Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Why does Pentax limit you to 5 exposures when bracketing?

It seems arbitrary... Is there a technical reason? Seems like 7 or 9 exposures like the 5D Mark II is what the K5 deserves...

12-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The question as to why comes to mind...
On the K20D. in most cases I find myself most commonly using 3 to 4.
And if we consider the K-5's phenomenal DR, I suspect that no. will be even less if any at all.
12-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The question as to why comes to mind...
On the K20D. in most cases I find myself most commonly using 3 to 4.
And if we consider the K-5's phenomenal DR, I suspect that no. will be even less if any at all.
Good point John

I am finding 3 as being suitable... I am using it a lot as test and trial and have found that by assigning this option to the RAW button its a breeze to use.. great feature

cheers

Neil
12-11-2010, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a rhetorical question to some degree, since it's only a "limit" if you need more than 5. I personally need more than 5 for my HDR panos (for 3D lighting), but that's a fringe case, and I stick with Pentax because I can also ExpComp two sets of brackets to cover the range I need (and toss the extras).

Notice I said "to cover the range I need" - the number of brackets in the AEB is only part of the equation. Consider this table of AEB by model/mfr which includes the net total ev that those brackets can cover. Pentax is doing quite well in the AEB area, especially given the DR of the sensor and the price of entry compared to an M9 or D3. For some HDRs, sure I'd like to press the shutter once to get 7 or 9 brackets at 3ev steps, but not enough to buy a Canon!

12-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
That's a rhetorical question to some degree, since it's only a "limit" if you need more than 5. I personally need more than 5 for my HDR panos (for 3D lighting), but that's a fringe case, and I stick with Pentax because I can also ExpComp two sets of brackets to cover the range I need (and toss the extras).

Notice I said "to cover the range I need" - the number of brackets in the AEB is only part of the equation. Consider this table of AEB by model/mfr which includes the net total ev that those brackets can cover. Pentax is doing quite well in the AEB area, especially given the DR of the sensor and the price of entry compared to an M9 or D3. For some HDRs, sure I'd like to press the shutter once to get 7 or 9 brackets at 3ev steps, but not enough to buy a Canon!
the chart claims K-x to have max. EV step of 1,5 EV, but I can dial in a -3, 0 and +3 steps in bracketing mode
am I missing something (or the chart)?
12-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
bracketing

i'm thinkin if you need more than 5 you prolly should go back to a compact
12-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
For some HDRs, sure I'd like to press the shutter once to get 7 or 9 brackets at 3ev steps, but not enough to buy a Canon!
For this reason alone, I'd love to have up to 9. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do for Pentax, then again, I am not a firmware guy

Yeah, yeah, I know it is easy to do manually with some Ev comp, but have 9 easily fired off would be sweet.