Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the only k-7/k-5 "design" bug

i have had my k-5 for about a month (now in for replacement).

when the k-7 came out, i was one of the few "weird" ones pointing out that polycarbonates are simply better for shells, and metal alloys are simply outdated. everybody wants magnesium alloy. i can't figure out why?

the k-5/k-7 feels great, i come from a k20d, and i feared it would be small for me (especially as i have been using the grip on the k20d now for a while). it is small, yeah. but they designed it well, i don't mind a bit. very impressive. however.. it's COLD! the difference from my "decadent" polycarbonate body k20d is immense. my hand will freeze on this thing instantly. and i only had the time to use it for short periods, in mild sub zero temperatures in the city and nearby (i normally go to the mountains, where it's a whole different story). i am also worried this will affect battery life in the cold, as the battery will drop in temperature much quicker (but that reamains to be seen), the k20d is doing very well in the cold btw (except some weird (few) deffective units, which showed banding in bellow zero temperatures, but that's a different story), i can conffidently say that the "-10 resistant" rating for the k-7 was merely a formality for pentax (and probably not only), a nice one at that, though.

any "cold weather" shooters here feeling the same?

--
nanok-my-k20d-isn't-going-anywhere-soon

12-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it has been winter here for a while now. I would say that my K-5 has been below -10C for half of the month that I have had it. No problems noted. I just wear gloves when handling in the winter.

Jack
12-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I certainly don't have your kind of winters being here on the ocean, but its been below freezing for about 5 of the last 7 days. I use hunting gloves with grip surface, finger holes and little zipper pockets on the back of the glove made for small heaters. My point is your battery more than your hands so I keep a battery in the back of each glove since they seem to die quickly in below 0c temps.

Guess I never went out bare-handed and noticed the diff between my k20d and k-5.
12-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, it gets cold. But still, its built to stand the cold to.

The lenses however is another story. They get really really cold

12-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #5

Can't compare to k20 but i had no problems using k5 in sub zero temps barehanded. and yes you should keep your spare batteries in inside pocket of your jacket.
12-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
S_V
Inactive Account

У меня не было проблем с k-20d на морозе -32 часов 6-8!!!!Главное избегать конденсата!