Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
I can clearly see the Olympus outperforming the K-5 here... Just look at all the colorful detail the Olympus is showing on the walls and ceiling in the first photo....
You mean the "extra" specks of colours the E-500 added to the beige-coloured walls ?

Hmmm...I think even the K-7 can do better than that at ISO 1600...

12-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
Even though I am seriously considering a K-5 myself, I have been getting very good low-light pictures at ISO 3200 from my K-x (with reasonably fast lenses -2.8). I'd be curious if anyone has a K-5 to K-x comparisons
That doesn't come as much a surprise. What comes to mind is the K-x was the Pentax body with a sensor that had a noise behavior which was by far the most mono-chromatic of all its predecessors (well, modern body; wasn't the *istD like that?), vs. the significant chroma noise the K10D, K20D and K-7 and others would produce. It led [most] everyone to say that sensor (or evolution of it) needed to be used in the K-7's replacement ... So you shouldn't lose sight of that fact or feel your K-x needs replacing; unless you want viewfinder focus feedback which is really the only negative I ever heard about that body.

Last edited by m8o; 12-14-2010 at 07:46 PM.
12-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
...She is in the process of getting a new camera, she was looking at the d300s or d7000. She is using an Olympus E-500 now.
BTW Brian, is she still limiting herself to only those two you cited or did the K-5's performance entice her?
12-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

When you get clean ISO 3200 shots from an APS-C camera you're doing really well.
Viva la difference.

12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Brian,

I have to ask, did you capture the K-5 shots in raw or jpeg, and, if the latter, was NR turned off?

Rob
Shot in JPEG and Ill have to check on the NR setting
12-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
A K-5, less than two minutes from my house, and I missed it! We've got to hook up one of these days.
2.5 minutes lol Whenever you want just give me a shout!
12-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
BTW Brian, is she still limiting herself to only those two you cited or did the K-5's performance entice her?
Im working on it,
12-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
E500 shot is terrible at 1600. Having said that, the k-5 shots here are inferior to what is usually posted. May be it is the uneven lighting, but the last shot at 3200 looks to have some visible noise, even at the size posted.
Did you have NR turned on in camera? Are these straight jpegs out of the camera.

Please, I am not dissing the camera. There are more than enought threads on that . Just my observation on these particular pics.

cheers,

Straight JPEG's out of the camera, Ill get back to the NR, but I believe it was on HIGH for that ISO