Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

HDMI Out Port

Is there an HDMI out port on the K5? Is it micro or regular? I would like to use my tv as a live view screen for the K5 when I get it, so I'm just wondering if the HDMI cord I have is enough or if I need to buy a micro-HDMI adapter. Thanks for the help!

12-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
Is there an HDMI out port on the K5? Is it micro or regular? I would like to use my tv as a live view screen for the K5 when I get it, so I'm just wondering if the HDMI cord I have is enough or if I need to buy a micro-HDMI adapter. Thanks for the help!
It's micro. When hooked up to a Full HD LCD TV and using Live View works just fine. Great for Macro particularly with the magnification in LV.

I bought a micro to standard conversion lead and selector box kit to connect to the standard HDMI cable for the TV.

David
12-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I figured as much. I'll have to check adorama for one since thats where I'm getting everything else, if theres isn't a reasonable one though I'll just head to target or best buy. Thanks for the quick answer!
12-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Monoprice is your friend (edited for correct connector type): http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10242&cs_id=1024201

- Jason

Last edited by inferno10; 12-13-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: The K-5 uses a mini-HDMI cable, not micro-HDMI
12-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even better than target or best buy. Thanks, I hadn't heard of them before.
12-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You need the mini type C. Works fine. Made a little movie about it, used a fieldmonitor, but using a large TV is for me also a way of selecting pictures.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLILkmN94o[/YT]

The problem in moviemode during recording is to adress at the time with setting your screen to 4:3 mode. You get black bars to the sides.
12-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You need the mini type C. Works fine. Made a little movie about it, used a fieldmonitor, but using a large TV is for me also a way of selecting pictures.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLILkmN94o[/YT]

The problem in moviemode during recording is to adress at the time with setting your screen to 4:3 mode. You get black bars to the sides.
Hi Ron, could you post details of your Field Monitor setup. I've never heard of them but they look like a great idea.

Thanks,

David
12-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually,

I think the HDMI port is most useful for products like these:

Redrock Micro - microEVF

LCDeVF

Welcome to CINEROID

12-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Falk, I will investigate. Just what I need, something to compete with LBA

Merry Xmas,

David
12-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a question, keeping in mind I know nothing of this kind of set up.

Is it possible to connect the K5 to a Notebook computer so I can view the shots I take, say in a Studio setting, instantly...or perhaps in Live View before I actually take the shot? This would be much better for my eyes than the tiny screen on the K5...or any other camera . If this is possible, what do I need for a connection and operation of such a set up?
Best Regards!
12-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have a question, keeping in mind I know nothing of this kind of set up.

Is it possible to connect the K5 to a Notebook computer so I can view the shots I take, say in a Studio setting, instantly...or perhaps in Live View before I actually take the shot? This would be much better for my eyes than the tiny screen on the K5...or any other camera . If this is possible, what do I need for a connection and operation of such a set up?
Best Regards!
Hi Rupert, I doubt that the Notebook idea will work. I have a notebook, laptop and multimedia computer (Toshiba G50). None of them will accept video or HDMI input, whereas they all allow output. The answer seems to be the Field Monitor setup shown above, or one of the gadgets Falk suggested.

If you are in a studio situation a good Full HDTV would also seem to solve your problem. I hook my camera to a 32" TV and use Live View, it's great. Also you can see all camera LCD displays on the TV, including image playback. Great for macro.

Merry Xmas

David
12-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Is it possible to connect the K5 to a Notebook computer so I can view the shots I take, say in a Studio setting, instantly...or perhaps in Live View before I actually take the shot?
Yes but you need a video capture device for your notebook.

An example of such a device is $199 Intensity Shuttle.

Note: For legal reasons HDMI input is unable to capture from copy protected HDMI sources.
(there is always a chance Pentax by mistake sets the protection bit in their HDMI output)

Disclaimer: I have no experience with the above setup!
12-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

And then there magnifiers, that can be attached to your backscreen like the Zacuto Z-Finder or the Hoodman 3.0 no hdmi used.

And there is a thing from zacuto that operates on the HDMI cable, wich is basicly a little bigger backscreen, 3,2 inch in 16:9 format, connected with HDMI and to view with the Z-finder.
Z-Finder EVF | Zacuto

As to the fieldmonitor there are several types. I bought mine at Touchscreen monitoren en Compacte LCD monitoren | BeeTronics but you have alsoo Liliputter and several different brands. Some more expencive then others and different of quality.
12-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

So let me see if I get this right...I can connect to a HDTV and see what I am about to shoot and then see it when it has been shot all in real time? If so, this would answer my desire to view something closer to a processed image than on the camera LCD.
Just a connecting wire needed? Anything else?
Best Regards! & Thanks!
12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
Inactive Account

So let me see if I get this right...I can connect to a HDTV and see what I am about to shoot and then see it when it has been shot all in real time? If so, this would answer my desire to view something closer to a processed image than on the camera LCD.
Just a connecting wire needed? Anything else?
Best Regards! & Thanks!
That's all you need. All you are doing is using the HDTV as an extension device just as if you connected a RGB monitor to your K20d via that little cable they give that plugs into the USB output on the camera. The TV shows everything you can see on your LCD. There's just no way to save the image via Tethering like you can do with the K10/20. I tried connecting my K7 to my laptop HDMI port and it did nothing. I see no reason that the K5 would have changed in that respect.

There's a K-x tethering thread floating around here where some guy has written a utility to allow tethering of some sort with a K-x, supposedly works with other cameras as well. I haven't followed the thread since it's first day though.