Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks A Lot!

Thanks to all of you early adopters of the K5. I meant it! Thanks a lot! Now I have to save up to get one! Arrrggghhh!

For K20D users, I know the K5 is smaller but how small is small? I find the K20D to fit my hands and long fingers just right so I'm a little concerned about its "smaller" size. Also, does the K5 + grip make up some of the difference? Just asking.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 12-12-2010 at 03:07 PM.
12-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a grip with my K20D for the second battery and to have a second SD card and the remote control.

I didn't buy a grip for the K-7, because the camera is so small and yet ergonomic, even for long fingers, the grip is more expensive, the remote control has no place in it, my SD card is big enough (32 GB) and the battery last a week. So why have a bigger and heavier camera ?
12-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I shot the K10D for 3 years before switching to the K-7/K-5 body. No question it feels a bit smaller, but I personally found it to fit my hand better. It's not that I found the K10D/K20D body too big, it's just I preferred the feel of the K-7/K-5. I also tried the grip for the K-7 and didn't care for it, personally. I preferred the feel without the grip (though I know some people feel the opposite). Plus, as fs999 said, the grip is fairly expensive, doesn't hold the remote/card and adds weight and bulk without adding comfort (in my case).
12-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Whoa! You're from Billings? I had no clue that anybody from Billings would be on here! I live in Colstrip, if you're familiar with where it is...

Oh yeah, btw, I have the grip for K-7 and now I would never go back... If you only use small lenses then there would be no reason to have the grip but with heavier lenses, the grip really lowers the center of gravity.

12-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't own a K-5 (yet!) but have been looking at it. I was temped by the K-7 but thought it too small. I am a K10/20 user (without grip). However, I recently gave a K-5 a test - it felt too small for me until I had the store put on the grip. It made the camera magic for me! It gave it a feel that while different than the K10/20, just made it feel perfect. Now I have to save up for the grip as well as the camera! I would highly recommend the grip.
12-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's too bad there are no brick and mortar stores in Billings where we could try one out. I guess I'll just have to buy it and try it when the time comes.

Why yes ubuntu, I am indeed from Billings. Back in the day I used to fly in and out of the old Montana Power air strip in Colstrip long before the new airport was built. I've been a Pentaxian since 1965 and I shoot mostly around Billings and Yellowstone.