Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
As the greatest thespian of our time, Charlie Sheen, says:

"We're dealing with fools and trolls".

My K-5? WINNING.
Could you imagine if Charlie Sheen and Lindsey Lohan ever got together and produced offspring??????

03-08-2011, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #62

With due respect Tom S., it seems to me that you are writing certain things as if they are factual and true, and I disagree:

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
People aren't being ridiculed for not wanting to spend their money on a flawed product. They are being ridiculed for not giving the manufacture a chance to fix an issue on a part that was made by an entirely different manufacturer. People are blaming Pentax for a part made by Sony.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Pentax is stuck trying to rectify a crappy situation that was the result of someone else's manufacturing problems.
I have not seen or read of any evidence that confirms if either Pentax or Sony assembled the sensor and filter glass in front of the sensor. We do know (or make an educated assumption) that some (contaminated?) fluid/solvent between the sensor and "filters" is responsible for the stains. What if Sony only ships the sensor and Pentax assembles its proprietary "filters" onto the sensor. So, knowing that the sensor was made by Sony does not mean that Sony is to blame, and to categorically absolve Pentax of responsibility is wrong as well. On top of that, why does Nikon's D7000 not have this "stain" issue? [Edit:] It's using the same sensor made by Sony, and incorporates "filters" in front of it too. Nay, Nikon has hot-pixel issues, and by your reasoning, it would be Sony's fault.
Anyway, in the end it is Pentax that is selling the K-5!

Likewise with the focus issue. We do not know if it is firmware, hardware or a combination of both. We don't know if the focusing module and related parts were made by someone else, or if the coding for the firmware was outsourced, else in-house. Once again, it is Pentax that is selling the K-5.

How about the old issue of motors for SDM lenses? They are most likely manufactured by another party, shipped to Pentax and then assembled by Pentax. Does that absolve Pentax of responsibility? Pentax is selling the SDM lenses.

The "buck" has to stop somewhere. Someone has to take responsibility, and no matter how you spin it, it will be Pentax/Hoya. Somewhere, along this arduous journey, Pentax will have to deal with whatever consequences arise. If Sony shares responsibility, then Pentax will have to use their own corporate mechanisms to resolve this.

From the various forums I subscribe to, I've become aware that many good people are starting to express their doubts in their choice of system. They are not the majority, but they could easily be the demographic that will become the next symbol of Pentax's damaged image, if Pentax/Hoya does not deal with this soon. The frustration you are so sick and tired of is the very symptom of this. Just alone the polarization between forum members should be a clue. And a large part of this frustration is the lack of some transparency.

But what do I know...despite having some "disposable" income, waiting to be spent on a K-5 or another brand. Time will tell, won't it.

Last edited by Catalana; 03-08-2011 at 07:53 PM.
03-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 (and the more-than-5 characters needed to post)
03-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #64

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
But what do I know...despite having some "disposable" income, waiting to be spent on a K-5 or another brand. Time will tell, won't it.
This is the most important part of your post. Indeed, time will tell, and in the mean time, whining over and over, or making threats to go buy something else won't change a thing.

Regarding the sensor, whoever it to blame, Pentax, Sony, the Pope, Charlie Sheen, it doesn't really matter. Pentax is working to resolve the issue. What more would people like them to do? If Pentax denied the problem existed, or told people "tough crap - take it up with Sony", I could see basis for the whining and gnashing of teeth.

What puzzles me the most is the majority of whining isn't coming from owners, it's coming from people who don't own one. If someone is concerned about buying one, then for God's sake, go buy something else! If I have concerns about a product, I don't bemoan the thing, I go elsewhere.

03-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #65

Well, with a few more weeks to evaluate the latest firmware update (v1.03) responses, there is a good chance that some of my "disposable" income will end up with the purchase of a K-5.

I write this with guarded optimism and relief. It would leave me with an upgrade path, and the benefits of being able to use accessories and batteries along with my K-7 (something I value quite a bit). I just wonder how I'm going to manage carrying a K-x, K-7 and K-5 around my neck .