Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

From the factory? I doubt

12-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I believe that Amateur Photographer is regarded as a reputable source that would not print unfounded rumors. So, I take this to mean that Pentax will correct the problem forthwith.

Rob
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

We know this as somebody in PF inform us about that yesterday
12-14-2010, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Official Statement from Ned Bunnell

I've been in touch with Ned Bunnell concerning the stain issue and he kindly made a statement for my K-5 review. You can read it here:

The K-5 Sensor Stains

12-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #35
Veteran Member

How very Pentax...

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I've been in touch with Ned Bunnell concerning the stain issue and he kindly made a statement for my K-5 review. You can read it here:

The K-5 Sensor Stains

I think every branch tells something different...
In Holland people were told to return it through their store... and after checking that it really is string (I do not believe hey have the resources to swap every camera with dus as well so they really want to check that), they are to be sent a replacement body. Not a repair as Ned says...

It may have something to with the time frame, they probably could not handle it when everybody sends in their K-5 at the same time, they probably want it in batches.

In the long run the quickest way may indeed be a rapair but then Pentax need more separate sensor units so for now, replacement may be the quickest option with affected bodies to go in storage and to be fixed later.
12-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thumbs up Ned (& Mis)!
12-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I think every branch tells something different...
In Holland people were told to return it through their store... and after checking that it really is string (I do not believe hey have the resources to swap every camera with dus as well so they really want to check that), they are to be sent a replacement body. Not a repair as Ned says...

It may have something to with the time frame, they probably could not handle it when everybody sends in their K-5 at the same time, they probably want it in batches.

In the long run the quickest way may indeed be a rapair but then Pentax need more separate sensor units so for now, replacement may be the quickest option with affected bodies to go in storage and to be fixed later.
Every country has its own Pentax distributor and will deal with this issue in the way they find more efficient. The larger the market, the more complications there will be, and the US is probably the largest single market outside Japan.

What makes it more difficult to return the K-5 here in the USA is that most people buy them from online retailers, most of which (any of them?) are not equipped to test each single K-5 before shipping it to make sure they're not sending out more stained units. Those in the USA who bought their K-5 from a local, physical store can certainly go in, talk to the sales people and get a replacement without stains if the store has any in stock. The onus will then be on the store to return their stained units to Pentax for replacement.

12-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Every country has its own Pentax distributor and will deal with this issue in the way they find more efficient. The larger the market, the more complications there will be, and the US is probably the largest single market outside Japan.

What makes it more difficult to return the K-5 here in the USA is that most people buy them from online retailers, most of which (any of them?) are not equipped to test each single K-5 before shipping it to make sure they're not sending out more stained units. Those in the USA who bought their K-5 from a local, physical store can certainly go in, talk to the sales people and get a replacement without stains if the store has any in stock. The onus will then be on the store to return their stained units to Pentax for replacement.

Well. It depends if you count EU as a market Pentax certainly does and e.g., while their HQ is in Paris and their website is in Hamburg, their warehouse is in Brussels. One EU, three countries.

You're right with the online channel. But that's actually easier to deal with in the US too. The big three (adorama, b&h, amazon) have a large overall share. In the EU, the online market is much more scattered. E.g., Germany's most important online dealer for Pentax is small overall and just specialized on Pentax.

So I guess, it will need some time untill unchecked units are all swapped out of all retail channels.
12-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #39
Inactive Account

ordered another

Got an RMA fron BH on mine today and just ordered another k-5 kit - (crosses fingers)
02-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #40

CR Kennedy (Australia) replaced mine today!!! Woo hoo!!
02-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #41
Inactive Account

So... is the problem isolated to a certain series in the production?

It would be great to know that when ordering one. Then i can demand they dont send one from that stock.
02-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
So... is the problem isolated to a certain series in the production?

It would be great to know that when ordering one. Then i can demand they dont send one from that stock.
It's hit or miss among the earlier serial numbers.
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
It's hit or miss among the earlier serial numbers.
So whats the latest serial number, being sold?
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #44

ned sez:

Once we fully understand the origin of the stains and how to deal with them we will encourage affected K-5 owners to send in their cameras for warranty repair.

that sounds appropriate. for the time being, i'll hang onto my camera then....just took a trip to santa barbara + san luis obispo....and there is the stain in some of my shots....a quick trip to photoshop with the 'healing brush' more or less go rid of it :P i have a baptism this wknd, and a wedding in two wknds...so perhaps we'll see what pentax sez by then; at any rate, looks like early march is when i'll send in my K-5

thanks to the OP & Miserere for posting this

-raph
02-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #45

My forth body the K5 will be here today and CRIS camera of Arizona said that it will be flawless it has taken 5 weeks to get it. I sure miss it!!!

Up date>>> the camera came this afternoon and they sent a K5 body as if you were to buy it of the shelf with the battery and charger and the neck strap and all the cords and a new manual. I think that was real nice of them to go the extra mile in taking good care of the customer with the extras. I checked it out and waallla good one. Now to start buying new lenses!!!

Last edited by Rick Clark; 02-08-2011 at 04:22 PM.