at f/8-f11. I got a replacement from Amazon, which was an improvement, but there is still a visible "string of pearls" at f/16-f/22, although they are not as prominent nor in as conspicuous a location. At this point I'm not sure I want to roll the dice with a third body, I am probably going to sit tight until Pentax has time to get a stock of "clean" sensors.
12-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #66

Why should they? It's not a stuck accelerator pedal that can cost you your life, it's a sensor (which BTW, they didn't make) that they are acknowledging will be fixed or repaired at their expense. They aren't denying the problem, and they are taking steps to resolve it. What is the need for an announcement?

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #67
Banned

QuoteQuote:
What is the need for an announcement?
Oh I suppose none. The camera ships with a bad sensor, no real need to tell people that future camera will ship with a good one.......we can just assume they will. If not, I can just play the buy, test, return, test, return, test, return game until I get a good one.

No need to actually let anyone know when the camera is fixed. It is under warranty right?
12-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is a shame is that all the retailers, online or brick and morter, are having to deal with the issue too. Hard enough to find stores where you can even get your hands on the camera before purchase. The K5 is a great camera, but it sure hasn't turned out to be for retailers, who may be reluctant to carry the Pentax brand in the future. Half of the marketing battle is "placement" of the product in enough venues, so that it is readily available. Nikon and Canon have won this battle to date. Pentax had a chance to advance in this area, but their response will be telling, as to whether retailers will continue to offer the Pentax brand.

12-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Oh I suppose none. The camera ships with a bad sensor, no real need to tell people that future camera will ship with a good one.......we can just assume they will. If not, I can just play the buy, test, return, test, return, test, return game until I get a good one.

No need to actually let anyone know when the camera is fixed. It is under warranty right?
Do you really think that they will just let future cameras ship with a faulty sensor?
And yes, it is a warranty issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
What is a shame is that all the retailers, online or brick and morter, are having to deal with the issue too. Hard enough to find stores where you can even get your hands on the camera before purchase. The K5 is a great camera, but it sure hasn't turned out to be for retailers, who may be reluctant to carry the Pentax brand in the future. Half of the marketing battle is "placement" of the product in enough venues, so that it is readily available. Nikon and Canon have won this battle to date. Pentax had a chance to advance in this area, but their response will be telling, as to whether retailers will continue to offer the Pentax brand.
Nikon and Canon have had their share of defects and problems. Nothing new here.
12-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
BHPhoto has already stated on this board that Pentax is allowing customer returns, and will replace their inventory and cover any associated costs they incur as a result of this problem. On top of doing everything they can at this point for us lowly consumers (some might beg to differ but that is how I feel, currently in the process of getting an RMA to return to provantage...outside of their 30 day return window), sounds like Pentax are covering their retailers as well. What more can you ask at this point?
12-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I see. And yes it is a problem with you taking things out of context.

Here, for your edification is the two sentences in sequence with nothing else to confuse you:

"I'm sorry that you are not fortunate enough to have a camera shop next door to handle this for you. I realize that isn't your fault directly, but it isn't Pentax's fault either."

Now, let me clarify this for you.

It is neither the fault of the person I was responding to, nor the fault of Pentax that local camera stores are hard to find, but the lack of camera stores these days falls 100% at the feet of consumers in general (hence my point about this lack not being the "direct fault" of the person I was responding to).

Those two sentences had absolutely nothing to do with Pentax shipping defective cameras, and I believe there was no associated context that would lead a person to think that there was any associated context to that end.

If you need any other help with understanding my posts, please don't hesitate to ask.

Just thought I would ask what on earth Pentax not being in Brick and Mortar stores had to do with faulty sensors? And yes it is the fault of Pentax that they are not in retail outlets, they make it almost impossible for retailers to stock their merchandise with their outrageous demands. In my Small Metroplex of nearly 6 million people you can find a Canon or Nikon most anywhere, but not a Pentax in sight.

This thread was about sensors, until you threw out a "Red Herring" about camera stores. Maybe you can stick to the subject at hand?
Regards!
12-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
BHPhoto has already stated on this board that Pentax is allowing customer returns, and will replace their inventory and cover any associated costs they incur as a result of this problem. On top of doing everything they can at this point for us lowly consumers (some might beg to differ but that is how I feel, currently in the process of getting an RMA to return to provantage...outside of their 30 day return window), sounds like Pentax are covering their retailers as well. What more can you ask at this point?
Provantage has sent me a new one, so I will wait and see if it is clean.
I found out that they got it from BH. I guess there is a big mark up for BH to sell to other retailers. Good luck Paul
12-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
[/COLOR]

Just thought I would ask what on earth Pentax not being in Brick and Mortar stores had to do with faulty sensors? And yes it is the fault of Pentax that they are not in retail outlets, they make it almost impossible for retailers to stock their merchandise with their outrageous demands. In my Small Metroplex of nearly 6 million people you can find a Canon or Nikon most anywhere, but not a Pentax in sight.

This thread was about sensors, until you threw out a "Red Herring" about camera stores. Maybe you can stick to the subject at hand?
Regards!
Having a camera store would let you go in, mount your lens and shoot at f22 before you bought the camera, rather than having Amazon, or whoever send you a camera, have you do the same thing, post multiple posts to the pentax forum and then send it back for a refund.
12-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
[/COLOR]

Regards!
Where did I say that it isn't Pentax's fault that they aren't available in retail outlets?
You could perhaps quote from one of my previous posts as an effective answer.

Here's a start for you:

<insert Wheatfield's comment where he said it isn't Pentax's fault that they are not readily available in stores here>

If you can't do that, then you should go back to comprehension school before you make noise about the way people answer posts, thereby adding useless noise of your own.
I find it ironic, and rather sad that in order to accuse one poster about red herrings, you have to set up straw men in an attempt to prove something.
12-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #75
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We're done here.......
closed
Closed Thread