Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Starting point

Let's say you just decided on getting a Pentax DSLR. As an entry level user what would you choose if you had $1500 to spend.

K-7 with 18-135mm (could go with other lenses like 43mm ltd. but talking about a walkaround zoom)

k-5 with 18-55mm

both total around the same price. After looking at the DxO sensor rating k5 is at 82 and k7 at 60 makes me really think the k5.

12-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was pondering the same thing a little while ago...

When the K7 first came out, I said, "I need this." but I did not buy it.

A month or so ago I got dead serious about getting a new camera and I was ready to buy the K7, but then I read the K5 tests on DxO...

I'm waiting another couple weeks, then I'm getting the K5 w/ 18-135WR and 40 Ltd.

The 18-135WR is, IMO, far better than the 18-55. I know if I got the kit lens, I would end up buying the 18-135 anyways... so I might as well save the extra money and only buy one lens

Unfortunately, the body and 18-135 puts you over $1500, but you can always save more money
12-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys just make sure that if you get a K5, you buy it in a brick and mortal store and you TEST it at the store to be sure it's sensor isn't contaminated.

It's an AMAZING camera if you get a clean one.

Pat
12-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh I will be testing the body for sure. I believe that if I am paying $1500 for a body, it should be perfect!

12-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a similar thread here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/125094-k7-good-len...-kit-lens.html

If you are just getting into dSLRs, I'd suggest a K-x plus two nice lenses, such as

DA* 16-50 F2.8 + DA70 Limited
DA* 50-135 F2.8 + DAL 35
etc....

While you may outgrow the K-x in due time, you're not as likely to outgrow good lenses.
12-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
been reading about that sensor issue. seems crazy to spend all that dough and get a marred product. Will look at the link. thanks
12-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should read the recent thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/125094-k7-good-len...-kit-lens.html.

"Good glass is worth every penny".

If you feel that the 18-55mm will not fulfill your needs, do not buy it, and invest in better glass.

Your decision will be motivated by your needs and your shooting. Unless you need the high-ISO, the K-7 is as good as the K-5 and half-price. Another alternative is the K-x. All these cameras are excellent bodies and you will not be disappionted.

The K-5 is the latest camera, and there are excellent users' reports. The K-7 is also an excellent camera with superb handling, viewfinder, WR and low ISO performances. The K-5 does as well but not better for all of these. Then why pay twice the price? The K-x is even cheaper with an excellent high ISO sensor, but it lacks the handling, viewfinder and WR.

I might be biaised, but I would recommend to consider the K-7 unless you intend to shoot with high-ISO. All K-7 users will tell you that the K-7 can perform very well in low light conditions, using different techniques:
- with some in-camera PP, it is possible to get very nice shots either with in-camera PP (see K-7 High ISO Success!)
- with some dedicated noise reduction software like Noiseware and NoiseNinja;
- with some fast prime lens.

All in all, there is no point to get the latest camera body if you do not have good glass.

12-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No brainer. K-5 with 18-55. Then start saving for a better lens. The K-5's sensor is the difference maker. I own a K-7. It takes great pics, but the 3.5 stops of DR advantage at base ISO and the 2 stops of noise advantage at high ISO with the K-5 will trump any lens advantage with the K-7, IMO. Others will most assuredly disagree.

Rob
12-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
new glass can alway be bought. With the k-7 half the price of the k-5 tho, it's a hard choice. I played with a k-7 and the AF seemed sluggish in low light, and the noise was pretty high above iso 800. I guess the q is... is the k-5 twice as good to justify twice the $$$
12-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i second the recommendation to get k-x or k-r, and spend more for lenses. k-7/k-5 is not entry level. k-5 will be "obsolete" in a year or two, just like the k-7 is now. the really good lenses you bought with most of your money won't be. the k-5 sensor is brilliant, but not good enough to justify using it with a crappyer lens rather than a better one on another camera. k-r seems a no-brainer, maybe 17-50/2.8 tamron, and.. stop there. shoot that, and see what you want next (primes or zooms? long or short? etc)

pascal: it is 100 times as good, but who cares? it's only that good if you have the lenses. if you have the lenses which make you happy, and can afford an upgrade, get the k-5, don't think about it, just get it, imho. but if you are starting now, and can only afford k-5+kit, as i said above, it's illogical: go for k-r (or, if the body/ergonomy matter more than high iso crap for you, like for landscape and such, k-7 or k20d used, i'd dare say even k10d if you're not to fussy -- it's still a great camera, some might be amazed), and get some proper glass first.