Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 questions

I used to be a pro years ago before digital, when I decided to get into digital I was looking at Nikon and a guy at the pro camera store I used to use suggested I try Pentax. I bought a K100D thinking I would not ever get back into pro photography again. I loved the camera and got great photos with it but destroyed it on a Grand Canyon raft trip. I then bought a K20D, love it. Now I am thinking about going pro once more so here is my question. I have noticed some focus problems when shooting sports with my K20D, also in low light, not bad and I can work around them but they do cause me to miss a shot or two once in a while, or I will just go manual. Has the K5 fixed the problems to a satisfactory level? Also I may have missed it but on the Pentax site I can not tell if there is a battery grip for the K5, does the one for the K7 work on it? Lastly I have noticed while looking for after market items such as flash triggers that Nikon and Canon seem to have more choices, are there any good triggers for the Pentax system. I looked at Cowboy Studio they are inexpensive and I wonder if anyone has tried them? I would appreciate any advice in this area. I really would like to continue with Pentax. Oh yeah I would love to hear opinions on the K5 and low light. I did look as some of the photos on this thread and they look good, what about hi iso like above 6400. Thanks

12-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Sifu Quote
Has the K5 fixed the problems to a satisfactory level?
Over the K20D, the K-5 is vastly improved as far as auto-focus performance. Especially in low-light.

Also I may have missed it but on the Pentax site I can not tell if there is a battery grip for the K5, does the one for the K7 work on it?
Yes

Lastly I have noticed while looking for after market items such as flash triggers that Nikon and Canon seem to have more choices, are there any good triggers for the Pentax system.
Most Pentax flash triggers are really either Nikon or Canon ones with the appropriate wiring. My own experiments in that area were frustrating, others may have a better story.
12-13-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-5 is everything the K20D is not
Try one and it will leave you giddy with excitement.
As for ISO6400(in RAW), the K-5 performs like the K20D does at ISO2500.

As for the triggers, the best low cost alternatives I've found next to the Pocket Wizards or Flash Wave models were the infamous Cactus flash systems by Gadget Infinity. Which have received a substantial amount of video reviews on Youtube etc. so you might want to check those out when you get the chance.

Anyways, The K-5 low light performance is top notch and bar none the best Pentax has ever had. My advice to you would be to head out to your local store and try one out for yourself.

PS. bring a blank card with you
12-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you choose to use generic non-TTL trigger there are many reliable options. If you need TTL and normal wireless flash provided by the Pentax system does not provide satisfactory reach, I heard there is a way to transmit the P-TTL optical signals over radio. See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/15824-rad...tll-flash.html

12-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the information. I decided to pull the trigger and get a K5, the 50-135 star lens, the reviews sounded good. I already have the 16-45 da which I really love and the 55-300 da. Both good lenses however I am interested in the water resistant feature and hoping the star lens has even greater clarity. Thanks again for the info. Oh yeah could not find a K5 to try anywhere around where I live so had to go for the reccomendations and reviews.
01-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I decided to order the radio trigger from Cowboy studio, I got the transmitter and three receivers, they are quite inexpensive especially compared to the brand names I saw. Of course they only work manually no PTTL but they do work well. I took the camera two rooms away and the flashes still fired even throught the walls. I have only gone about a hunderd feet in distance but they work there too. So far I am happy expecially with the price. One transmitter and receiver is around 28 bucks and each seperate receiver is under 20 bucks. I am happy so far we will see how they hold up.
01-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

Alien Bee

I haven't had any problem with the Alien Bee triggers....they call them Cybersync.

01-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Cactus Flash and four receivers, and haven't had any problems of major importance. In a studio setting they are near perfect, although they are full manual operation.

Every shot here was with the Cactus Flash.........disregard the flaws in the shooting, I am a pure learning amateur, and no Pro by any means, but the idea is that every flash fired with the Cactus Flash......and they are cheap!
Best Regards & Good Luck!
Lacie - a set on Flickr
Shelby - a set on Flickr
01-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Stunning work!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I use the Cactus Flash and four receivers, and haven't had any problems of major importance. In a studio setting they are near perfect, although they are full manual operation.

Every shot here was with the Cactus Flash.........disregard the flaws in the shooting, I am a pure learning amateur, and no Pro by any means, but the idea is that every flash fired with the Cactus Flash......and they are cheap!
Best Regards & Good Luck!
Lacie - a set on Flickr
Shelby - a set on Flickr
Great portraits!