Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax marketing should get a kick in the @$$

i got this email today from pentax.
talks about the pentax family, optio's, kr's and k5's

and this is the description of the k5

"The new PENTAX K-5 digital SLR took its first photos this fall and hasn't stopped capturing incredible images since (it's a little obsessive). This compact, advanced digital SLR is loaded with features for the passionate photographer. You can see the family resemblance to its predecessor, the K-7. But with a 7 FPS frame rate and enhanced focus performance, the K-5 is even faster. It has a new 16.28 megapixel sensor that gives it a wide sensitivity range from ISO 80 to 12800. It's also one of the smallest weather-sealed digital SLRs in its class."

ISO 80 to 12800?
how much more confusion do they intend to send to would-be pentaxians?
even if 25600 and 51200 ISO are expanded, the very least they could have done is MENTION IT!

12-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What are the other, smaller, weather-sealed SLRs in the K-5's class?
12-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ugh...I hope this wan't from their new agency. It's got the distinct feeling that it was written by someone that's not a photographer but instead cribbed it together from notes taken at a meeting with Pentax corporate...
12-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
but even looking at the spec sheet would give them a clue. and if they were paying any attention to the launch fiasco with wrong info on the literature they were handing out, they sure haven't learned their lesson. someone's got to take control of fact checking, or the person who is needs what the OP suggests!

12-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i got this email today from pentax.
and this is the description of the k5

a wide sensitivity range from ISO 80 to 12800. It's also one of the smallest weather-sealed digital SLRs in its class."

ISO 80 to 12800?
even if 25600 and 51200 ISO are expanded, the very least they could have done is MENTION IT!
Especially since 80 is the EXPANDED range on the low end. That is, they mentioned the expanded low ISO but didn't mention the corresponding expanded range on the high ISO end. Bizarre.
12-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote

ISO 80 to 12800?
Maybe they are just being modest?
12-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A copywriter goofed. The Pentax employee approving the piece goofed - perhaps a marketing person not (yet) as familiar with the specs as the serious enthusiast.

I often see typos, incomprehensible sentences, extraordinarily poor grammar, errors of fact, etc. in the Web sites and printed literature of US-based IT suppliers. It's endemic and, when frequent, shows a poor approach to QA.

But I'm not about to kick anyone in any particular place because an email had an error. Heck, this one probably does!
12-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's face it....we are stuck with a Corporation that doesn't have a clue about Marketing. They have a Great Camera in the K5, far superior to the Nikon D7K in the opinion of many.....maybe most, and while we all know it, it seems that Hoya hasn't figured it out yet?
I hate to say this, but it does come to mind..."You Can't Fix Stupid".
Best Regards!

12-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Let's face it....we are stuck with a Corporation that doesn't have a clue about Marketing. They have a Great Camera in the K5, far superior to the Nikon D7K in the opinion of many.....maybe most, and while we all know it, it seems that Hoya hasn't figured it out yet?
I hate to say this, but it does come to mind..."You Can't Fix Stupid".
Best Regards!
I think you're pretty much on the button, there. There really are a lot of benefits we enjoy out of dealing with a company and brand that has a pretty darn high substance/marketing ratio, but some things, if you're going to do at all, do it right. It doesn't say 'competence' when you can't even cite your own good specs.

An for Gossakes put up awesome photos when you release something.
12-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think you're pretty much on the button, there. There really are a lot of benefits we enjoy out of dealing with a company and brand that has a pretty darn high substance/marketing ratio, but some things, if you're going to do at all, do it right. It doesn't say 'competence' when you can't even cite your own good specs.

An for Gossakes put up awesome photos when you release something.
+1. that email just doesn't sound very enthusiastic and like someone else said, you can read it off the spec sheet. If i wrote it, i'd be raving about its world class dynamic range of 14+ ev. Being the 8th dslr in that class of dynamic range is something to shout about, and showing in pics. I just don't get any confidence that the writer ever had tried this out on his own.