Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Nikon pronounces it that way (long I) in their own commercials. Do they not in other parts of the world?
In Australia we pronounce it NIC-KON.

Based on the Japanese Pentax ad, it looks like I should change my pronunciation from PEN-TAX (equal stress on both syllables) to PEN-TACKS, but I think people will give me a funny look if I speak that way.

Perhaps we need to speak Japanese words like the announcer in the the Japanese version of Iron Chef does, which seems pretty "over the top" to me.

Dan.

12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote

Based on the Japanese Pentax ad, it looks like I should change my pronunciation from PEN-TAX (equal stress on both syllables) to PEN-TACKS, but I think people will give me a funny look if I speak that way.

Perhaps we need to speak Japanese words like the announcer in the the Japanese version of Iron Chef does, which seems pretty "over the top" to me.

Dan.
So I assume that your tv commercials for Nikon pronounce it that way, too? That's kind of funny to me that a company would pronounce it's own name differently in different English-speaking countries. Presumably, there's only one correct way. Just pronounce it that way and let the populace adapt. I assure you that we Americans are not pronouncing it with a long I just to thumb our nose at the rest of the world, that's just what we've been taught.
12-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #93
Pentaxian

So I assume that your tv commercials for Nikon pronounce it that way, too?
Don't know. Haven't seen any offical Nikon camera TV ads here, just retailers referring to it. (Don't watch much commercial television.) Seen plenty of official Canon ads.

Dan.
12-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote

Dan.
I wouldn't pay too close attention to the enunciation in that ad. The narrator has a distinctive way of speaking that is quite common to advertisements, greatly emphasizing keywords, but is not in any way indicative of how Japanese people "normally" speak. Particularly obvious is the way he greatly exaggerates the timing on the geminated consonant represented by the "double k" in "pe-n-ta-kku-su" (ペンタックス).

Speak that way to a Japanese person in a normal conversation, and I guarantee they will look at you just as strangely as an English speaker.

As for "Nikon" (ニコン), the closest "equivalent" to it in English would be "knee-kong", with the 'o' in "kong" pronounced close to as in "cone". Listen to it here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Nikon.ogg

Last edited by Cannikin; 12-16-2010 at 01:40 PM.
12-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #95
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That just shows the diversity we have the world round.
Good thing the product is the same everywhere or there'd be mayhem.
Nikon worried? No way.
Nikon sales people worried? Why? Just suggest to them that they should stock some Pentax gear and problem solved!

Last edited by Ash; 12-17-2010 at 05:28 AM.
12-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Presumably, there's only one correct way
It really doesn't matter that much but Nikon is an acronym of Nippon Kogaku and in Japanese is pronounced "Ni-kon" = Knee-Con, mute K, as Neepon; only some Anglo-saxonic people (to my knowledge) say it as "Nai-kon", which sounds wrong and certainly not within the Japanese pronunciation.

BTW, how do we pronounce EeePC? Maybe Nikon should change it's name to "Neekon". It would be a major upgrade to our Tardoftheimage friend.
12-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #97
Veteran Member

That's what I was thinking. Nikon pronounces it that way (long I) in their own commercials. Do they not in other parts of the world?
Well if you're going by Japanese pronunciation, which is where the company originates, then it's pronounced "Nee-kon". Here's a Japanese advert for the D90.

12-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Nikon D7000 has something that the K5 doesn't...

HOT PIXELS THAT CAN'T BE MAPPED OUT IN CAMERA

sorry, the devil made me say that , but it would annoy the heck out of me if i had a new D7000 and realized that the K5 had features reserved for top of the line Nikons, e.g. multiple image merging, better hdr options, quieter shutter, etc.
12-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Well, unfortunately, I'd say the ship has sailed on the American pronunciation. NI-kon has become so much a part of the American vernacular that if you tried to start pronouncing it the correct way people would look at you as if: a)you're insane, or b) you're a pretentious a**hole.

It reminds me of the word Porsche, except that at least some percentage of the American public does recognize that as a two-syllable word. Plus, Porsche themselves are not mis-pronouncing it in their commercials.
12-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
... I assure you that we Americans are not pronouncing it with a long I just to thumb our nose at the rest of the world, that's just what we've been taught.
Yeah, it is all Paul Simon's fault!
12-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Nikon D7000 has something that the K5 doesn't...

HOT PIXELS THAT CAN'T BE MAPPED OUT IN CAMERA

And the K-5 has something the D7000 hasn't ... stains on the sensor that cannot be cleaned.

What a ridiculous thread .. a lot of posters here are as bad as the bloke in the video, just running down Nikon to justify their own brand of camera.

I thought Pentax owners were better than this but it seems not.
12-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #102
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take it easy, kids.
We're keen on the same thing: good gear and good photography.
So let's play fair.
Not much in it between the D7000 and K-5, particularly having the same sensor, but the thread's more about how sales may be affected between them.
12-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I need a camera that can autofocus
because he can't manual focus to save his life....

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 12-17-2010 at 05:36 AM.
12-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Yes, but your friend can walk in to any Best Buy, (even Walmart now,) and buy lenses for his Nikon. Can you say that??? NO!!! And don't give me that "Pentax has great primes" arguement. New "modern" lens selection sucks. I didn't have an issue with my K7 itself, it was lack of lenses and poor availability, plus poor p-ttl with an external flash, but thats another story. Pentax is the "Hyundai" of the camera world, good, but never good enough.
Funny since Hyundai is kicking Honda's butt in most ratings and reviews these days. And yes, I do own a Hyundai and it's twice the car of any Honda I ever owned.
12-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
And the K-5 has something the D7000 hasn't ... stains on the sensor that cannot be cleaned.

What a ridiculous thread .. a lot of posters here are as bad as the bloke in the video, just running down Nikon to justify their own brand of camera.

I thought Pentax owners were better than this but it seems not.
What are you - the Nikon politically correct police? I don't see any problem with poking a little fun at an obviously biased "reviewer". We're not the ones passing ourselves off as some sort of official reviewers by creating a youtube vide.

After all, it does say PENTAX on the front of these forums. If you can't be positive about Pentax in the Pentax forums - where can you be?

Frankly, the hot pixels not being mapped by Nikon is a big issue for me, the stain not any kind of issue. Why? Because Pentax is replacing the Pentax K5's with the defective glass. Nikon can't really do that because hot pixels increase over time with camera ownership - i absolutely dislike unnecessary maintenance items that require the camera be shipped into a maintenance center for weeks at a time.

If you think the D7000 is such a great camera - go buy one. I'm saving my money for the K5.