Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The sensors themselves are almost indistinguishable. The D7000 has a "high iso score" from Dxo Mark of 1167, the K5 has one of 1162. If Dxo repeated the tests, they could easily flip positions, I am sure that difference is within the range of error of their testing ability.

Both cameras are good. I favor Pentax because I own K mount lenses. Why do some people have to run down somebody else's things in order to feel good about their own?

12-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
saying over and over again 'not so good AF'... what an idiot! he surely has the face of a *camera expert*. he's actually doing a disservice to Nikon.

Last edited by causey; 12-10-2010 at 08:38 PM.
12-10-2010, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
I have a friend that acts they same way he doe's, and he was upset that I bought the K5. So we went through the benefits of the K5 to his Nikon and he lost out all the way around with his Nikon. Also have a friend with Canon and is the same, I'm glad I bought the K5 just to show them up.
Yes, but your friend can walk in to any Best Buy, (even Walmart now,) and buy lenses for his Nikon. Can you say that??? NO!!! And don't give me that "Pentax has great primes" arguement. New "modern" lens selection sucks. I didn't have an issue with my K7 itself, it was lack of lenses and poor availability, plus poor p-ttl with an external flash, but thats another story. Pentax is the "Hyundai" of the camera world, good, but never good enough.
12-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
And don't give me that "Pentax has great primes" arguement.
Then please spare us the 'no Pentax modern lenses' too. A little while ago I considered for a moment switching to Nikon, then I thought with Nikon I couldn't have a nice, cheap, excellent collection of primes that covers wide to tele needs. Don't the limiteds look modern enough to you? (To me even the Taks look very modern, but that's another story.) By all means, do shoot your super Canikon zooms.

12-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

What a creepy little video. I think I'd do exactly the opposite of whatever that guy suggested.
12-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Yes, but your friend can walk in to any Best Buy, (even Walmart now,) and buy lenses for his Nikon. Can you say that??? NO!!! And don't give me that "Pentax has great primes" arguement. New "modern" lens selection sucks. I didn't have an issue with my K7 itself, it was lack of lenses and poor availability, plus poor p-ttl with an external flash, but thats another story. Pentax is the "Hyundai" of the camera world, good, but never good enough.
Does Walmart count
I was at Walmart the other night and saw a Kx and two kit lenses in the showcase.
I also found Pentax in the following(other places); Radio Shack, London Drugs, Costco, Futureshop and Wacky Wheatley's. Not to mention most all camera store outlets so that doesn't really work for me tbh.
12-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Nice sig HeavyD! (insert thumbs-up icon)
12-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote

I didn't actually watch the douchebaggy video. In his comparison, did he happen to mention that you can't mount FA Ltds on the D7000? LOL
Just a wild guess (I won't waste my time on the video) but I bet he doesn't really say much about lenses. I'm not buying into the poor lens selection argument. Granted really long telephoto doesn't exist, but everything else is covered by good glass. Canon and Nikon don't offer any lenses that I would take over a Pentax lens.
The K5 is certainly "good enough" whether or not it specs out comparably to any other camera. The video twit doesn't get it that these things are all so good now that for the vast majority of people, they will all be more than adequate, and so as always, it comes down to the glass.
Pentax glass is still better.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 12-10-2010 at 09:26 PM.
12-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Who cares??
Maybe we like Hyundais XDD..
I got pentax because it was the best body i could afford, and i had the perspective of good old cheap lenses...that is no more (seen that the pentax glass price has gone up) but i still got a great camera that delivers more that the ones from Canon or Nikon that i could afford...and i'm happy with it..
You got every possible focal length covered by fine lenses...what more do you need?? sure there ain't so many cheap, good quality, "conformist" lenses and you can't go to wallmart an buy (i wouldn't since i hate it but that is just me..) but who cares! if my needs are covered and i'm able to grow as a photographer that's all i need.
(And that is just partially true since there are 3rd party lens manufacturers that cover pentax's gaps...)

And just out of curiosity why do you need two similar cameras from two different systems?? wasn't it better to spend the money of one of those and it's lenses in great/good lenses of the other system? do you find any pleasure in jumping from a system to another (since the 3 cameras seem similar to me, counting the k7..but i may well be a petty ignorant...)
12-10-2010, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Is this a bad time to note that I own two Hyundais, '02 and '03, that have not cost me a dollar for maintenance? It is? Never mind .....
12-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, we get it, for the 97th time (isn't that what your post count is?)... Pentax sucks.

As for walmart, this speaks volumes of the mentality in that place.

Best Buy isn't much better.

Enjoy your nikon and canon. We'll enjoy our Pentax's.

12-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

It's not even worth getting riled up about. It's just a random person saying random things on youtube. I could post a video comparing the K-5 unfavorably to a ham sandwich if I wanted (while the K-5 did not get soggy with time, it nevertheless had a metallic aftertaste that left me disappointed considering the ridiculous premium the Pentax costs over your average ham sandwich).
12-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
It's not even worth getting riled up about. It's just a random person saying random things on youtube. I could post a video comparing the K-5 unfavorably to a ham sandwich if I wanted (while the K-5 did not get soggy with time, it nevertheless had a metallic aftertaste that left me disappointed considering the ridiculous premium the Pentax costs over your average ham sandwich).
You post might have made me hungry had I not seen the image directly above your post.
12-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Waiter, there are spots on my ham sandwich!
12-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #45

Hey I saw that video also and was actually convinced Mainly because I wanted to upgrade my k-x and k-5 is just too much for my budget. k-7 was an option but low iso is a turnoff for me. (probably will get the k-7 though) k-r wasn't justified enough for me. Hence, I was actually thinking about switching over to Nikon and picking up a d90.

I stopped by a bestbuy and found that the d90's build is horrible even compared to my k-x. The ergonomics just simply suck. Long story short, checking out the d90 reassured my investment in Pentax. I gotta say that I do love pentax's scroll wheel compared to both canon's and nikon's. Man I love pentax!