Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I received a K-5 from B&H yesterday (2/9/2011) and the first thing I did was a few 'stain' test shots.

While I did not detect any 'string of pearls' type of flaw, there was one decent sized spot that looked like dust more than anything.

I tested with two different primes, and it is visible at f11.

That spot, however, has defied any and all attempts at cleaning (in camera, Rocket Blower, and a Sensor brush).

So, it's back to B&H for a replacement.

The thing is that if this spot had developed after I had the camera for a while, I would probably live with it. But I guess I expect a new $1500 camera to be 'spotless' (pun intended).

FWIW

Last edited by dhodgeh; 02-10-2011 at 06:46 AM.
02-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
I received a K-5 from B&H yesterday (2/9/2011) and the first thing I did was a few 'stain' test shots.

While I did not detect any 'string or pearls' type of flaw, there was one decent sized spot that looked like dust more than anything.

I tested with two different primes, and it is visible at f11.

That spot, however, has defied any and all attempts at cleaning (in camera, Rocket Blower, and a Sensor brush).

So, it's back to B&H for a replacement.

The thing is that if this spot had development after I had the camera for a while, I would probably live with it. But I guess I expect a new $1500 camera to be 'spotless' (pun intended).

FWIW
funny, b+h sent me an alert and message noting their newest k-5 stock would be stain free.... (btw, love them.... the best online retailer i've ever had the pleasure of doing business with)
sorry to hear don that you're new k-5 was affected.... would've liked to see a pic of the spot...the same question still keeps goin' round and round... where is the quality control with pentax... sounds like they're making them in the middle of a field in a 1940's u.s. army surplus tent.... fwiw... i've got the funds to buy a new k-5, and since the stain issue is probably resolved, i'm gonna hang onto the cash until pentax releases firmware to address the focus issues..... please let us know how you make out with your replacement k-5...... best of luck...
dave m
02-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Imagine if the K-5 never have a styain issue, nobody would look at the sensor when they would buy it . Now everything is suspect.
02-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Imagine if the K-5 never have a styain issue, nobody would look at the sensor when they would buy it . Now everything is suspect.
Unfortunately, this be true.

03-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #50

yeah, that's right, including AF issues!
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #51

Yeah, I'm not considering the k5 purchase anymore until Pentax fixes these issues, and they better do it fast cause I'm looking pretty strongly at nikon/canon.
03-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Ei ole ollut Pentax käyttäjien vika. Jos on ollut jotakin tahra ongelmia kaikki on korjattu ja vaihdettu virheetömiin K-5. Osalla on viellä saamatta, mutta kaikki saa uuden tilalle. Nämä jotka odottavat viellä omaansa, ovat vain myöhemmin todennet oman vikansa. Kannatta ostaa K-5 se on tulevaisuuden suuri lupaus, seuraava versio on jo paljon aikaansa edellä.

03-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brensdae Quote
Yeah, I'm not considering the k5 purchase anymore until Pentax fixes these issues, and they better do it fast cause I'm looking pretty strongly at nikon/canon.
Then please go ahead and buy that Canikon...
This forum doesn't need people on the sidelines who got no guts to buy a Pentax to whine about it. No need to come here to justify or tell us about your thought process right?
03-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #54
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Then please go ahead and buy that Canikon...
This forum doesn't need people on the sidelines who got no guts to buy a Pentax to whine about it. No need to come here to justify or tell us about your thought process right?
I can't disagree that threatening to buy a Canon or Nikon here is sort of in "tantrum" territory...not really what we would call adult behavior, but I also look at the S# Database and see that there are a lot of frustrated buyers that have been through some fair amount of inconvenience.

My real question here is, should it take "guts" to buy a Pentax? I can't really picture that as great PR, and is equally as bad as threatening to buy a Canon or Nikon to my thinking? Just saying...
Best Regards
03-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My real question here is, should it take "guts" to buy a Pentax? I can't really picture that as great PR, and is equally as bad as threatening to buy a Canon or Nikon to my thinking? Just saying...
Best Regards
If you have a look at both Canon & Nikons track record on issues regarding there cameras, the issues are just as prevalent as they are with Pentax.

5DMKII has had so many major issues before people stopped complaining, Noise banding and Red Channel issues, which took (years?) to fix via firmware. Nikon has had Hot Pixels prevalent in D7000, and only offered a Firmware Pixelmapping option (we already have this as standard if need be) nobody offered to replace them, just hide them in firmware.

QC is something that ended a long time back, and every manufacturer wants your money now and will fix your product later, if enough people complain. Thank the wonderful world of updates via the Internet, which has left no need to get it right the first time.

All major models have had more than several firmware updates in their lifetime, some minor some major. The grass is always greener..... Or bluer, or redder depending in the firmware version.... .
03-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
If you have a look at both Canon & Nikons track record on issues regarding there cameras, the issues are just as prevalent as they are with Pentax.

5DMKII has had so many major issues before people stopped complaining, Noise banding and Red Channel issues, which took (years?) to fix via firmware. Nikon has had Hot Pixels prevalent in D7000, and only offered a Firmware Pixelmapping option (we already have this as standard if need be) nobody offered to replace them, just hide them in firmware.

QC is something that ended a long time back, and every manufacturer wants your money now and will fix your product later, if enough people complain. Thank the wonderful world of updates via the Internet, which has left no need to get it right the first time.

All major models have had more than several firmware updates in their lifetime, some minor some major. The grass is always greener..... Or bluer, or redder depending in the firmware version.... .
I was going to say something along these lines but you said it so well I can turn my attention to something else.

I must say one thing though; I love those people who say, when something goes wrong, - "I'll never buy from you again" and they say this when they full well know there are only two or three players in the game. When all they fail (and they will) where are they are going to go then ?

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
03-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a 30+ year Pentax user, who just bought a Nikon after returning a K5 with a January build date for a sensor stain. It's a shame folks are ridiculed for not wanting to spend their hard earned money on a defective product. Yes, all the major camera manufacturers have QC issues. For me the deciding factor was that the Pentax K5 was released in October and its almost 6 months later and Pentax has yet to formally acknowledge the FF issue or indicate any intention of a firmware fix for it. Given the lack of response to the SDM problems, I had no reason to trust that they will fix the FF issue. They couldn't avoid dealing with the sensor stain issue because it was so blatant. The FF issue is more subtle. I will gladly return to Pentax when they either fix the K5 properly or release a future body that does not have so many QC issues. The fact that a firmware fix has not been forthcoming, leads me to suspect that it is partly a hardware (read design or QC screw-up in the assembly process). If that is the case, there is no way Pentax can absorb fixing such a huge number of cameras when they are still up to their necks in the sensor stain issue. I would love to be proved wrong about all of this by Pentax.
03-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #58
Inactive Account

Minullakin tulee kohta täyteen 40 vuotta pentaksin käyttäjänä. Vaikka iK-5 on ollut 1.2.2011 lähtien takuu huollossa silti en lannistu. Enkä kinä ota nikon tai canon vaikka ilmaiseksi saisi.
03-08-2011, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I'm a 30+ year Pentax user, who just bought a Nikon after returning a K5 with a January build date for a sensor stain. It's a shame folks are ridiculed for not wanting to spend their hard earned money on a defective product. Yes, all the major camera manufacturers have QC issues. For me the deciding factor was that the Pentax K5 was released in October and its almost 6 months later and Pentax has yet to formally acknowledge the FF issue or indicate any intention of a firmware fix for it. Given the lack of response to the SDM problems, I had no reason to trust that they will fix the FF issue. They couldn't avoid dealing with the sensor stain issue because it was so blatant. The FF issue is more subtle. I will gladly return to Pentax when they either fix the K5 properly or release a future body that does not have so many QC issues. The fact that a firmware fix has not been forthcoming, leads me to suspect that it is partly a hardware (read design or QC screw-up in the assembly process). If that is the case, there is no way Pentax can absorb fixing such a huge number of cameras when they are still up to their necks in the sensor stain issue. I would love to be proved wrong about all of this by Pentax.
People aren't being ridiculed for not wanting to spend their money on a flawed product. They are being ridiculed for not giving the manufacture a chance to fix an issue on a part that was made by an entirely different manufacturer. People are blaming Pentax for a part made by Sony. Despite this, Pentax is doing all they can to rectify the problem, but that's just not enough for some people. People are also being ridiculed for making the same posts in 20 different threads. It gets old - we heard them the first time. People are being ridiculed because they think that making statements like, "I'm going to buy a ____ camera instead" adds anything or makes any difference. Does anyone really think that Pentax is going to read that and say to themselves "Oh my God - we must do something or we're going to lose this guy's money!"?

I'll say it again, at the risk of being redundant - only because some people are having a hard time understanding: Pentax is stuck trying to rectify a crappy situation that was the result of someone else's manufacturing problems. So if buying another brand or complaining about the problem in every thread, or blaming Pentax will help Pentax resolve this issue, sign me up. Otherwise, prepare for ridicule.
03-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
People aren't being ridiculed for not wanting to spend their money on a flawed product. They are being ridiculed for not giving the manufacture a chance to fix an issue on a part that was made by an entirely different manufacturer. People are blaming Pentax for a part made by Sony. Despite this, Pentax is doing all they can to rectify the problem, but that's just not enough for some people. People are also being ridiculed for making the same posts in 20 different threads. It gets old - we heard them the first time. People are being ridiculed because they think that making statements like, "I'm going to buy a ____ camera instead" adds anything or makes any difference. Does anyone really think that Pentax is going to read that and say to themselves "Oh my God - we must do something or we're going to lose this guy's money!"?

I'll say it again, at the risk of being redundant - only because some people are having a hard time understanding: Pentax is stuck trying to rectify a crappy situation that was the result of someone else's manufacturing problems. So if buying another brand or complaining about the problem in every thread, or blaming Pentax will help Pentax resolve this issue, sign me up. Otherwise, prepare for ridicule.

As the greatest thespian of our time, Charlie Sheen, says:

"We're dealing with fools and trolls".

My K-5? WINNING.