Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k5 and AF- 540FGZ flash.

Hi everyone. I have a af-540fgz flash that I tried on my k5 for the first time and can only get it to work in the A mode. TTL does not work and I don't get a P-TTL option. Also the auto zoom does not seem to work. Am I missing something obvious? I am sure all these things worked on my K7.
Thanks
James.

12-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

What kind of lens are you using?

12-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm using the da16/50
12-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The only things I can think of is either the Flash isn't making full contact with the camera or the lens isn't. The only time I'm ever unable to select P-TTL (or the flash doesn't default to it) is when I'm using a manual lens such as the M50 f1:1.4. I'm assuming you checked all that though. The exact same combo is working fine here.

That's why I asked which lens.

12-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Hi everyone. I have a af-540fgz flash that I tried on my k5 for the first time and can only get it to work in the A mode. TTL does not work and I don't get a P-TTL option. Also the auto zoom does not seem to work. Am I missing something obvious? I am sure all these things worked on my K7.
Thanks
James.
You may not have gone through the routine to set the flash/camera combination. It starts with turning both the camera and flash off, then mount the flash, turn on the flash, turn on the camera. There is a page of how to do it in the manual - it took me a while to get things going because of the known ability of the flash to jam in the hot shoe with the safety locking pin. I only use the flash wirelessly so I had to set the wireless channel etc.
12-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff.
Tried those things but looking at the hot shoe on the camera I see I have 4 silver contacts. The left front hole is empty. Is that normal?
12-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Yes. There is a pin on the 540 (and other) flash shoe that when you twist the lock, drops down into that hole to lock the flash on. The flash doesn't actually friction lock on to the shoe like other flashes do, only that pin keeps it from sliding off.

12-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's the hole for the locking pin, it is normal. Jeff, the lens does in fact friction lock as well as the pin. Check it with the stand that came with it that has no hole for the pin. Many others on the forum have disabled the locking pin, but I'm such a klutz that I would probably ruin the flash if I tried it.
12-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Sparwood.
Tried that and still no joy.
Thanks.
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That's the hole for the locking pin, it is normal. Jeff, the flash does in fact friction lock as well as the pin. Check it with the stand that came with it that has no hole for the pin. Many others on the forum have disabled the locking pin, but I'm such a klutz that I would probably ruin the flash if I tried it.
Then why does it wobble on top of the shoe? That's true of the 540 and the 360 on the K10, K20, K7, and K5. The Metz 58 I just bought doesn't do that. The stand is buried in the box somewhere. I wouldn't need it to lock on to the stand anyway as it would be stationary. And no, nothing is broken.

12-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I had the same problem with my k10d and k7. The p-ttl system sucks. The e-ttl II on my 40d is much better
12-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

James

I need to ask the obvious just in case you have overlooked.

Is the mode setting on the flash set to P-TTL and not A mode?

Is the zoom setting on the flash unit set to auto mode and not manual mode.

Flash unit should be showing P-TTL A zoom

cheers

Neil
12-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This sounds trivial, but the last time it happened to me - no P-TTL, no Zoom etc. I took out the flash batteries, and replaced it with a fresh lot - and everything came back working fine.

After checking, the previous set of batteries wasn't flat, so I still can't figure out what really went wong
12-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Neil.
I was not getting the option of P-TTL when pushing the mode button but I took kittykats suggestion and changed batteries and also played with the m/c/s button and everything works now! I don't know what did it but thanks everyone.
12-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Then why does it wobble on top of the shoe? That's true of the 540 and the 360 on the K10, K20, K7, and K5. The Metz 58 I just bought doesn't do that. The stand is buried in the box somewhere. I wouldn't need it to lock on to the stand anyway as it would be stationary. And no, nothing is broken.

Jeff - my 540 sits solidly on the hot shoe of my K10 (I just tried it) without even moving the locking lever. No wobble to speak of at all. I even had difficulty lining it up to get it in the shoe, the clearance is so little, and I'm out of practice mounting flashes on hot shoes. Once it was in it was firm as could be. I didn't turn the locking lever because I don't feel like performing surgery on my expensive equipment to get the flash off if the pin does get stuck. When I turn the locking lever off camera, the lever comes right down to the foot of the flash with no clearance at all. I cannot remove it from the flash foot stand if I turn the lever to the locking position. I can only speak to my AF540FGZ and K10d, of course, but it's solid as a rock.