Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 Overexposure with Bounce Flash

Hello All!!! I have been following all of the previous threads regarding overexposure and bounce flash since I have 2 K-5's that exhibit the same behavior (I do weddings - kind of important). I went ahead and went to Pentax.com (USA) and started a chat (with Randall S) who wants me to send one of my cameras back to pentax (arizona). What I thought was funny was that he said that the tech department hasn't heard of this problem yet. I informed him of the 2 forums with their discussions of the problem and his response was that no one has been contacting Pentax Tech support with the issues. So, if anyone out there has the problem of overexposure with bouncing flash please call them or just chat with them to let them know that there is a problem. Thanks,

Eric

12-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have the same problem just put ev step on flash to -0.3 or -0.7
12-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Eric,
I also had issues with the hotshoe flash exposure and I set the flash exposure compensation to -1EV. The camera has phenomenal dynamic range that is actually great for bumping up shadow areas in case of underexposure. Over exposures are not so easily corrected, so it is better to under expose than over expose.

In terms of Pentax chat support responses, I am starting to think that they are told to tell anyone that they haven't heard of any issues from other customers, since I get the same response from them. I also asked about the well known tungsten low light auto focus issue and again, they said to just send it in or exchange it. In general, I have not found them to be particularly useful for dealing with real technical issues.
12-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I did a few tests using bounce flash and have no complaints.

12-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Japan knows of the phenomenon and is investigating it.
So far no response though.
12-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Have the same problem just put ev step on flash to -0.3 or -0.7
The same but i need -1 ev step...

Return of investigation awaited!!
12-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

new firmware changed at my k5 behaviour of the bounced flash... before i had overexpsure only above iso200 after upgrade i have it across the iso range i need -2 or -3EV. Either technician nor Pentax representative couldnt tell me anything about the solution....

12-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

+1 Same issue with the AF540

Mine is alright in direct on camera and wireless modes, but head tilted/bounced of the wall/sealing, flash fires at full power resulting in severe over-exposure... haven't tried to bounce it in wireless mode... but i'm guessing that it should be alright due to the way how wireless works...

Honestly, flash work left me scratching my head... For instance, after firing at full power (flash mounted on the camera), it takes a moment to re-charge... meanwhile, camera drops the shutter speed to "no-flash" level and can still take a shot (without firing the flash)... Somebody had really messed up the flash part during the new camera development... or i'm spoiled with Nikon...

Last edited by alexeyga; 12-16-2010 at 08:42 PM.
12-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Tried P-TTL on my K-7 and Metz. Almost always bounce or at least point upward with diffuser.

Bad experience.

Went back to auto on the Metz and life is back to normal. I don't have any experience with Pentax flashes.

Appears that Pentax needs to decide to get into or out of the flash business. Either way, bounce flash and P-TTL do not seem to play well together.
03-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not bad performance with the Sigma EF500 Super, but there is significant overexposure I experienced so far, even with the flash compensation turned down.

I've not used the AF540 extensively with my K-5, but it's come out nicely so far...

Last edited by Ash; 05-31-2011 at 09:38 PM.