Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Got the replacement K-5 back today!

I got a call from my local distributor today telling me they have the replacement K-5 for me to pick up. Although I was extremely busy today I still went to their office in the afternoon as they are located only one bus stop away from my office.

There it was, inside my original packaging there wast the new replacement camera along with a new warranty card. My old (affected) K-5 has an S/N of 3827xxx and the new one is 3905xxx. I borrowed their 18-55 and did a quick test in their office, shooting a piece of white paper and could not see any issues on the LCD after zooming in. I also cannot see similar stain signs by looking at the sensor/AA filter surface directly with the aid of the LED flash on my iPhone 4.

I did a more "proper" white LCD screen test on my home computer tonight and couldn't find any problems either. Looks like I got a good one back. By the way this replacement is already on Firmware 1.01 out of the box.

Although I had to send back my old K-5 and waited about two weeks for the new one. My conclusion is still the same: the K-5 is a wonderfully balanced camera and quite possibly the best Pentax has produced in the digital age in my opinion. The fact that Pentax could quickly replace bodies with this issue is a sign of improved customer service and response. I hear affected users in Shanghai are also getting called in to pick up their replacements today. So it seems they're dealing with this problem in a timely fashion, in China at least.

I hope other affected users get their replacements soon. Christmas is just around the corner and you don't want to be without a camera!

Best,

Peter

12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good for you, Peter! And--heck yes-- even with the (mild) stain issue I love my K-5!
12-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds great, Peter. Congrats
12-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Rin
Forum Member

i have send back mine today, i hope i will have a new one before christmas, but i doubt it.